runing till you throw up...

Options
jbug5j
jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
i started my wonderful journey on my treadmill two months ago and a few times i have felt nauseous. its about the time i start to feel like i cant go anymore and i have heard that when you feel like you cant go anymore go for another x amount of time/distance. i judge my runs by time so i just try to make my alloted time for the day. the thing is i slow down when i feel sick. should i keep going and risk really throwing up? should i go until i DO throw up? i really dont like throwing up.... lol

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't...but I'm no expert on running. I'm actually starting a running regime today:smile:

Well done you :smile:
  • jbug5j
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't...but I'm no expert on running. I'm actually starting a running regime today:smile:

:smile: thank you and well done yourself :smile:
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I used to do this when I was drinking too much water whilst working out. Try to not eat 2 hours before your workout and only have a few sips of water when working out. See if it makes much of a difference.

No, I don't think you should be running till you throw up.
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit sick sometimes when I run, I wondered if it was from eating too close to when I ran?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    uhh no..i'm a former athlete and i've never done anything (except drink, i didn play rugby :laugh: ) until i felt i needed to throw up.

vomiting is pretty much your body's way of saying "NO BUENO". why exactly would you think it's a good thing? :laugh:

sorry to :laugh: but i honestly can't believe i'm reading something where someone is asking if they should keep doing something until they throw up from doing it
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are going to throw up, your blood sugar level has probably dropped. I would suggest a small snack (such as a banana) before you run. I also would suggest the Couch to 5k program, it really works. 3 years ago I was 320 pounds, I'm down 125 pounds +/- and now run 50-60 miles a week and have never felt better.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    Not a good idea to run until you throw up, maybe your are going to fast too soon.
    Are you exercising straight after eating?

If this persists - a visit to the quack is advisable.
  • 30poundsofbeauty
    Options
    Same if I eat/drink before I run, i feel like throwing up. I usually just try to run through it and it goes away. It feels so gross though.

This is kind of a problem cause I like to drink coffee before my runs (like 2 cups about 20 mins before). Trying to find a way to fix this. I was thinking double espresso shot but we don't have an espresso maker.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    If you feel like you are going to throw up, your blood sugar level has probably dropped. I would suggest a small snack (such as a banana) before you run. I also would suggest the Couch to 5k program, it really works. 3 years ago I was 320 pounds, I'm down 125 pounds +/- and now run 50-60 miles a week and have never felt better.

:happy: i am actually on week 6 of the couch to 5k program :happy: good to hear someone suggest what im doing!!!! :happy:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a meal within 2 hours of running, and drink all of my water at least an hour before to avoid stomach upset.

If you've only been running for two months, and the nausea is due to working too hard, then I would slow my pace. You should not go all-out effort when you are a beginner runner. You risk injury. In the first 6 months (or longer) you are building a base and should be running at a pace where you can still talk. Intervals, speed work - harder effort training runs come later. Of course, this also depends on your general fitness level and so many other factors - but that is a general guide I've seen for beginners.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

:smile: thank you and well done yourself :smile:

I'll let you know how I get on...or don't get on. :laugh:
  • jbug5j
    Options
    uhh no..i'm a former athlete and i've never done anything (except drink, i didn play rugby :laugh: ) until i felt i needed to throw up.

vomiting is pretty much your body's way of saying "NO BUENO". why exactly would you think it's a good thing? :laugh:

sorry to :laugh: but i honestly can't believe i'm reading something where someone is asking if they should keep doing something until they throw up from doing it

im asking because i have heard both stop and keep going..... i dont find it funny at all because im being serious.....
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have never had that happen. I have gotten stiches (when your stomach hurts in a certain area due to running) But no puking
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says make sure you have a snack an hour before you run - low blood sugar can make you feel ill and like you can't go a step further.

But you also need to slow down. The only times I've ever felt or been sick running is when I've pushed myself to the very limits of my capabilities at races.

If you want to carry on with C25K, slow right down. Don't worry, once you've got the distance the speed will come naturally. Then, and only then, you can look at adding faster runs mid-week.

Also try running outside. It's easier to find a pace that suits you rather than trying to keep up with some arbitrary number you've punched into the treadmill.

Here are by beginner's running tips, some might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Note point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You're not in army training...

There is nothing wrong with stopping to walk until your heart rate is down a bit and the nausea subsides. then you can pick the pace back up. It is called intervals and good for you. Some good comments from other posters on eating, hydration, etc.

I'm a relatively experienced runner and there are times I can't finish my workouts due to heat, humidity, just not feeling it. I will do walk/run intervals to get through (and get home, since I run a loop trail) in those cases and the HRM still shows a good workout and calorie burn. No shame there...
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Feeling nauseous during endurance exercise isn't that uncommon, so you are not alone! And runners do throw up sometimes, no doubt. But I wouldn't advise you push through it at this point; you just need to build a solid endurance base, and you don't want to make running a less than pleasurable experience. Part of distance running is definitely learning where your thresholds are, and getting comfortable with being UNcomfortable. But that will come with time. If you are feeling sick, I would just continue to slow down the pace.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar and / or overhydration Are the likely culprits. But no, there's no virtue in vomit.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I get like that when my heartrate gets too high. For me, that is an indication to slow down a bit. It tells me that physically, my body isn't ready for that intensity.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    i cant believe all the people telling me to slow down. this actually makes me feel less guilty about when i do slow down mid run.

a little background: my walking is at 3mph, and my running is at 4mph. and i keep the treadmil set at those times when it says walk or run. when i get tired i keep the treadmil at 4mph but i just hold on and lengthen my stride. im SO glad i asked this question because i always felt like i was failing when i had to hold on. so for real thank you all!!! :happy:

ALSO! i will try the snack an hour before i run as well. i have some bags of quaker rice chip things that i hope do the trick. :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit sick sometimes when I run, I wondered if it was from eating too close to when I ran?

I find this too - I have to leave about 60-90 min between a meal and working out or I would throw up!