Too much fiber?

Options
I recently started tracking my fiber intake because I was having some issues with constipation and thought I might need to increase it. However, I have noticed that according to MFP, I almost always go over on the fiber setting. I feel that I eat a pretty balanced diet with lots of fruit and veggies, but am wondering if I should somehow try to consume less fiber. I am just hesitant to cut it back because of the constipation. Are there negative effects of too much fiber? Do you think I should cut back on the fiber?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    It can inhibit some nutrient absorption, but I wouldn't worry too much unless you go over by like 50% or more. And then it may not even be a problem.

If it's from a ginormous bowl of fiber one every morning and that's your main source, I'd tone it down a little.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just took a peek at you diary your fiber amount is fine. What you need to realize is that there are two kinds of fiber. you are getting mostly soluble fiber - that is the fiber that dissolves in water and helps to lower cholesterol. It does not do much to move things along. You find this type of fiber in fruits and veggies and is what is added to most "fiber" added products.
    Insoluble fiber is what you find in wheat bran products like all bran and fiber one (original)- it in not really digestible and helps to move things along.

You need to get a mix of both of these fiber types to stay regular. You should try adding a serving of all bran or fiber one to your meals. I buzz them into smoothies, or add them to salads in place of croutons since I hate them when they get soggy!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sugar constipates me. Foods like tasty cereals, sweet yogurts and "healthy" bars don't do me any favors. You might want to track your sugar intake. Sugars from fruits don't seem to bother me.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Just took a peek at you diary your fiber amount is fine. What you need to realize is that there are two kinds of fiber. you are getting mostly soluble fiber - that is the fiber that dissolves in water and helps to lower cholesterol. It does not do much to move things along. You find this type of fiber in fruits and veggies and is what is added to most "fiber" added products.
    Insoluble fiber is what you find in wheat bran products like all bran and fiber one (original)- it in not really digestible and helps to move things along.

You need to get a mix of both of these fiber types to stay regular. You should try adding a serving of all bran or fiber one to your meals. I buzz them into smoothies, or add them to salads in place of croutons since I hate them when they get soggy!

This makes sense, thanks! I'll try adding more insoluble fiber to my diet and see if that helps.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I agree with above....One thing that you have to realize as well is that MFP's calculations on certain macros are a little off....I have my fiber set at 30grams b/c that is closer to what you need in fiber....So don't worry about going over some...I changed mine in MFP to 30grams instead of the 16 or 21g MFP recommends so that is what I see in my macros now...It helps me to have the correct numbers on there.. :)
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, agree with above: MFP sets fiber goal way too low. A good minimum fiber goal is 25 gm per day, but 30 or even 35 gm per day is fine. MFP has your fiber goal set at 20, which is too low. You can adjust it manually to 25, and don't worry if you eat over. If you are still having problems with constipation, you might try adding fiber supplements. I like the Fiber Gummies from Walgreens, they are 2 gm of fiber each and taste pretty good.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI protien also helps to move things along. Make sure you get enough protien in your diet.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    OMG! I just had and issue with too much fiber, it cause me severe stomach cramping and the "d" word. TMI. But since I also track my fiber intake, I figure out that if I go over 35-40 grams there will be a big problem. Just pay attention to your body, it will tell you if its too much.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Keep it under 60. Try to stick to soluble fiber if you can.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I recently started tracking my fiber intake because I was having some issues with constipation and thought I might need to increase it. However, I have noticed that according to MFP, I almost always go over on the fiber setting. I feel that I eat a pretty balanced diet with lots of fruit and veggies, but am wondering if I should somehow try to consume less fiber. I am just hesitant to cut it back because of the constipation. Are there negative effects of too much fiber? Do you think I should cut back on the fiber?

MFP's goal is too low. You should be aiming for 25-30 grams of fiber a day. More than that can inhibit absorption of some vitamins and minerals, but if you're getting it naturally (from fruits and veggies), you'll be getting plenty of vitamins along with the fiber. Also, you should increase your water consumption with your increased fiber.
  • beckajw
    Options
    Just an FYI protien also helps to move things along. Make sure you get enough protien in your diet.

I'm not sure about this. Fat helps move things along. Protein--not so much.
  • Kelbelle30
    Kelbelle30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi
    This has been really interesting as I am concerned I may be getting too much fibre too. I'm a huge veg and fruit eater - I'm lactose intolerant so avoid most pre-made snacks.

As a result, I'm nearly 100% over fibre today, and low in salt and cholesterol but high in sugars!

I was sitting at work snacking on celery, apples and rice cakes, but after tracking for bit have been wondering what I can eat instead!

Advice would be welcome!

Kel
  • beckajw
    Options
    Hi
    This has been really interesting as I am concerned I may be getting too much fibre too. I'm a huge veg and fruit eater - I'm lactose intolerant so avoid most pre-made snacks.

As a result, I'm nearly 100% over fibre today, and low in salt and cholesterol but high in sugars!

I was sitting at work snacking on celery, apples and rice cakes, but after tracking for bit have been wondering what I can eat instead!

Advice would be welcome!

Kel

You could cut out the rice cakes and do cheese sticks or peanut butter instead--giving you more protein and fat. However, don't worry about going over on sugar and fiber when you're getting those things from fruits and veggies. Keeping salt and cholesterol low is a good thing.