Smoking and ME

Options
2»

Replies

• 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I quit smoking over a year ago... from two packs a day to none.. I finally wanted to commit to leading a healthier lifestyle so I dropped it cold turkey. Also, my BBQ tasted even more delicious a couple days after.

It also helped that my fiances family has had heart problems in the past and I wanted her to quit as well. We both quit cold turkey together and have never felt better. Usually when I drink is when I want to smoke the most. I ended up in Vegas two weeks after I quit and I was able to refrain from smoking there. I considered that a victory and never looked back since.

It's all up to you. If you really want it you can quit. It took me 7ish years to finally want to make a change and quit.

Good luck to you!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps me, I think it is the focus on breathing. I quit ( FOR THE LAST TIME!) in June. I do drink tons of water, also once a week I chop bunches of veggies so that I always have a healthy choice to grab and munch-doubles by getting supper on the table faster too! Also jump rope or do crunches every time you feel like you are slipping. Just things that have helped me the past month!

yoga is not good for me since the focus on breathing makes me think of smoking and i would always have a cigarette the second i got out yoga class but everyone is different, you need to find what works for you.
  • isabellecmiranda
    isabellecmiranda Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There is a really cool app that I used. its called quit now. and it is free. you input all your info, your stats and there is an online community that helps you resist the cravings.

hope it helps.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I can last a few days and then the temptation takes over.
    you can last as long as you want to, dont ceed that power, your mind is in control, you just need to control your mind.
    What tips and tricks do you use to help you keep the cigs off? And if you are a smoker trying to quit add me to friends we can spur each other on .

I quit 14 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes ago, That's 142 cigarettes i have skipped and $41.65 i have saved. Those stats are powerful, no one wants to start over at zero. you can get your stats at quitnet.com

my two cents on quitting. you have to decide if you really want to quit, not kind of want to, not quit because your family wants you to but that you dont want to be a smoker anymore. if you cant say that you want to quit then dont try, might as well enjoy it until you decide enough is enough and you want to give it up since the battle will be an inner one.

like most everything else in life, it is mostly if not all mental. the mind can tell or teach the body to do anything but the mind can work against you if you arent completely committed.

think ahead and think about what success will look like. for instance, you said the toughest time to not have a cigarette is in the car then have it detailed, that little extra incentive will help, you dont want to waste all the money you just spent making your car nice. if you feel like you cant afford to detail your car think about it this way. how many packs will you spend on detailing the car. lets say it is 20 and that you smoke a pack a day. put the detailing on the credit card and in 20 days you will be able to pay the credit card bill... as long as you dont buy cigarettes during that time (yet more motivation)

my toughest time to not have a smoke is right after a workout. think about that time and think about it smoke free. you will need something to occupy yourself then and peeling and eating an orange works great for me. it occupies my hands and something about the citrus and natural sugar helps dull the physical cravings and oranges are good for you. good combo

change your routines as much as possible. it helped me that i quit at the beginning of a camping trip and like you, i will never smoke around my kids so that was a few days where it wasnt an option and it rarely came to mind even though those are supposed to be the toughest days. look at your week with the kids that way.

who else either doesnt know you smoke or you wont smoke around them for one reason or another? schedule a bunch of time with them in the coming days and weeks.

i dont tell people good luck since luck has nothing to do with it (and if you think you need luck then dont try to stop), it is all about deciding for yourself, deep down, without reservation, that this is something you want to do, then thinking about what that means and what it will be like to not have a break at 10a to go outside work or to not sit on your front steps after a meal or whatever your rituals are.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 days smoke free now. I'm taking Chantix and for me it has worked. The strongest part to being successful is a positive attitude that I can quit, I will quit, I am quit. If that makes sense. I do a lot of deep breathing exercises. I change up my routine. I was in the habit of smoking when I was at my desk on the laptop. I changed the location of the laptop. I was eating meals in front of the TV, I moved to eating at the table. Urges are less and less now. Of course focusing on my exercise and eating habits helps a lot too.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends had great luck quitting with acupuncture. Sounds like a nice, drug-free option.

