Replies

• mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump these many good ideas...
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Eating clean doesn't always mean faster weight/fat loss.

Eating clean should not be use just to lose weight. You can eat as clean as you want but you will not lose weight if you eat more than you should. Eating clean is about longevity and good health in general.

But the thing is you don't have to eat clean for good health.

Just continue eating all the processed food you can buy and will continue eating healthy. To each its own.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It is necessary, unfortunately you're going to have to come to terms with it,

i was the same, but trust me after a while you will start looking at those kinds of food with disgust, and will only want something healthy.

You are what you eat, is a very true saying.

And, indeed, you are what you eat eats (grass fed vs grain, meatwise).

Sure, you can drop weight eating nutrient-poor food but why short-change yourself in a wider sense? :)

Eat less junk, crave less junk.
  • alexvallely
    alexvallely Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of veggies at all, but I've learned some really helpful tips-
    1. Put spinach in everything: smoothies, eggs, sandwiches and pitas
    2. Sometimes texture makes a difference. I hate "crunchy" veggies, but sautéed, I love peppers and onions, and throw them in eggs, tacos, etc.
    3. Make as much as you can ahead of time. Grill chicken, make big batches of soup or chili, pre-slice veggies. Bake whole chickens or pork roasts. Many meals that take minutes to put together.
    4. Plastic containers are your friends.

It's not always the easiest, but you'll feel so much better not eating crap. Good luck!

Spinach is food of the gods.

Also, you need to take a step back and realize that this isnt just about you anymore. Change now so your kids dont have to go through this whole process when there older as well. Dont reward them with sweets or anything sugary. Keep trying with the veg and it will happen, they will eat it if there are no other choices. They might whine about it now but trust me when older and wiser they will thank you. I really hope you find some easy meals to make that will benefit your whole family. Even adding peas and carrots to a chillii or pasta sauce is a start.. good luck :)
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just to have to add that I absolutely detest the phrase "eating clean". For some reason, I find it super annoying. I eat fresh, healthy food and have eliminated the packaged stuff, but I refuse to use that phrase. It grates on my nerves.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight at a fairly consistent rate beginning in January and going through May. I did not eat "clean," but did eat healthier than I had before and thought I was making good choices. Then in June I went on vacatoin with my cousin who was eating "clean" and losing weight at twice the rate I was. I decided to eat like she did. Well, needless to say, I have utterly failed at it because it is not a way of life that I can sustain or even like. I have not lost another pound since I tried it and I have actually gained 4-5 pounds.

I figured out this week that the problem was if I could not eat "clean" then I felt like a failure anyway, so I just went back to eating the old horrible way I had before. Instead of Subway for my fast food, I was going to McDonald's and getting burgers and fries again, instead of yogurt, I was getting ice cream sundaes again (sometimes 2-3 times a day). I have figured out that it is not an all or nothing for me. I cannot just eat clean and live that way.

Now I am back to eating within my calories and trying to stay healthier, but logging every bite again - even if it is junk food - and doing my exercises. Just 3 days in and I already feel better about myself because I am eating in a way that is sustainable to me and I know based on those first 5 months that I will be successful in losing the pounds and inches this way.
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    To add something constructive to the thread, have you tried making mashed cauliflower? It is a good substitute for mashed potatoes, and my kids LOVE it! They don't even know they're eating veggies!
  • Allison714
    Allison714 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I just to have to add that I absolutely detest the phrase "eating clean". For some reason, I find it super annoying. I eat fresh, healthy food and have eliminated the packaged stuff, but I refuse to use that phrase. It grates on my nerves.

I have to agree with you on this one!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Eating clean doesn't always mean faster weight/fat loss.

This. Aim for "cleaner" instead of clean.

I like to buy bags of frozen mixed vegetables, both the generic corn, carrots, peas & beans type, and the ones like "Italian Blend," "Oriental Blend," etc. I toss them in with whatever rice or pasta I might be eating (and this is where I refuse to go clean, because I love rice and pasta), and they have the flavor of whatever sauce or seasonings I'm using.
  • Philbo102
    Philbo102 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i dont generally have to do the meals from day to day in my household as my wife is a stay at home mummy and takes cares of it but i understand our pain as we have 4 kids 2 of which are autistic so it is no easy task to keep yourself and your family on a healthy eating plan. the only idea that came to mind when i read your post was just to plan to make one small change a week. weather thats buy the drive food for the main but have fruit at home for the dessert or something.
    I dont know how your your kids are but if they are fairly young you can incorporate the veg into learning, ie colours, senses, not neccasarally at meal time but just as a game, that way you may be able to learn what they like in terms of veg and fruit.

waht ever you do keep at it. i think the changes you have made are fantastic and big steps.. just remember not every step has to be as big.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You need some simple and easy recipes. We were all new to cooking once, and I had certainly never cooked anything healthily at one point. But now I'm used to it, I love cooking, and it tastes much better than prepackaged food. If you want me to give you some of the recipes I used, inbox me.

