How to get back on track?

Options
Hey guys! I feel like I seriously have fallen off the lifestyle change wagon the past couple of weeks! Just this past week I have gained about 5 pounds (yes, I know it's mostly water weight...I'm trying to increase my water intake). I desperately need and want to get back on track and I'm wondering if there are any tips you may have or things you have done yourself to get there...besides JUST DO IT. Haha. I think my problem arises when I'm out somewhere and I get hungry or last minute plan changes. I'm just never prepared and usually just eat what's available. Yesterday during the day, I ate really well. Then, I had to work a country fair for 4 hours, got hungry, and bought cheese and nachos. That's kind of how my pattern works. Eat well for most of the day and then eat something at the end of the day that totally blows over my calories not to mention sodium. Please let me know if you have any tips and/or advice on how to get over this hump. Thanks!

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can buy some snacks to keep in your bag or purse to tide you over so that you don't go automatically to the bad food. I try to keep a special K meal bar in my purse for emergencies, so that I don't stop somewhere and buy a donut or chips.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do so good until about 3 pm ...then Bam!, the stressors of the day and my hunger take over. Then at the end of the day, I feel terrible.

I have kept protein bars in my purse....as fruit and veggies in a baggie get all squished.

Your not alone, if that helps.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Good idea! I'll try to keep that in mind! Because of the heat, I don't usually keep food in my purse. I'll see how it works out!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    My husband likes to eat out on the weekends when were out running errands and it helps to have a go to meal depending on the restaurant you're at. I know exactly what I would eat at McD's, subway, applebees, fridays, taco bell... etc etc. This might not have helped you at the fair but if you're on the go its something to consider
  • warpedlogic
    Options
    You could take some higher protein nuts with you, such as peanuts, and snack on those. Low cal, healthy, won't spoil in heat and will keep you full for a bit. I usually eat a quarter serving at a time and that fills me for about an hour.
  • summer_cici
    summer_cici Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do this quite often too. I'll be out with my friends and we'll want to go eat something and it's ALWAYS junk food haha. I'm just avoiding taking money out with me so I can't afford to buy it. That's not really very helpful lol but I guess it just takes will power! Good luck!!
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    I'm right there with you, girl. I do AWESOME for the first half of the day and then want to stuff my mouth with everything in the cupboard by the time I get home. I'm going to start taking steps to take a walk around the block before I go haywire crazy. Maybe that will calm me a bit.
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    It is comforting knowing I'm not the only one having this problem! I will try to carry non perishible, healthy snacks with me. Hopefully that will help!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You need to remind yourself why you started the journey in the first place. Put little sticky notes on your mirror, fridge, in your car, in the shower....whereever you need encouragement and/or discipline.

As for snacks, I always have a Nature Valley Bar in my purse for those "I'm hungry and can't wait" moments. They don't melt and keep me full until my next meal. At work I always have Smart Pop popcorn, yogurt in the fridge and a few protein or granola bars in my desk. Pack a lunch the night before and try to preplan meals for the week.

Set a timer on your phone to take short walks - get up move around. This suggestion came to me when I first started MFP. I work a desk job and sit 990% of the day. So now take short walks up/down the stairs or around the building 3x per day.

You can do it - you have to be strong and don't give up!! Good luck.
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    You need to remind yourself why you started the journey in the first place. Put little sticky notes on your mirror, fridge, in your car, in the shower....whereever you need encouragement and/or discipline.

As for snacks, I always have a Nature Valley Bar in my purse for those "I'm hungry and can't wait" moments. They don't melt and keep me full until my next meal. At work I always have Smart Pop popcorn, yogurt in the fridge and a few protein or granola bars in my desk. Pack a lunch the night before and try to preplan meals for the week.

Set a timer on your phone to take short walks - get up move around. This suggestion came to me when I first started MFP. I work a desk job and sit 990% of the day. So now take short walks up/down the stairs or around the building 3x per day.

You can do it - you have to be strong and don't give up!! Good luck.
    All great ideas! Thanks so much!!
  • jshort152
    Options
    Keep record on here or with friends and family so they keep you accountable! Also, I'm not sure if this will work for you but I look up youtube videos to stay motivated with what I want to look like, keep a picture of before you started your food logs with your weight at the time in your purse or on a mirror as well! Hope this helps!