One month to lose...! Speeding up atkins (sort of)

Options
I have a hen do and wedding season starts in four weeks. I am thinking of doing Atkins type diet for this time as I know I lose on it. Just wondered what people s thoughts were on speeding up the whole adding 5g of carb a week thing and adding it in a shorter time? I wonder how fast you could get to that critical carb level so you know what works best for you?

I just find it hard to do 20g carbs for two weeks and thought maybe I could start gradually increasing more quickly than that and if my weight goes up one day, I would cut back by 5g that day.

Otherwise, whats going to shift the most weight the quickest in that four weeks? SHould I do atkins plus 30ds or one of those dvds, or more intensive weights and cardio routine? I have a book called bodydoctor and its a 90 min routine of weights (20 reps of each so lighter weights - I know that will be controversial) followed by 20-45 mins steady state cardio. Thing is, although it definitely shapes you up quickly, I am curious about the longer term, whether I would need to change it up completely in say 6 weeks?

Enough rambling from me. Thanks.

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Dont know much about Atkins diet but I did the Dukan diet and lost 16lbs in 10 days to kick start my journey :bigsmile:
  • twostepsforward
    twostepsforward Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what the main difference between Atkins and Dukan is? And wondering what people have most success with.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what the main difference between Atkins and Dukan is?
    This. Someone please clear this up for me. It's probably really obvious, but I'm not greatly familiar with either and I just don't seem to get it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    you don't HAVE to start with induction!

I merely cut my carbs from ~250g per day down to under 100g net per day. The first week I lost almost 5 lbs, and I am losing at a steady rate of about 1.3lbs a week. That's a big change from before when it took 3 months to lose 7 pounds ( now I am averaging 7lbs a MONTH)
  • twostepsforward
    twostepsforward Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i am going to aim at induction at least for a few days and see how I get on. I do have a feeling that as long as you stay under 100g a day you would be doing ok, I just want a kick start while my motivation is high. Just been through my trusty family cookbook and started working out how to adapt recipes that will fit in with the balanced meals that the family will be eating. It seems easier than I thought so fingers crossed!

Halfway through day 1, had about 9g carb so far and frankly not feeling hungry really. I would usually be picking through stuff now. Roast chicken in the oven cooking so I'll be having plenty of that with non starchy veg later - yum!
  • boofiee
    boofiee Posts: 4
    Options
    On atkins you do not cut out carbs all together, on dukan it's incredibly tough going. In the first phase you eat ONLY PROTEIN and lots of it, no veg no fat very tough. Then in second phase you alternate between pure protein one day and protein and veg the next and so on until goal. very hard to stick to when out and about on pure protein days. and i think you get pretty much the same weight loss from both, i have done dukan and i lost about a stone but gained about 4 pounds back, (not bad really) atkins is much easier going for basically the same results
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what the main difference between Atkins and Dukan is?
    This. Someone please clear this up for me. It's probably really obvious, but I'm not greatly familiar with either and I just don't seem to get it.

I tried Dukan and I'm now just low carb. Dukan is prett much low fat in addition to low carbs. Some of the recommended products are actually pretty high in carbs. Imagine my shock when I read the label on nonfat yogurt! I found Atkins to be more sustainable. Even then, I'm not a big "plan" type person, so I just try to hit a ketosis level on carbs. For me, after the first few days, I just have to stay below 50. You don't have to start at induction level according to Atkins' website.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Just eat right and exercise, you'll be fine.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Just eat right and exercise, you'll be fine.

With all due respect, that doesn't work for everybody. I tried that for 3 months--following MFP suggested macros and exercising 90 minutes 3-4x a week, and I lost 7 lbs. I went lowER carb, cut my exercise down to 60 minutes 3-4x a week and lost almost 18lbs in 3 months. OP has already said that she KNOWS low carb will work for her, she just doesn't care to stay at 20g a day for so long.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what the main difference between Atkins and Dukan is? And wondering what people have most success with.
    Fat. The "attack" phase of Dukan is protein and not a lot else.

Atkins is low carb, sensible protein and ad-lib fat (within reason).

While there is a single idea / theme to Atkins - low carb - Dukan is more of a "do what I say" diet and is somewhat complex.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just wondered what people s thoughts were on speeding up the whole adding 5g of carb a week thing and adding it in a shorter time
    The current plan is flexible and if you don't have much to lose you can start at phase II.

Having said that there are addiction busting benefits to the Induction phase and if you can't stick to that for 2 weeks I would be nervous about your ability to stay below (say) 35g.
  • darbarnes
    Options
    When I go low carb, I am never hungry, but after a week or so I get very depressed. No problems with depression usually when I am eating carbs. Anyone else have that problem or know what to do about it? I am diabetic and low carb makes more sense to me as far as my blood sugar goes. And I don't lose very well on a regular diet.