is anyone else doing a calorie intake of 1200?

Options
13»

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    When I set up my MFP, it tells me that I should have 1700 cal a day!!! Yikes I thought that was high. I have never gone over the 1200 range so I think that is more like it. Maybe I am just way bigger that all the rest. IDK

I just checked your profile....you have a pretty active job...that will account for quite a lot of cals. Also, are you taller or have less to lose? That also effects the cal count.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    This is a great topic to post on. I have learned a lot from reading from all of you experts out there. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also have a calorie intake of 1200. I am 5 ft tall and that calorie count lets me lose just over one pound a week, I love good food and evn though I cook healthy, I do find it a challenge to eat for under 12000 calories. I can manage just fine, but sometimes use my workout calories for the day. I cook with lots of fresh vegetables and sometimes make two different versions of the same meal. One normal for the family, for example spaghetti with pasta for the family and a version with less meat in the same sauce served over spaghetti squash for me. I like the challenge of seeing what I can create in meals to keep me under my limit.
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their hints and tips, i'm taking it all on board so thanks for posting.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 1200 calories, based on wanting to lose 2 lbs a week. The calorie part didnt seem difficult (this is only my 2nd day!) but I could not meal plan within the limits of my protein. I felt bad inside when I ended up with a negative number so I set to 1 lb a week, which gives me 1700 calories. I meal plan within all of my limits but go stay within my protein limits. Plus, working out means I need a good amount of protein anyway.

Hope this tip helps!
  • C_Beesley
    Options
    hey my calorie intake is set @ approx 1400 BUT, i keep it under 1000.. let me tell ya how..lol

Breakfast - kellogg 90 calorie breakfast bar OR Bannana OR 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - 1 Healthy Request soup OR 1 cup of vegies and a small meat!! (pref. grilled chicken).

Dinner - I have gotten some of those Lean Cuisine frozen meals.. or STEAMABLES.. omg..they are so good!!!!

And if i absolutely am starving i'll either drink a Glass of milk OR get some of those 100 calorie snack packs!!! It hasn't been very hard at all.. i just try to keep it mixed up..
    For dinner i also get those frozen fish thingys.. w/ talipia or salmon (they're only like $3) and i'll get some of those steamable bags of vegies and pig out!!! a cup of vegies is a lot!!! and then i'll occasionally have like a dinner roll w/ it.

Lemon Pound Cake is also pretty low in calories supprisingly.. so if you have a sweet tooth grab a piece of that or even a cup of Cool Whip!!! or 1/2 a cup of vanilla ice creamm..yummm..

hope this helps
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    hey my calorie intake is set @ approx 1400 BUT, i keep it under 1000.. let me tell ya how..lol

Breakfast - kellogg 90 calorie breakfast bar OR Bannana OR 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - 1 Healthy Request soup OR 1 cup of vegies and a small meat!! (pref. grilled chicken).

Dinner - I have gotten some of those Lean Cuisine frozen meals.. or STEAMABLES.. omg..they are so good!!!!

And if i absolutely am starving i'll either drink a Glass of milk OR get some of those 100 calorie snack packs!!! It hasn't been very hard at all.. i just try to keep it mixed up..
    For dinner i also get those frozen fish thingys.. w/ talipia or salmon (they're only like $3) and i'll get some of those steamable bags of vegies and pig out!!! a cup of vegies is a lot!!! and then i'll occasionally have like a dinner roll w/ it.

Lemon Pound Cake is also pretty low in calories supprisingly.. so if you have a sweet tooth grab a piece of that or even a cup of Cool Whip!!! or 1/2 a cup of vanilla ice creamm..yummm..

hope this helps

You do realise that you're starving yourself.
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am finding this pretty easy to do. A cereal breakfast of Special K with skim milk, maybe a strawberry or two.
    Weight watchers soup for lunch or a snack and then a Weightwatchers ready meal with plenty of veg for dinner.
    Drinks would be mainly green tea and water.
    This usually brings me up to about 1,000 or just under 1,200 depending on what I have been eating.

I have gone over about once or twice since starting this site, but that is because I went out NYE and drank a tiddle...

However now, have no reason to drink so am back to normal eating.
    I also exercise most days and try not to eat too much of these calories so I am even "more under"
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I am taking in 1200 daily...you can look at my food diary (through my profile) if you'd like to get ideas of what and how I eat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Here are two I wrote a while ago. The top one explains why you probably shouldn't be at a 1000 calorie deficit (yes you!)

