Please judge me

Options
Hello,

I would appreciate it if I could get some advice on my fat/carb/protein/fibre percentages in my diary. MFP seems to want me to eat loads of carbs but not as much protein or fibre. Is the fat level ok?

Thanks,
Georgina

Replies

• stannyxc
    Options
    How much of each should depend on your body type. Do some research into it, so that you can find the right proportions to suit you :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is not to change anything but to think of potentially bad things, i.e. fat and (non-fruit) sugar as maximums not to exceed. Think of the good stuff like protein and fibre as a minimum to reach or exceed.

Don't forget you need some of those "bad" things so don't cut back too much - make sure you're getting enough healthy fats and fruit and veg (which bump your sugar total up).

Some people choose to tweak their carbs (including good complex carbs) down and protein up, but I need a healthy dose to get me through long runs.

None of these things will affect weight loss as much as merely staying under your calorie limit.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    very quick look from me but I'd say that your Protein and Fat are way too low. Aim for at least 0.5g of protein and fat per lb of lean body weight (up the protein to 1g if you exercise hard).

for you this would be between 60 and 130g (estimated) of Protein per day and about 60g of fat.

Fiber looks OK most days.

Best wishes.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    As people told me, teh protein and fibre levels here are too low and I ussually go well over them. When it comes to carbs I think it's ok. I eat a lof veg and fruits and tehy are massive in carbs but these are good carbs so I wouldn't worry. How I see it: if you stick to teh callory limit and go over with proteins and fiber it's ok, try to stay within fat limit. Getting close to carb limit is easy if you eat a lot of veg and fruts.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    MFP basically uses US government guidelines for percentages of calories from each macro. If you are going to use the default (I do), then you should view the protein target as a minimum amount. A lot of people who are trying to lose weight or build muscle will eat a much larger amount of protein (40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein) because it helps them feel fuller on fewer calories or because it supplies protein for muscle-building. If you want to do that, you can go into your settings and change them manually.

The big change I would make looking at your diary is to eat more. You have way too many days where you are eating fewer than 1200 calories. Please check out the BMR calculator in the tools section and figure out your basal metabolic rate. You should almost never be eating fewer calories than that in a day; your body needs them to keep your heart pumping and your spleen doing whatever spleens do.
  • evademers
    Options
    I workout for about an hour a day sometimes a little less. I eat alot of carbs but they are the good carbs from fruit, oatmeal veggies ect. I eat alot of protein because of my workouts I usually go over I eat between 100 and 150. Protein is good for muscle rebuilding from working out. You need good fiber to keep things moving along..lol. I read on Jillian Michaels webpage what body type I am and she gave me the carb amounts and protein amounts and what I should be eating. I have alot of food allergies so I have learned how to make a killer protein shake and I have that twice a day. You welcome to friend me and look at my diary, just ignore yesterdays chocolate cookie bing...haha. We are all different when it comes to what we need to lose weight. Ive been working out for almost 3 months and havent lost a pound but you can see in my pics that I am losing inches and thats what matters. Yesterday I was able to fit into a pair of jeans and they were a little loose. Yea!! If you need support just let me know :)
    Eva
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I shall up my protein.

For the person who said I need to eat more - thank you for this, please note that some days I forget to track my dinner or snacks - this is mainly at the weekends when I only go on the MFP app from my BlackBerry as I do not use the computer at home.

I know this is not ideal for weight loss but I do actually note down the calories on my BB (as the app sometimes doesn't load up) and I know that I am still around my goal, give or take 100 cals!! :)
  • queenhiphop
    Options
    Thank you evademers, please do add me.

How can I find out what body type I have and how it affects my particular intakes? Thanks.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I don't do ratios...I never did well at math in school...But what I do know is that for women we tend to need to keep our carbs lower....like 150 a day or lower (mine are set up at 209 through the site). I try to keep mine around 100, but I try to keep at least 1/2 of that as "good carbs" like veggies and fruits. I almost always go over the 100 mark...but it is because i eat so many fruits and veggies. Also I know that the set up that they have (if you don't adjust it your self) for your protein is low. Mine is at 57 through this site...but I try to hit at least 70 every day. Fiber I get plenty of so I don't worry about that...I take supplements for it. Sorry not ratios but I hope it helps :)
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    This site also helps with the protein amounts and showing you where you should be at. http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/
  • queenhiphop
    Options
    Thank you, that is helpful.

I have increased my protein to 150 grams. I am 209 lbs but I don't really want to eat 209 grams of protein a day, and I am sedentry with only about 3 exercises a week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that is helpful.

I have increased my protein to 150 grams. I am 209 lbs but I don't really want to eat 209 grams of protein a day, and I am sedentry with only about 3 exercises a week.

That amount of protien should be fine for you. Your fats are too low. Shoot for about .8 grams per kg. You are well under that. Can't tell on carbs as your diary doesn't show them but just let them fall where they do after protein and fats are set.