I dont know why i keep doing it :(

Options
Hello all,

I am not sure if other people suffer the same thing, i am very good with my diet generally and having lost 43lbs (28lb since joining MFP in january) its been really good, but i keep having days where i fall back to eating crappy food, what makes it worse is it always makes me feel crappy afterwards but yet i seem to be unable to stop it!

Just frustrates me really, does anyone have any similar experience?

Thanks

Luke

Replies

• queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yes......... I have those days!!!!!! As long as it is only one day a week maximum and you're not going insane (like 3000+ cals) then I wouldn't worry too much.. I make up for it for two days after, usually.
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it :) What's important is that you have more good days than bad. Maybe when you have a bad day, use that as motivation to have more good days. You can do it!
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have those days too. Especially if I am having a busy day at work and didn't plan very well and don't have anything in my bag snackwise. So then I grab something not too healthy - like a McDonald's smoothie - I doubt it's really REAL Fruit. Don't punish yourself, just keep moving forward.
  • louisem1982
    Options
    Yes I do it! Usually when I am not very busy and have too much time on my hands!! I try to go out for a walk when the urge comes on - usually I don't succeed and give in though and try and make up for it on the next few days!
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are entitled you eat what you want, i have mcDonalds nearly every week as a treat, i still log it and lose weight :) its all about moderation. Don't look at it as dieting, more like a lifestyle choice.

Yes eat healthy, but if you fancy having a chocolate bar or chips have them, just not everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner :)
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am not sure if other people suffer the same thing, i am very good with my diet generally and having lost 43lbs (28lb since joining MFP in january) its been really good, but i keep having days where i fall back to eating crappy food, what makes it worse is it always makes me feel crappy afterwards but yet i seem to be unable to stop it!

Just frustrates me really, does anyone have any similar experience?

Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke,

I agree with everyone that yes, we will experience these kinda days. You are doing a slow and steady journey since January and 28 lb since January is awesome!

My last crappy food experience left me feeling the same way as you described. Crappy.

July 4th I had my favs Cape Cod Potato Chips and some red wine. Later that night I had some more. During the night my stomach
    was miserable and in the morning I felt crappy. June it was late night snacking when I was stressed.

When I think I want to eat unclean food I try to remember just how crappy it makes my body feel. If I need more motivation I look myself in the mirror and jsut say “NO’.

This helps me make healthier decisions. Seems to be working more and more for me. Good luck.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have lost a similar amount of weight and I have enjoyed my food too. I work my calories over the week and save calories each day so I can plan treats. There is a weekly graph on the app which helps with this. Maybe this is something to consider? As long as you are within your calorie allowance for the week then you can have those days where you aren't eating so well. Remember that you still have to log these bad days though!!
    Good luck with your journey
    X
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss so far!

I agree on the not beating yourself up about it. Two things helped me with this:
    1 - I took a total break from sweets and white refined carbs. I was trying lots of low-fat, low-sugar dessert substitutes...which, I understand, work for a lot of people, but they just made my cravings worse. I found that potatoes in particular made my sugar cravings worse for a few days after eating them - even if they fit into my calories. I think I took about a month or two off totally from these. I still rarely eat them, but I'm a fan of the "everything in moderation" club. :smile:

2 - I plan for indulgences. I know lots of people don't like the term, but I'm not sure what else to call it. I have a "free day". I eat things I am genuinely craving but don't eat as a normal part of my healthy diet. Pizza, chocolate, baked potato, ice cream, etc. I still watch my portions, but this really satisfies me and I'm not tempted to eat poorly.

Good luck!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you are able to stop it, because you don't do it every day. you just let yourself do it some days and then act like you can't control it. Why don't you designate cheat days, like on fri or saturday, and then stick to your guns the rest of the week - have a cheat day, and then back to healthy eating. A lot of folks do it this way and it works. You're not depriving yourself of the stuff you want to eat, but it's limited to one day a week of indulgence. Actually when I've done cheat days it usually ends up being one cheat meal (because I have a healthy breakfast) and then it's out of my system....
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I randomly thought of this the other day and it may help. Put some pictures of starving people on your fridge. It drives home the fact that we have WAAAAY more than we need.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Focus on the goal! I lost 30 pounds two years ago just dieting (not exercise but I am this time), once I started feeling comfortable with my weight I started eating bad again....I was in the mind set for MONTHS that I would "just eat bad today and start again tomorrow". Guess what? I didn't. :( Now I've gained those pounds back (plus an additional weight gain from starting a depo shot). Now I'm starting over and it sucks. I'm mad at myself for being sooooo close and still messing up. This diet and exercise thing isn't even hard! I definitely think it's okay to have a cheat day (or just a meal) but not too many! I hope my mistakes can be your motivation! Remember that you are doing this to feel good! And you don't ever want to go back! :) I started again 7 weeks ago and lost 9.5 pounds! If I just had the strength last time, I could have met my goal easily. No going back this time!
  • lukasmy2k
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for me i think its the fact that i always feel ill after but keep going back, almost like an addiction :S

it just frustrating as i get wound up by myself having no self control lol
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i have those days too, usually the weekends. i always feel sick afterwards, you'd think i'd learn my lesson but I don't.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Yes, btdt. Here's how I fight it.

1. Find foods I LOVE to snack on. These become my new comfort foods.
    2. When I'm feeling good, prep these foods so I can make them into "grab it quick" options.
    3. When I feel like crap or just wanna crash with a snack, grab the good one.

Number three is tough without one and two (for me). HTH
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i'd say a lot of us do it. As long as its only once in a while and you get right back on plan it wont hurt. I'm like another poster i think i want it but once ive eaten it i feel sick and it keeps me from doing it again for quite a while
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    :sad: Luke,
    You are not alone! I am doing the same thing!
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You are entitled you eat what you want, i have mcDonalds nearly every week as a treat, i still log it and lose weight :) its all about moderation. Don't look at it as dieting, more like a lifestyle choice.

Yes eat healthy, but if you fancy having a chocolate bar or chips have them, just not everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner :)
    AGREE!!!
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't have the crap around you so you can grab it. And never leave home without a healthy choice to lean on, thats easy to grab. We tend to eat out of habit, and what is easy to grab. So trick yourself into having no excuse to eat the crap. Then if you do eat it, you know it was a choice you made consciously, and you will have no excuse other than you chose to do it.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to fall of the wagon sometimes. When you eat crap, you feel like crap. It's a great reminder of why you're doing this :o)
  • camron1988
    Options
    Its not so, bad. When I go over on my calories I try not to go over my deficiency, So I am actually gaining weight. I am just not losing weight, and if you do go over just do better the rest of the week. You just have to beat the spread and its still weight loss. Also you should find some cardio activities you enjoy. Running is great but its hard for a lot of people to do for an extended period of time, and if you dont like to do it chances are your not going to so often. Me I mostly ride my bike and I some times double or even triple my calorie intake. there is alot of different options, You just have to find what you like. I would also recommend a heart rate monitor, keeps you from getting lazy and helps you burn more calories.