has anyone every done the Tough Mudder competition?

Options
so I have only lost 20 pounds so far have 80 more to go to reach my goal..i can't even run one whole mile yet but im doing interval training trying to be able to run more and better..but I have a friend who is really FIT and he wants me to do it with him june of 2013. For those of you who don't know what it is its a 13 mile obstacle course with 25+ military style obstacles I really want to do it but I am so afraid when it comes down to it I wont be fit enough in time and that I will hold my friend back..anyways any ideas or thoughts?

Replies

• mrshewitson
    Options
    Try a programme like Couch to 5K and then work up to 10k and so on. It'll get you up to the level you need gradually. Tough mudder looks crazy tho, running through electric shocks, artic pools, nettles, etc. I know someone who did it last week and they had to sign a death waiver before they could do it. They survived tho and thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • wondergurl25
    Options
    Yeah i know I told my friend he is absolutelly crazy that there is no way I'd be in shape enough to do it but he is all like you have 50 weeks to train.. I know 3 people who have done it too they say its completelly insane but they made it through and were so proud of them selves. my goal for next year was to do a 5k not a 10-12 mile military based compittion lol
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 118 lbs, have already completed a shorter obstacle race, can run 5km no problem, and I am terrified of the Tough Mudder. Don't get me wrong, I want to do it next year, but the ice bath and electrified field look pretty... intense.

I'd suggest you not commit to anything (don't pay the fee quite yet) and try out a 5k obstacle race this fall to get a taste. Can you do it in a year? No question, if you want it you can get into the shape you need to be on. From what I've heard finishing that race is a question of mental fortitude.
  • wondergurl25
    Options
    thank you I think I will take your advice for sure, and yes so i've heard the same mental toughness is a lot of what it takes to get through it and the past 6 months i've been taking care of my mother who has cancer stronger woman i know gone through so much, and ive been working and going to college full time so I am not worried about being mentally strong because I am but your so right about being able to do it physically I am going to work my butt off and try the 5 k in the fall and go from there thanks (:
  • shanndigity
    shanndigity Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I actually wanna do one they have one coming up soon in Orange County
  • LaurianRocks
    LaurianRocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest the warrior dash first. :) I'm doing the tough mudder June of 2013 in Chicago!!
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time. I would do a warrior dash in between, but you will be amazed at what you can do in 50 weeks once you make the commitment. I think it is a great goal actually.