As for getting your kids to eat more veg, you need to incorporate them into meals that they aren't likely to notice as much, rather than just giving them steamed veg. A stew is a great way to make tasty veg. Or stick a few peppers in your curries. Mushrooms in your spag bol. Etc etc.
  • missattitude57
    Options
    Try this cookbook! I saw a review of it on tv where they made a bunch of the recipes and tested them out on kids and they actually ate them and enjoyed them. It's full of recipes that sneak healthy foods into foods kids love like mac and cheese and brownies. I'm thinking it would help sneak the veg into your own food too :) Plus it's only $12, what do you have to lose? lol http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/deceptively-delicious-jessica-seinfeld/1100718426?ean=9780061767937
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found some of the cookbooks by Sandi Richard to be great to help with meal planning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of steamed or raw veggies either. I like to roast, stew or stir fry them. Don't be afraid of a little healthy fat. Your body needs it.

If none of the kids have peanut allergy, try stir frying broccoli with peanuts. It's delicious!

Or put reduced fat cheese on your veggies. Homemade soups, chilis and stews are a great way to incorporate vegetables into a meal. Stew root vegetables (sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, turnips, ruatabaga, etc) with pork tenderloin or lean pork roast. The veggies get so sweet and go really well with pork.

Pasta salad is another veggie friendly dish that many kids love. My kids used to ask for it when they were young.

Pasta sauces are another great way to incorporate veggies. You can puree them together till smooth and pour over pasta. Or pour over zucchini strips or spaghetti squash if you are trying to reduce carbs.

Celery or carrot sticks with peanut butter is usually a hit with kids.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My kids are picky about veggies too but if I make a casserole they are more likely to eat it. It changes the taste of the veggie. I do alot of chicken or ground turkey for the meat. Sometimes for broccoli or cauliflower I will make a cheese sauce for them, totally homemade. It only takes a few minutes and they gobble it up!! I dont eat it just cause of the cals & fat, but I do like it. My mom did that for us when we were little. Make a brown sugar glaze for carrots.... cooked carrots, a lil brown sugar & a lil butter (the real stuff not margarine), and viola, yummy veggie!!
  • amymt10
    Options
    Try this cookbook! I saw a review of it on tv where they made a bunch of the recipes and tested them out on kids and they actually ate them and enjoyed them. It's full of recipes that sneak healthy foods into foods kids love like mac and cheese and brownies. I'm thinking it would help sneak the veg into your own food too :) Plus it's only $12, what do you have to lose? lol http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/deceptively-delicious-jessica-seinfeld/1100718426?ean=9780061767937

I have used these recipes, they are very YUMMY!! You cant even tell the veggies are in there. The banana bread w/pureed cauliflower is absolutely delicious!! you dont even taste the cauliflower! I took one day and pureed tons of different veggies, put them in ice cube trays and froze them. Pull out as needed :)
  • amymt10
    Options
    I also tell my kids what the veggie does for them ... carrots help you see better and etc. Sometimes I dont really know what it "does" for you so I make it up and they get a real kick out of it. The other day my 3yr old asked me what squash does, I told him if he ate it he could jump higher. When dinner was over he got up and jumped and then told me "Mommy did you see me?? I jumped alot higher!! The squash made me do it!!" I tell them any meat helps their muscles which they like cause they want muscles like daddy, they eat their meat up!! It makes dinner fun and there's less whinning about what is placed in front of them.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out over the big picture!

Think of this as a life style change that is a journey.

Just like anyone who is addicted to anything you have taken the first step by recognizing that you are consuming things that are not healthy choices. And, you have taken the second step by starting to adjust your habits. So, bravo for a great start!

Now, as your lifestyle adapts and adjusts to these first small changes, start to make more. Try simple daily things to start. Example - tomorrow, make a promise to yourself that you will not have any soft drinks. Next week plan to not stop for any drive through for the week. etc, etc etc.

Then as you get comfortable with the reduction of less healthy food choices, start experimenting with healthier choices. Try oatmeal for breakfast for an entire week. Try a new recipe for supper one night, etc. etc. etc.

All the small daily choices you make will very quickly add up to a big positive change in your life. It will not take long before you look back in amazement at how much has changed in your life!

Best of luck on your journey!