Exercise ideas please..

Options
I have planar fasciitis and a pulled Achilles tendon. I can't run, walk for extended times, take kickboxing, step, Zumba or any classes that have me jumping around. Spin classes and weight training are the only things that don't aggravate it.. Need suggestions for something new and exciting please:)

Replies

• Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Swimming/water aerobics? Low impact AND great resistance!
  • tazzzydevl
    tazzzydevl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Funny you mentioned it.. I tried to take one today.. I was at least 20 years younger than everyone else ( didn't mind that) but Apparantly I needed to have my own water weights -- didn't know that..I'm gonna to try again next week.. Thanks for the tip and great ob on your loss!! What an inspiration!
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ahh... see? Great minds think alike! :glasses:

Grab your weights and get busy, missy! I cared for my legally blind grandmother for nine years until she passed from cancer... she lived with me & we did nearly everything together. I can honestly tell you that spending time with seniors can really be a hoot! Enjoy your pool time with the silvers!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Try a body pump class.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was trying to think of exercise that would be low impact but I can't think of anything beyond swimming. I have workout videos but even they move around a lot.

Oh...maybe browse the workout video section and see if they have any chair exercises. Sometimes those are low impact but not always cardio.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to call a local gym or possible rehab center and ask if they can recommend any exercises that wouldn't aggravate you.

Good luck!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try bike riding.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Definitely pool time! How dies bicycling or the equivalent make you feel? I know achilles tendon injuries can be brutal...my cross country coach in HS tore his during track season, and was out quite some time. You could always try a stationary bike, if your body is up to it after the injury, because even if you can't use the one leg much, you can still use the handlebars and one pedal. It'll get your HR up. Good luck, and sorry I'm not more help. My best exercises are biking and horseback riding!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Jamie Easons live fit program on bodybuilding.com - No cardio for 4 weeks just weight training.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    what's planar fascitis (sorry, i'm a foreign person here !)
    I'm definitively a water person so everything related with water (scuba diving surfing and ofcourse the easier to practice (I mean, you dont need ocean): swimming).
    I've also heard about aqua zumba and that sounds like a lot of fun. never tried though, because the classes dont fit my work schedule so far.

Can you bike ?
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have planar fasciitis and a pulled Achilles tendon. I can't run, walk for extended times, take kickboxing, step, Zumba or any classes that have me jumping around. Spin classes and weight training are the only things that don't aggravate it.. Need suggestions for something new and exciting please:)

Oh my, I'd flip if ever there comes a day when I could'nt run:sad:
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    The group that I do mine with doesn't use water weights. In fact, there's not a whole lot of "need to have your own" in our bunch and the age range is anything from teen to 70ish. One lady is even closer to 80 and it's major cardio too.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Add to that by using exercise bands for upper body strength. Can be done seated. Stretching. Floor exercise. Abs etc. Not all that exciting but it all helps. I'm going to surmise you are doing the plantar facsiitis stretching exercises. (crap can't spell it right now.) I've had it too. It can be horrible. I learned the physio exercises. That helped enormously. Good Luck
  • dick01
    dick01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is the best for you . Yes we seniors love to have younger ones there as we never had the opportunity for that when we were your age. At least when you reach our age another twenty years you will not be suffereing from arthritis, if you continue to water exercises. LA fitness is the best for that.
  • tazzzydevl
    Options
    I was never a runner but I'm in withdrawal from kickboxing!!
  • tazzzydevl
    Options
    The group that I do mine with doesn't use water weights. In fact, there's not a whole lot of "need to have your own" in our bunch and the age range is anything from teen to 70ish. One lady is even closer to 80 and it's major cardio too.

I was a bit surprised about needing to have weights..oh well..
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the on-line body weight video sites like Bodyrock.tv

Perhaps not everything will work for you but there are tons of great ideas on-line. With a little research you could put together a couple of nice varied routines to keep going.