Amount of exercise

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
I do around 45 mins of cardio 5-6 days a week as well as lifting...when I log it in MFP it says I've burned around 200 cals and I never eat the back cals....is that enough? Reading on here some are doing enough exercise to burn 400-500?

Guess I just want to know if I'm exercising enough?

Replies

• Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What kind of cardio do you do? 200 cals in 45 mins is very little.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    TC

45 min of cardio is very low...what kind do you do?
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I'm doing a workout at home DVD called " Charlie Brooks before and after " workout, it's quite fast :frown: I'm just going to google it and says how many I should be burning..be right back:laugh:
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If I do cardio intervals for 30 minutes, I can burn 350-430 calories, because I'm pushing myself very hard. It is important to change up your exercise, because your body will eventually adapt.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i suggest you get a HRM- Heart Rate Monitor to have an accurate count of your calories burned...MFP isn't always accurate.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's not "very little" for 45 mins, really....it all depends on the type of exercise, level of exertion and the body type and metabolism for each individual.

Eg: You can do easy cycling (which is still cardio) for 45 minutes and burn around 200 cals only. Or you can do vigorous cycling for 20 mins and burn 200 cals.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    It said around 250 ish cals for 45 mins on someone weighing 10st 7lbs...I weight just under 8 stones so that would be less calories burnt for me?
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. The heavier you are, the more cals you tend to burn.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My minimum calorie burn I like to have is 250. I eat back about 75% of those calories, but I am trying to lose the last couple of pounds very slowly. I am basically maintaining. I suggest getting a polar HRM for your exact calorie burn. I love mine and
    it has really helped. I know when I am pushing myself or when I am just getting by.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I've started interval training on a treadmill, walk one min run one min and did first session this morning, I did it for 25 mins so think I'll give that a try also
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 miles @ 3mph every other day. This seems to work for me (so far)...I haven't sped it up or added more time because I have 3 steep hills that are in this walk..and my heart rate is up there when I walk and I can still feel burning in all my muscles so I know it's working. According to MFP I am burning about 241 calories for that. I would like to think it's more but I'm going to go with what they say.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I used a HRM this morning while running and I reached my peak of 190 so was pleased with that:smile:
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hey lizzie
    i used to do that workout a lot too (omg at the before and after pics! although the fake tan helps lol) but i did get really used to it so now just do various les mills classes at the gym.
    anyway, I have a HR monitor and I would burn 420-450 doing that workout HOWEVER I was 200lb when I did it, so you would expect to burn less at your weight. I agree a HR monitor would be a good investment? Alternatively, if I dont wear my HR monitor e.g. walking, I use the MFP guesstimate then eat back only half the cals, just in case its an overestimate.
    Good luck! x
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline HRM. I walked for 55 minutes...3 miles at 3.5 mph. My HRM said I burned 600 calories and mfp said 322 calories. I would buy an HRM so you can get an accurate number. It made a big difference for me.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Oh i just saw this! Well done at the max heart rate, although dont push yourself too hard too long, intervals are better ive heard!
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    ^^^ Oh i just saw this! Well done at the max heart rate, although dont push yourself too hard too long, intervals are better ive heard!

:laugh: :laugh: thanks :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It said around 250 ish cals for 45 mins on someone weighing 10st 7lbs...I weight just under 8 stones so that would be less calories burnt for me?

If you're exercising at about 50 % VO2max that's credible. 16.2 ml/kg/min.

All depends on your aerobic fitness. Fat people generally aren't olympic athletes wearing a fat suit so the notion that calories go up with weight has to be approached with some suspicion.