and the bottom one goes through how our metabolism works, and the question of eating exercise calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • laura816
    Options
    Wow! my calorie goal is 1400 and i could eat that for a snack. I don't know who you all are, but really? I have the appetitie of a lumberjack, which is why I'm in the shape I'm in, and I am finding it nearly impossible to stay at 1400 calories every day. In fact, I've probably done it once since I started. Still, I'm eating only healthy foods and trying to limit sugar (not as successfully as I'd like). I would feel verrrrrry hungry at 1200.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm also on 1200 calories a day and I have to agree with the previous poster - I have the appetite of a lumberjack and that's why I'm in this shape! It is a challenge to keep the calories low, and I have worked hard to stick with the plan. I do find my workouts have more intensity now because those exercise calories are important to me! I started on Monday, Dec 28 and so far I've lost 2 pounds, which seems to be right on schedule. But I am hungry. Hoping my body will adjust soon! I've tried very hard to keep all my calories healthy and nutritious, too, which is something I didn't always do before now. I will make this work out this time - gotta lose these extra pounds!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    The problem with a 1200 calorie diet is it isn't maintainable after you are finished "dieting" It is a diet and not a true lifestyle. I've been there done that. and it sucks.

I like to think of it this way. Eat like the person you want to be. If you want to be a 130 lb person that has little activity then enter the information for that person and see how many calories you would eat...that is how many you should eat for the rest of your life to maintain that weight.

You will lose at first but then slowly lose until you maintain, you won't have to worry about the yo yo or regain.

Eat like the thinner you.

Eating too little jacks your metabolism up and then makes it more and more difficult to lose weight and even maintain it.
  • mcwatsonus
    Options
    Hello I am on 1210 calories and find myself at Subway most times doing a 360 calorie sub w/o cheese and mayo. I am also overseas and the meats are frozen however, I also grap boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins and grill those things up for the week. I make salads with spinach leaves instead of lettuce at times. I also eat oatmeal (weight control) packets because I am tired of the original. Hope this helps o and lots fruit.
  • rachelsmiley32
    Options
    Myn also told me to do a calorie intake of 1200-1500. however i usually barely hit 1000. this is what i eat pretty much on a regular basis, and i have been losing a lb a day for a week now. (i started at 172, now 166) so its not just water weight, im actually losing weight that needs to be gone! :)

breakfast-
    two -three slices of jennie-o turkey bacon
    one large fried egg ( not butter)
    one glass orange juice, sometimes two. but be careful here, oj has a lot of calories
    sometimes a yoplait light yogurt

lunch-
    boiled chicken breast then browned in a pan with salsa ( salsa has very little calories)
    salad consisted of lettuce, cucumbers, croutons ( reese has some that are 25 calories for a serving) then Marzetti's LIGHT ceasar dressing. Marzettis is good even in light. there is only 70 calories for 3 tbsp, and with ceasar that is plenty

dinner-
    eathier chicken breast with brown rice or a sandwich with those skinny buns and meat, lettuce, tomato.
    or soup. campbells select harvest light has some good ones. Italian style vegetable is my favorite right now. its only 100 calories i believe.. not much more if it is.

snack-
    smart food pouch. its popcorn clusters, theres different flavors. they are 100 calorie pouches also.

there are many options to stay low on calories. basically u need to stay away from bread, cheese, fats, red meats. weight watchers meals are great to follow also. If u like fish, white fish is good. There are many options out there. pick up one of the weight watchers magazines and there are lots of recipes in each one. and they are pretty good!!
    good luck with your weight loss goal.. u can do it!!
  • sandootoads
    Options
    This is my first week. I am on 1200 and it really isn't that tough. Ive been doing lots of veggies-green beans, squash, carrots, cucumbers, salads with the spray dressing as I can get more food with less calories. I've also found putting in more protien (eggs and lean meats helps me feel fuller longer)-and not eating a ton of carbs also lets me get more food for my calories. I'm a grazer but having this application on my iphone is very helpful to keep me in check. I find a scrambled egg with tomatoes, mushroom and spinach does wonders for breakfast to hold me over or sometimes oatmeal. I usually do a lean cuisine at lunch (between 270-350 calories) as it helps me with portion control. For dinner I have some type of meat (lettuce burgers one night, pork tenderloin or chicken breast) and two servings of veggies and or a salad. This usually leaves me with 300-400 extra calories for my snacks. I'm loving the multi-grain cherrios (and I'm not a huge milk drinker so I only use 1/4 of a cup). Other favorites are fresh fruit (clemintines are my favorite), string cheese, or pudding and jello. And I'm a chocoholic so if I have the urge-1 girl scout thin mint is 40 calories (it is tought to just have one) or I do the sugar free chocolate pudding made with skim milk. I also made orange sugar free jello with cool whip this week-a really tasty low calorie creamy treat. I save calories by skipping the butter on my toast if I have it and cheese one salads/eggs/sandwiches.
  • TaysMum
    TaysMum Posts: 29
    Options
    Hey guys, newbie here. I forgot what my calorie intake was during the initial signup of the forum. How do you check it?

Can someone explain this whole concept of calorie intake and how excercising effects it in a dummies format plzzzz :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, newbie here. I forgot what my calorie intake was during the initial signup of the forum. How do you check it?

Can someone explain this whole concept of calorie intake and how excercising effects it in a dummies format plzzzz :)

see the links that I gave above.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!