is it???

Options
i heard today that there are some people.. there bones are considered too big! and they weigh too much! and they can't get to a certain weight! bcoz of there big bones!!! anyone heard of that b4? is it a female thing? or a guy thing? and if it is ture! how do i know how much is my bone weight!!!

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Some people just have a larger frame than others. There's no reason a person with a large frame can't reach a healthy weight.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone has a different size skeleton. Mine is a little bigger but that doesn't mean I can never make my goal weight. I just have to understand that making a goal like 115lbs at my height is not going to be healthy for me.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    so it is true! and does the bone really way much!
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    so how do i know if my frame is large or not! i look quite small and short! and little bit fat tho:bigsmile:
  • NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    your bones are here to stay; don't worry about how much space they're taking up. :smile:

just eat right and exercise and it'll work itself out
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can calculate frame size from wrist size and your height through various sites on the net :-) I am large framed and 5ft7 anything from 120-164 lbs is healthy by BMI but going by frame size 140-163 is a more ideal goal for me according to frame size tables. I have good strong broad shoulders and a large rib cage, as a teen I was 145lb and my ribs were sticking out, by 140 lb my hip bones could be seen going by this I dont think for me 120 lb is realistic. My goal is 140lb :-) If I were small framed 120 would be realistic and medium frame somehwere in the middle :-) say 130lb would be

I posted the link on my profile sos where I worked out my frame size :-)
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've got a medium-large frame, I will never be "waif like" but I am hoping to not be so padded. ;)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Bone size won't change after you've finished growing Late teens/early 20s. But bone density (and therefore skeletal weight) changes throughout life. Using skeletal weight as factor in overall body weight sounds a little lame to me to be honest.

Note: Strength exercise will promote bone density increase.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can calculate frame size from wrist size and your height through various sites on the net :-) I am large framed and 5ft7 anything from 120-164 lbs is healthy by BMI but going by frame size 140-163 is a more ideal goal for me according to frame size tables. I have good strong broad shoulders and a large rib cage, as a teen I was 145lb and my ribs were sticking out, by 140 lb my hip bones could be seen going by this I dont think for me 120 lb is realistic. My goal is 140lb :-) If I were small framed 120 would be realistic and medium frame somehwere in the middle :-) say 130lb would be

Thanks for posting that - interesting - will take a look
  • SarahSosi
    Options

will have a look at it thanks Bekiee :flowerforyou:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My guess is that bones do not weigh as much as fat!!!!!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Big boned is a myth, an excuse. At most a very different or large frame may throw off some BMI calculations but the idea that someone's bones weigh an abnormal amount is ridiculous.

Everyone has different sized / shaped frames, I have wide shoulders for example, but this is in no way related to my weight or ability to lose it.

image005.jpg

Its not bones showing on the scale.
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    My guess is that bones do not weigh as much as fat!!!!!

apperantley for some people they do! i just wanted to know :bigsmile: so i that if iam big framed i don't kill my self over diet for nothing!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can also do a search on the internet and find-out how to calculate if you have a small, medium, or large frame -- something with measuring your elbow something or other. And there's a whole chart for height vs. frame and a healthy weight for that height/frame.

But I do believe that "heavy bones" is just an excuse. Different frame size is real though.
  • Slim7Dee
    Slim7Dee Posts: 17
    Options
    If you have a large frame your goal weight should be at the top end of the suggested scale. I.e.with my sex, height, age and frame - this could differ from my neighbour who is a different sex, has a smaller frame and is much younger than myself.
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/451497-how-to-find-out-your-body-frame/ that's the link for how to know if you are large on bone frame or not! thanks Bekkie :heart:
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    If you have a large frame your goal weight should be at the top end of the suggested scale. I.e.with my sex, height, age and frame - this could differ from my neighbour who is a different sex, has a smaller frame and is much younger than myself.

quite true thanks for sharing the wisdom hun
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    I like this post, ive always been called BIG BONED since i was a child..
    .Bull****. x
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The scale I bought recently supposedly calculates the percentage of your body that is fat, water and bone..not sure how accurate it is but I guess it could give a general idea...
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    That isn't true. There is no such thing as big boned. Granted that your bones may be longer due to height though. I remember watching and episode of Bill Nye the Science guy and he mentioned that its not true. And if Bill says something ain't right. Bill is right!

meh.ro4979-455x303.jpg