is it???

Options
2»

Replies

• HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/134661-the-ideal-body-weight-body-frame-size/

This link helps you determine your ideal weight. considering most of the bodies weight is water I wouldnt say a large frame stops you losing weight, it just means your ideal weight is higher but still in the normal BMI zone :-) for me its 148.5lbs using this when BMI says 120-160 is fine ... and I know from the past that 140 means my ribs stick (as a teen my ribs were sticking out!) out so it sounds about right!
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :heart: thanks for the information everybody! you have been a great help!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    There are people who are broadly framed than others... but "big bones"? No. I'm going to have to go with Bill Nye on that one. I have a tiny frame, I can overlap my point finger and thumb around my wrist, I wear a ring size 4, I'm little. But my bones aren't bigger or smaller than anyone elses, my frame is.

We all grow to adult sizes, and there is a reason that forensic science can know the age the bones of cadavars by their size. They are generally the same.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I was thin, the dr would weigh me, look me up and down and say I never looked that 'big'. Made me feel good, though I didn't understand! Just a week ago I found a calculator thanks to this site, that took frame size into account. I am 5'1" and found I am 'big boned'. Hmmmm..... that explains the drs reactions!
    At my height, it can mean about 10 lbs more on the scale and still being in your normal healthy range. So I would say, when you get to the last 10 lbs, see how you look and feel. The scale should be a guide, not the determining factor in your size.

Of course those who lift weights and are blessed with a lot of muscle, will be a size or two smaller in clothes than a non-muscular person of the same weight. Their bodies are denser mass.
  • astraldream
    astraldream Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Scientifically i am unsure what they would consider true or not. However as someone who works in the Funeral industry i am constantly surprised when i get the Cremated Remains back. Similar sized peoples bones do weigh quite a big difference in weight. This is not scientific but my own observation
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight my finger and thumb meet round my wrist when I'm fat they don't
    so not really a good indication of frame size
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Scientifically i am unsure what they would consider true or not. However as someone who works in the Funeral industry i am constantly surprised when i get the Cremated Remains back. Similar sized peoples bones do weigh quite a big difference in weight. This is not scientific but my own observation

That's true. The first time I picked up a box of cremains I was really surprised at how heavy they actually were. I didn't expect that. I would imagine that has to do a lot with body muscle vs. low muscle tone.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that estimates your bone mass. I am considered "large framed" and my bones weigh a whopping 9 lbs - total. My guess is that someone of similar size that is "small framed" would have a bone mass of 7-8 lbs. The bones themselves are not the difference.

By being large framed, I am broader (shoulders, wrists, etc.) than most people and carry weight a lot better, but that is just because the weight is spread out a little more.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    After obsessing over numbers for too long, I'm just going by how I look and feel. I'm 5'3'', 145 pounds and wear a size 6. My measurements are 36D-27.5-37. I'm considered overweight according to BMI. After calculating my frame size using wrist measurements, I am on the high end of the small frame chart. People think I weight less than 145...but, I think it may be because people lie about their weights (celebrities, people in real life, etc) so nobody really knows what 145 looks like.

I still feel heavy and want to lose another 10 pounds, but that's all. According to my height and frame I should be around 120, but that's way too tiny for me.