Subway salads - good or bad?!

Options
Hi all,

So i'm on a low carb/high protein plan and i like a subway salad bowl at lunchtime...double turkey meat, loads of veg and a bit of lite mayo.

Is that ok for lunch do you think?! worried that the veg isn't all green (i include peppers, tomatoes, olives, onions etc.) and the fat in the mayo?! xxx

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd have honey mustard or sweet onion sauce over mayo but I have subway salad all the time, I think it's a good lunch :)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Easiest way is to type it into the food diary and see what it comes up as. Then just remove it once you've made notes. :)
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    High in sodium, but otherwise a good choice. All colours of veg are good, and a little fat in the mayo is good too. Enjoy!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Salad is salad as far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong. Unless of course it's dripping in full fat mayo or cheese. But do as Ph4lanx said if you're concerned, enter all the ingredients in and see what it comes up as.
  • Malgorzata79
    Malgorzata79 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The salad portion is good (with all the veggies). However, not the turkey. Subway turkey (all their meats - ham,chicken, turkey, etc) is processed. In addition, the sodium on their turkey is ridiculous.

So if you are going to eat at subway - stick with the salad minus the turkey.
  • annasara21
    annasara21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not a Subway fan really,but the website is very helpful for letting you compare nutritional info; http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/salads-and-wraps.aspx
  • annasara21
    annasara21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just realised I sent you the UK version, I'm sure wherever you are they have equvalent on the local website!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thanks guys. It;s sooooo hard as literally everything is processed unless you cook meat/fish from scratch yourself - hard if you are grabbing food on the run! xxx
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't trust Subway salads at all. Look at that:

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx?id=salad&countrycode=USA

At first glance it looks ok but than look at teh little green letters below:

"Sandwich nutrition values include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cucumbers. Values do not include cheese unless noted.

Salads contain meat/poultry, standard vegetables and do not include salad-dressing or croutons.

Addition of other condiments and fixings will alter nutrition values. "

So the stuff which are the most calloric liek cheese and meat/poultry and dressing are not included ... ehhhhh ... guess why?

This makes me so ,mad!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I like Subway but have also noticed how high in sodium their meat is. Makes me sad.

That said, if you are doing just the salad, I don't think you can go wrong until you are using tons of dressing on it. A little meat on it can't hurt you.

I've noticed that if I drink a ton of water (anywhere from 2-3 liters a day, normally 3 for me) I don't retain the water from eating sodium.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    hey, agree with some of the other posters here, all salad is good green or not...but the turkey and dressings i wouldnt bother with....u can buy it elsewhere already cooked which isnt processed. its best making at home then u can totally trust whats in it. xxx