I need a "Get Started" Shopping list...

Options
Any ideas of what I can add to my shopping list as it is my first day on fitness pal today and really need to go shopping to get everything I need... but I don't really know what I need!!! lol xxx

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you following any sort of nutrition plan, or just a general "eat healthier" target? Vegetarian? Any foods you dont like or allergic to?

Lean meats and fish - chicken breast, cod or tilapia, tinned tuna.
    Eggs. And cartons of egg whites if you like, but not essential.
    Semi-skimmed milk, cottage cheese
    Lots and lots of vegetables - tomato, cucmber, peppers, leafy green stuff like spinach
    Fresh fruit - whatever's in season, and whatever you like the best, but try to get a variety.
    Tinned tomatoes, and tins of beans (any kinds, chickpeas, re kidney, pinto...)
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    When I do my shopping I get lots of fresh fruits and vegetables....also with other products, read lables and make sure low in calories and fat. I found that it helps me to pre-plan some of my meals so that I know what I'll be buying from the store.
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts
    apples
    bananas
    Lettuce (I do fresh express 50/50 mix)
    cucumbers
    Pea pods
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    carrots
    onion
    garlic
    cabbage
    spaghetti squash
    Almonds
    Avocados
    Fish

I could go on and on. lol Hope that helps a little.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    - what you usually shop for, just less of it.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I shop, I try and stay on the outer ring of the store.. thats where the veggies, fruits, meats, dairy.. everything you NEED... 99% of the isles are filled with JUNK!
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    - what you usually shop for, just less of it.

This

If you change your whole shopping list at once you will never stick to the changes.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    May I suggest the Abs Diet 12 Power Foods:

1. Almonds and Other Nuts eaten with skins intact.
    2. Beans and Other Legumes
    3. Spinach and Other Green Vegetables
    4. Dairy: Fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese
    5. Instant Oatmeal: Unsweetened, unflavored
    6. Eggs
    7. Turkey and other lean meats. Lean steak, chicken, fish
    8. Peanut Butter – All-natural, sugar-free.
    9. Olive Oil
    10. Whole-Grain Breads and Cereals
    11. Extra-Protein Powder(Whey)
    12. Raspberries and Other Berries
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    oatmeal
    low-fat or fat-free yogurt ... Greek has an extra power punch (Fage is best)
    lots of fresh fruit and veg
    some low-cal power bars for when you need a protein boost, but don't have time
    a nice healthy cereal, like Kashi or Special K
    eggs
    tuna
    chicken breast
    hummus
    avocados
    whole wheat bread and/or crackers
    cassava crisps (if you can find them) or some sort of chip substitute
    rice crackers
    cottage cheese
    quinoa
    lentils
    your regular dinner stuff ... just the lean varieties of things
    peanut butter or almond butter
    low-fat milk
    dark chocolate ... for when you need something sweet ... this keeps me from eating ice cream, pastries, etc.
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know it is dull but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Get rid of anything processed that has added sugar and try to plan what you will eat during the day. For me my shopping list includes.....

Whole Chicken - I roast it, eat the meat in stir fry's, curry’s etc, make soup with the stock
    Lots of vegetable, onions, broccoli, carrot, peppers etc
    Butter - no more processed low fat spreads,
    Full fat milk - only 4% fat and loads more vitamins than skimmed or semi skimmed
    A little wholemeal bread
    brown rice
    Fish - salmon, tuna or trout
    A great breakfast is oats so while it is summer I have Muesli. Oats (85%) nuts - Cashews, Pistashio, brazil, hazelnuts, walnuts (7%) dried fruit (3%)
    Eggs - quick and easy to prepare
    Full fat yogurt

I stay away from anything that has artificial sweeteners

Good luck xxxx
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There was a thread recently on the top 5 foods that people can't do without, that might give you some ideas.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    Buy fresh fruit for snacking
    Try cut out the "heavy carbs" and the "oily stuff".
    Just log and count the calories you eating every day, that will give you the figures where to cut down and what to substitute.

Good luck with the MFP journey - it really works !!!!!
  • Spitbubblr
    Options
    Grab a large assortment of vegetables and fruits in particular. You would be surprised what you can do with a basic piece of fruit. I hope your weight loss goes well~~
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Meal plan - look up some healthy recipes for dinner that you'll enjoy. Plan some easy to make lunches and snacks. Tweak your current breakfast to make it a bit healthier.

If you just go in and buy everything you'll probably end up chucking half of it away. Have a plan and make a list. But make sure its stuff you have time to do and you will enjoy eating.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    My essentials:

Chicken and red meats, fish, prawns/scallops/seafood. I tend to avoid pork because I don't particularly like it. Chicken drumsticks/legs can be great to take to work/school for lunch.
    Eggs
    Full-fat milk
    Yoghurt (pref. Greek)
    Lots of Fruit & Vegetables. Lots of variety! Nothing's out of bounds as far as I'm concerned.
    High-fiber crackers to have instead of sandwiches - Ryvita, for example or oatcakes
    Strong-flavoured cheese ie. mature Cheddar or similar, feta, halloumi.
    Cottage cheese if you can cope with the texture - I go through phases on this one.
    Parmesan - you only need a little grated to give great flavour.
    Smoked salmon, ham, turkey slices for lunches
    Hummus or low-fat guacamole (just about the only 'low-fat' thing I do)
    Good dark chocolate - at least 70% cocoa solids
    Giant rolled oats
    Herbs & spices for flavouring
    A decent-sized potato or two.
    Cannellini or Kidney beans (more so in the winter). I really don't like lentils, but lots of people swear by them.
    Real butter
    Small loaf of bread that can be sliced, frozen and defrosted slice by slice. Pitta breads, wraps. Ditto on the freeze and defrost as needed.
    Dried fruits & nuts for portable snacks
    Frozen berries for smoothies
    Peanut butter. I'm thinking of trying almond as well.
    Brown/wild rice, bulgur or couscous. I love pasta, so I buy a packet of 'fresh' tortellini or gnocchi, and freeze it until I really have to have it.
    Olive oil - the good stuff - and balsamic vinegar. Vincotto if you can find it for oil-free salad dressings.
    Wasabi peas, if you can find them/can handle wasabi. A handful is a brilliant way for me to conquer the snack attack - the wasabi knocks out your tastebuds for a bit and they're very crunchy!
    I'm quite happy to have diluted elderflower or lime cordial with fizzy water instead of a glass of wine/whiskey in the evenings five days out of seven.

That's what works for me. You essentially need to make it as easy as possible, and as adapted to your lifestyle as you can. If it's difficult or doesn't work with what you have to fit into the day, chances are you'll slip more than you otherwise would. Good luck!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Veggies
  • skinnyro32
    skinnyro32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump