Can anyone recommend a good reliable set of scales?

Options
Wondering if anyone can personally recommend a set of bathroom scales. I've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews, but every time I seem to be leaning towards a particular model, I find a really bad review and change my mind! I like the look of the FitBit Aria, ( I have the FitBit Ultra ) but it's expensive and seems to be suffering from a lot of gremlins. Would appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• roddog63
    Options
    I think I am going to get the Withings. Its expensive, but features Bodyfat calculations (however accurate it may be). I think it looks nice, and its WiFi as well. I think if you read any reviews there are always bad reviews and gremlins. I tend to look at how many people give it a 4 or 5 and balance that against the 1's and 2's. Just my two cents. Good luck on your scale choice!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I have this one - http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Premium-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B002MK6QKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344407884&sr=8-2&keywords=eat+right+scale

The one I linked above is the exact one I have, but the brand has several models and they all have good reviews.

It measures the exact same as the doctor's scale, and is the same number no matter how many times in a row I step on it.

You have to calibrate it the first time you use it and any time you move the scale, but that's easy.
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I picked up this scale at Walmart for about $15 (Canadian) and it seems very accurate. Only had it a few days, no complaints so far. Gives same reading as my Wii Fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinner-Conair-TH200-Digital-Precision/product-reviews/B000OCP5O0

PS - it's a basic digital scale - no fancy extras
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I use a weight watchers scale, it find it a little annoying some days though but its just my floor because its un even :laugh:
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers scales - excellent!
  • ogr8cdd
    ogr8cdd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I must give a vote to Withings, I have had it for about 6 months and not had any problems, (Except when battery died and I had to investigate how to reset it.) Accepts multiple profiles and checks them by just weighing yourself (You don't have to tell it which profile it is using). Also being wifi I can keep track of my records via my smart phone.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used Withings for many months and liked it. Then I got the Fitbit Aria when it came out. I think if you are a Fitbit user, the little hiccups in the Aria are worth it for an integrated dashboard. But both are great choices and worth the money. I weigh daily to see the trends more accurately and the data is nice to see online next to my thousands of steps.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the brand names, but digital scales are far better, but i would also take measurements using a measuring tape :) thats what keeps me motivated.

after losing only 7lbs, ive lost:

1.5ins from my waist
    1in from my hips

That made a great difference to how well my clothes fit :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I picked up a slim glass one with 2 metal prods that go through the middle at walmart.
    I also picked several of them out of their boxes and me and my friend weighed ourselves on all of them and they all spit out the same numbers. I'm to the point now that I can pretty much guess my weight throughout the day and get pretty close to what the scale is going to say.

The BIA in the weight scales can be inaccurate when it comes to bone/water/fat percentages. All of them are. It usually states what causes the inconsistencies in the manual. BIA measured impedance so no matter which one you get it well be inaccurate to a point. That being said the readings on mine are fairly consistent.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Yes, any weight watchers digital scales they are really good as long as you got a flat surface like laminate flooring to put them on LOL..x
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have this one and cannot even begin to express how much I love it. I think it's very accurate (closely matches my doctors scale anyway and that is what I was looking for) and works well even on my uneven floors! I did a lot of research into a new scale as well before choosing this one because I had tossed my old one and was anti-scale for a LONG time. But I knew I needed one to really do a good job in weight loss. I needed one fairly cheap but well recommended and accurate. This is the scale for me. I wouldn't get another one unless this one absolutely didn't work anymore.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Health-o-meter-Oil-Rubbed-Chrome-and-Silver-Scale/10264543
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like my Health-o-meter (not digital).
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know it is not bathroom scales but I use the Wii Fit Board to weigh myself, have been using it for years now and I love it! Happy hunting for scales! :smile:
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know it is not bathroom scales but I use the Wii Fit Board to weigh myself, have been using it for years now and I love it! Happy hunting for scales! :smile:

I love mine too! I found it really accurate, and encouraging. Love how it charts out your progress.
    I only got a scale to weigh myself when I don't feel like dragging it out.
  • masirahmo
    masirahmo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for all the help folks - certainly given me something to think about! Funnily enough, three of the scales mentioned are on my short list. I've got a set of WeightWatchers at the moment and they have been good - but getting on a bit now and I think they're past their best. Wondered about just replacing them, it seems a few of you are happy with them. Eat Smart have got some really good reviews, but I'm new to the make ( British Expat living in Abu Dhabi so no Walmart I'm afraid!! ) My main problem is that they will have to be ordered from Amazon - either UK or US - and sent here by Aramex, so returning them if they're faulty isn't really an option. :flowerforyou: