Weekend disasters .... help needed

Options
Since not long after easter I seem to have developed the habit of overeating on weekends, random logging & gaining weight.
I then have to spend the next few days trying to lose it before I can get back to losing by Friday's weigh in.
Sometimes it's up to 1.5 kilos, sometimes only .2 or .3.
I read I'm not alone in this, it's not uncommon but it's so frustrating.
In a week it will be 1 year on MFP, & this is really slowing me down.
Any ideas & suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Replies

• marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I also do this occasionally. Its a horrible cycle. :grumble: When it happens to me its usually when I have been very strict with everything during the week. I just started again almost a week ago and I am trying to have occasionally treats throughout the week. Hopefully this will help me stay on track better.
    Hope you figure it out. Good Luck!
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do this too. Just did it last week, actually. Perhaps next weekend you can schedule some big or exciting activity - and that will be your fun/exciting thing rather than eating. Look over your diary too - can you identify the trouble spots? Do you feel like it's the weekend and you deserve a sweet treat? Then maybe plan for it and lay in a Weight Watchers low cal diet dessert or some other low cal thing so you're not tempted to go to the DQ. Perhaps you could also try amping your motivation - find an inspiring quote and put it on the fridge or maybe decide if you can make it to Monday morning without going over your goals, you will buy yourself a reward (that's actually how I quit smoking!)

You can do it!!!
  • katelouiseoz
    Options
    I do this every weekend and it's so annoying :( I need to find away to get out of this habit!
  • tship74
    tship74 Posts: 48
    Options
    The biggest thing for me when not at work is staying busy on the weekends. Now that my wife enjoys shooting, That gets us out for three hours on the weekend. And with the added benefit of the 100+ temps here in the desert and the hills, we sweat a little as well.

Just find something to keep you occupied and your mind off of the food!!! Also, Since Fitness pal tracks your consecutive days, set goals for an award for each milestone.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to plan a cheat day that doesn't fall on a weekend. I know for me, that's when family is all around, it would be easy to say "let's go out to eat" and over-indulge. Also decide what your cheat day will be like. For me, it might mean having a higher calorie dinner or maybe having a special dessert, but not both. Good luck to you.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Weekends are for enjoyment and I completely understand where you are coming from. I think in the year and half I have been on MFP I have been in the green for a whole weekend - probably three times! However, what I did through weight loss and now maintenance is to 'bank' some of my exercise cals during the week so on days where it's easy to eat within my calorie amount and not feel starving for not eating my exercise cals, I'd save them. Also at weekends I would have my biggest workouts of the week (because I have more time) thus also giving me some more cals to play with.

So long as I didn't exceed my weekly net cals - I didn't stop losing weight or, in maintenance, gain weight. BUT don't weigh in on a Monday - if you eat more before a weigh - you'll weigh more. But by the end of the week you will either weigh the same or you should see some results.

Best of luck xxx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    change the day you weigh yourself to a monday morning
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more work out more! Its really that simple! If you want to eat badly on the weekends you have to throw in some work out time! Go to the gym on a Saturday morning and you can use your extra work out cals to eat what you want Saturday night. Same for Sunday if you incorporate fitness into your weekends you can indulge if not your going to gain! :wink:
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, will take them on board.
    Exercise more & changing weigh day sound good.
    I'm just annoyed with myself at the moment, feel like I'm losing momentum.
    Thanks.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You may be eating a ton of salty foods over the weekend and gaining water weight, then it takes 2 or 3 days for you to lose that water weight. Eat less sodium, eat more potassium, drink more water. Should help.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I run into the sme thing every other weekend. As a single dad with 50% placement, I do fine on my weekends alone. When the kids are here is when I do worse, hard to say no when they want pizza, etc.
  • VTMudRunner
    VTMudRunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe try making Monday the weigh in day. That way you have to stay in better control. It might help. Good luck.:smile:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I was so glad to see this post. I do the same thing and whenever I speak to others about it, they seem to not understand. I thought I was the only one here who has this problem. While at work I have only the foods available that I should eat. At home is a different story. I would love to see some advice from others.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would say plan your "cheat days". If you know you like eating pizza on the weekends, try getting an individual one from the supermarket. Even doing a fun activity to offset your weekend eating would help too. A long hike or something like that.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Hi,
    its a vicious cycle, well for me anyway. I used to be so good in week and crap at weekends...I decided not anymore, so i now weigh in on a Sunday morning which makes me be good fri night and sat, then if ive lost sunday even more determined for the week ahead..
    I go food shoppin fri night/sat morning and buy more filing foods which i dont eat in week like brown couscous/rice and have things like stuffed peppers so its like a treat to me. I also buy weight watchers frozen desserts for one, so its portioned controlled and low cal. Plus my boyfriend will have one lol...
    Since doing this weight is shifting much quicker and i look forward to weekends now, used to dread them! I dont buy in any crappy foods so theres none in the house.
    Good luck. x
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good reading for me after this past weekend, my cousin's bridal shower and bachlorette party. I didn't gain anything but didn't loose anything either. Hopefully since the rest of the month I am pretty much home this will not be a problem again. Trying to be optomistic!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Since not long after easter I seem to have developed the habit of overeating on weekends, random logging & gaining weight.
    I then have to spend the next few days trying to lose it before I can get back to losing by Friday's weigh in.
    Sometimes it's up to 1.5 kilos, sometimes only .2 or .3.
    I read I'm not alone in this, it's not uncommon but it's so frustrating.
    In a week it will be 1 year on MFP, & this is really slowing me down.
    Any ideas & suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks

Yeah stay determined on the weekends also .... measure and weigh your food ...
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I usually go over some on the weekends too. Partially because of boredom. Also my husband is out of town working all week, so when he's home, he's eating all the stuff I'm trying to stay away from. It's hard, but I try to make sure I don't go over more than like 200 calories. And I pick good stuff instead of junk. If I can't hold out I grab a piece of fruit, yogurt, or popcorn instead of bad stuff. That way I'm going over, but at least it's with something that isn't so fattening.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, will take them on board.
    Exercise more & changing weigh day sound good.
    I'm just annoyed with myself at the moment, feel like I'm losing momentum.
    Thanks.

Don't be annoyed with yourself, (hug) you have done really well and made the decision to change your lifestyle. I'm very strict with myself Monday to Friday and allow myself a treat or two at the weekends. But not to excess.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm changing weigh day to Monday. Let's see if that helps.
    I'm also going to try find an exercise buddy & try to mix things up a bit.
    Can't give into old habits, need to go forward.
    Thanks