I too, did it cold turkey, 12 years ago. It was like I just woke up one day DONE with it...realizing that it was the stupidest habit ever, and there was no point in adopting any HEALTHY habits along the way if smoking was still going to be a part of my life. Don't beat yourself up, it's HARD, it's an addiction, but it sounds to me like you are ready to kick it, you can do it! TENACITY!
  • settoloki
    settoloki Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys, There are 6 smokes left in the pack - They should last me until I pick up my kids this evening.

I will enjoy the last 6 and when I look at my kids next it will be as a non smoker (I realise I've spent all day smoking lol).

My official stop day will start on Thursday, but I'm not buying another packet.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    On the August 15th it will be 2 years, without cigs, cigars, roll-up or pipe after 53years of smoking, and tomorrow my wife and I are off on a short break paid for by the money I've saved.
    Yes, my wife and I put the cost of the packet of cigs in a pickle jar and it pays for these short breaks we have.

By the way Ican walk 3miles in 55mins without breaking a sweat and last week I did an 11 mile country ramble in 4hours 30 mins.

Good luck, with giving up, now if only I could lose the weight I gained since giving up, I'd really be on a winner..... lol

:drinker:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys, There are 6 smokes left in the pack - They should last me until I pick up my kids this evening.

I will enjoy the last 6 and when I look at my kids next it will be as a non smoker (I realise I've spent all day smoking lol).

My official stop day will start on Thursday, but I'm not buying another packet.

As a successful ex-smoker of 18 years, I'm going to tell you two things that you probably don't want to hear:

1) If you have 6 smokes left in that packet to get through before you quit, then you're not going to make it. Think about it! You want to stop smoking for ever, right? Then why are you going to finish that packet? Just chuck it out now and quit now. Man up! If you say things like "i'll quit after I've smoked 5 more *kitten*". Then you place the act of quitting at some unspecified, may-not-happen point in the future. Own it, and stop now in the present! Take those cigs, run them under the cold tap and throw them in the trash. Congratulations! You have now quit, proceed to step 2

2) So you've done (1)! Now you have to keep not smoking. The greatest threat to you is social. There are people in your life who smoke, they smoke around you. They carry smokes on their person. You are surrounded by smokes! You need smokes to be out of your reach when your will-power buckles. And it will buckle. You'll miss a train, someone will reverse into your car, you'll get dumped, your boss will be an arsehole, etc, etc, etc. Deal with the fact that relapse-causing stressful situations will be around you all the time. The first 3-4 weeks in particular are key whilst you're flushing that poison out of your body. This is where you have to be brutal - cut out all the smokers from your life for a month (at least - maybe up to 3 months for some people). Start to hang more with your healthier, non-smoking friends. Being in social situations with people who don't smoke gives you positive reinforcement. It also makes you realise that a massive component of smoking is actually social. You almost use that smoke as a prop in social situations. You need to train yourself out of this habit and that takes time and practice. And being immersed in social situations where this prop is not available to you is the fastest way to change your habits.

You may think "why should I listen to some w**nker on an internet forum who's telling me I need to cut people from my life?" Why indeed? All I would say is: "Do you REALLY want to quit? Or have a little play at quitting for 3 days?"
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago. Recently Ive begun to refuse to allow any smoking in my home or car by ANYONE.....my adult children and fiance' included. I hate the smell but mostly hated spending $400 a month on the damn things (between fiance' and myself). Now Im using that money to eat healthy, to not smoke and to be more active. When I reach my first goal of 100 lbs, Im buying a new car....an INFERNO Red Chrysler 300 C (similar to the white one in my ticker)

How'd I quit? Id love to say I just did........I just walked away but its not quite that simple. I was diagnosed with severe asthma, then UARS and SDB then Chronic Oxygen deprivation (O2 drops into the 70-80s while awake and into the 50s while sleeping) I figured it was from smoking as did everyone else. Have just recently found out it's not but still...I figured I better quit while Im ahead so I did.

I dont want one, I dont miss them, Im not even remotely tempted to start up again. Not being able to breathe doing the simplest task is not fun. Its scary and it infiltrates every part of every day. I CAN reverse most of this right now by losing weight and getting active and by the absolute sheer grave of GOD I WILL.......

