Sodium intake question

brianparow
brianparow Posts: 17
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
My food counter is telling me that I have 2500mg of Sodium allowed per day. I am finding this hard to stick with but I am trying.
But why does it not change when I put in exercising? Don't I expel sodium in my sweat when I work out?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    sodium shouldn't be a giant issue unless you have a specific medical condition that requires maintenance. 2500 is the average for all adult americans. But they don't separate women from men in this average, and it's perfectly safe for a person without sodium problems (I.E. high blood pressure, or other types of medical conditions) to be at 3000 mg a day.

the only thing you should be aware of with that is that the more sodium you use, the more water you will retain, which will affect your day to day weight fluctuations.

And yes, if you exercise a lot, your sodium levels should go up. I don't think this site tracks sodium changes though, just the macro nutrients (carbs, fat, protein).

Yeah, I just checked, it doesn't change the other micro's either (sugar, fiber...etc).
  • Thanx Boss,

I started exactly one month ago and I have been averaging around 14 cups of water a day. Does this lower my sodium levels and water retention?
    Does the retaining water and higher sodium intake slow down my "FAT" loss progress?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Thanx Boss,

I started exactly one month ago and I have been averaging around 14 cups of water a day. Does this lower my sodium levels and water retention?
    Does the retaining water and higher sodium intake slow down my "FAT" loss progress?

respectively

not necessarily, it depends on a whole host of factors.
    and
    nope it doesn't, it may temporarily mask progress, but it shouldn't really hinder it.
This discussion has been closed.