....................and you CAN too. Please? For your precious lil babies..........quit now before ________ because it CAN happen to you......you, like me, are not invincible.
  • alsljl123
    alsljl123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 2 years ago with the help of CHANTIX. There are somethings that helped me. I used alot of gum and mints. I could not be around people who were smoking or the smell. And when I REALLY wanted one I reminded myself why I was quitting. Now when people talk about smoking around my daughter( one of my reasons, and the one that mattered the most) she says that "we used to smoke but we quit" and she says it with so much pride it makes me so glad that I quit.
  • Duckylette
    Options
    Hello there. Just wanted to share something with you...I should probably listen to my own advice, but I'm sure, as you know...you won't be able to quit unless YOU WANT TO. In all reality, as of this moment, I don't want to. It's easier for me to take and focus on one thing at a time, and right now, I'm focused on losing weight. Then, after I lose a good bit of what I want to, I will start working on quitting cigarettes.

I tried quitting back in 2009 with the help of CHANTIX, it wasn't expensive due to the help of my health insurance. It seemed to help, and it was nice considering you were able to smoke the first week of it. It gave me insanely crazy dreams though.

If you are trying to quit, here's a suggestion. I'm not sure if you like cinnamon, but if you do, buy some cinnamon sticks. They come in a small bundle at grocery stores (I usually shop at Kroger, so I KNOW they are there...I'm pretty sure they are at Publix as well) but breaking one of those in half and sticking it in my mouth and chewing on it really kicked the cravings. Not sure why, it just did :)

So, if you decide to try this out, I hope it helps you!!
    Good luck!
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    As I'm sure with anyone here to try and live a healthier lifestyle, if you are a smoker you are thinking of quitting. This is a battle I keep loosing.
    I can last a few days and then the temptation takes over.

What tips and tricks do you use to help you keep the cigs off? And if you are a smoker trying to quit add me to friends we can spur each other on .

T

I tried, plaster, gum, medication, hypnosis CD's, e-cigarettes ... the only thing that finally worked was to decide to stick to it. I stopped in the middle of the day and did not postpone it till tomorrow or Sunday or or, in the middle of an extremely hectic period in life ... and never touched one again.

The only thing that works is WILLPOWER.

You need to decide that you will stop, that you will not allow an addiction to kill you, that you want to stop NOW. and then "just" stop. It is that simple...
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I went to the NHS stop smoking group in my area - GP referral. You get a support group and information plus prescription nicotin replacement - so you immediately start saving the money you blow on smoking (v motivating) I just used patches, others used medication - cant remember the name but basically makes you feel ill if you do smoke.

I was on 10 a day (sometimes more) an had smoked since I was 14 (well over 20 years. Tried stopping often in the final 5 years. Smoking is a nightmare and highly addictive. Unlike most other addictive drugs its available all over the place so temptation abounds - see your doctor. Oh and freeze grapes for snacks, by a stress ball, fidget toy whatever. It can be done and you can do it too. Support groups was great cos you start to analyse how you smoke and why (triggers habits fears etc). Even tho I must have smoked about 20 on my way to the first 2 meetings.
  • annasara21
    annasara21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's Easyway. Stopped dead two years ago, although I smoked a cigar at a party recently and, guess what? I've had a few cigarettes since. I'm not too worried, going to read the book again at the weekend and I KNOW it'll get me off them again.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Also setting a quit date is good, plus its not just willpower - you have an addiction (dont underestimate that), deal with that first, then use willpower to never go back.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    Apart from the extra money, the better health , more activity, and general enjoyment of life... The best thing about giving up smoking is..................... I DONT SMELL LIKE AN ASH-TRAY.

You probly won't give up this time but try, try, try again.

:drinker:
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here is what worked for me-

1. I quit with someone else who was serious about quitting. (in my case my wife)
    2. Find other things to do to occupy yourself during those times you would normally light up.
    3. Don't be afraid to put on some weight- I would rather weigh a few more pounds temporarily than to continue smoking.
    4. Find the positive voices in your life... and listen to them- not the same ones in your head that got you into this predicament.
    5. Begin dealing with the stressors you have so far been using nicotine to "medicate".
    6. When you feel a craving to smoke at night, just go to bed.
    7. Last but by no means least-Seek the help of God through prayer and scripture.

This is a worthwhile challenge- Go all in! :)

BTW - My wife and I have been tobacco free since November 1, 2005.