Just cardio?

Options
I was curious how everyone feels about just doing cardio.. Ive had a few people tell me I HAVE to weight train if I want to lose weight..
I just hate doing weights! lol
Is it possible to look great with just cardio? Obviously i know I wont be ripped or anything, but using the treadmill and elliptical still works your core, thighs, and butt right?

Thoughts?

Replies

• CelestinoZ
    Options
    If you just to cardio, you will lose quite a bit of muscle. It is best to just do light weight training to at least maintain the muscle you already have. If you just to cardio you'll end up with a "skinny fat" look
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    putting on muscle actually burns more fat, and helps you steer clear of the "skinny-fat" look, meaning it makes your body tighter. just cardio does* work your body's muscles, but it doesn't really build them.

as for "looking great".. you look great now, but in order to get your body in tip-top condition, you really should incorporate weight training. you don't neccesarily need to lift dumbells.. start off with your own body weight. use resistence bands, do push-ups, squats, pull-ups, etc.

i use a heart rate monitor, and at times have been able to raise my heart rate from lifting higher than it is when jogging. high heart rates determines calories burned.. so right there proves that lifting is a good thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    You can "look" okay. But when you feel that "squish", you'll know that lifting weights is what's needed to resolve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. It depends on your goals. If you want to look healthy and toned, adding some body weight exercises like push-ups will help out. The reason people say to do weight training as well is because you can burn lean mass along with your fat when doing cardio, and strength training also increases your metabolism.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to look great with just cardio? Obviously i know I wont be ripped or anything, but using the treadmill and elliptical still works your core, thighs, and butt right?

Yes it is possible as long as:

a) you keep your overall calorie deficit reasonable and not too severe
    b) you consume an adequate amount of protein
    c) you incorporate some high intensity work like sprints as well

However, if your primary goal is to improve body composition (look good naked) it is far more efficient to focus on good diet + resistance training with cardio added in or taken away as needed.

Good luck.
  • javiersito21
    javiersito21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the types of work-outs you do will define how your body will turn out.

If you want killer biceps and only go running, you might be disappointed in the results.

Instead of doing weights, use your own body resistance instead as a supplement to your workouts.

I'm sure there are lots of creative ways to replace the weights if your goal is to lose weight and have more muscle definition.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I was curious how everyone feels about just doing cardio.. Ive had a few people tell me I HAVE to weight train if I want to lose weight..
    I just hate doing weights! lol

Thoughts?

I'm not big on weights either, I get bored so I do a body pump class a couple times at the gym. Keeps it interesting and I bust *kitten* for 60 minutes every time I do the class. It's helping me gain muscle without the boredom
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You can "look" okay. But when you feel that "squish", you'll know that lifting weights is what's needed to resolve it.
    Niner~ Is it best to lose the weight you want first, then start weights? I just feel like I'm burning more when doing cardio, so I don't devote much time to weights. I want to eventually, but right now I'm just trying to burn calories and drop some weight. Thoughts?
  • 69saab
    69saab Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have "just" done cardio since February.. only walking and light jogging along with trying to keep within my calorie limits. I have lost 69 Lbs.
    I would like to add weight training.. but haven't yet.
    So to answer your original question.. yes, you can lose with just cardio.
    Good luck
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    "Fat skinny"? lol I understand.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I definitely dont want to lose the muscle i have.. and by the comments on here, it sounds like if i just do cardio ill lose my muscle!
    Thats not good at all!
    Could anyone recommend the cardio - weight ratio i should use?
    Ex. Cardio everyday (30 min) and an hour weights every other day?
    Or Cardio 3 times a week (an hour) and weights 1 time a week?

Thanks!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just a thought. When our ancestors were running around hunting for food, I'm sure they didn't think "mm, I must go do a few curls with that tree log, don't want to get skinny fat"
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    "Fat skinny"? lol I understand.
    Seriously. I was skinny fat for all of my 20's and most of my 30's. I was a size 4, but man was I "mushy".
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just a thought. When our ancestors were running around hunting for food, I'm sure they didn't think "mm, I must go do a few curls with that tree log, don't want to get skinny fat"

True. But they also develeoped serious strength and muscle hauling that dead Wooly Mammoth back to their cave.
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

True. But they also develeoped serious strength and muscle hauling that dead Wooly Mammoth back to their cave.
    Touche.
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of trying this 30 day shred thing.. has anyone done it?
    Im worried I dont have the right tools.. (weights, bands, etc) and enough room in my tiny apt.
    Is it mainly calisthenics?
  • CelestinoZ
    Options

True, but back then they didn't know that if you have a lot of belly fat that you are at increased risk for type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and the many other things that may come along with having a lot of belly fat.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of trying this 30 day shred thing.. has anyone done it?
    Im worried I dont have the right tools.. (weights, bands, etc) and enough room in my tiny apt.
    Is it mainly calisthenics?

It takes very little room, you can just push your couch back or whatever, and all you need is one set of dumbells and a mat or thick towel if you have a hard floor.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

True, but back then they didn't know that if you have a lot of belly fat that you are at increased risk for type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and the many other things that may come along with having a lot of belly fat.

I bet none of that really mattered.. I would think the leading cause of death would have been "wooly mammoth" related.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I lost the most weight doing just cardio. I throw in weight training every once in a while.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I had always just done cardio, about 30-45 minutes, mostly because I just didn't know what I was doing when it came to weights and felt intimidated by all the guys in the gym over by them. I found this beginners women weight training routine though and started it this week, I really enjoy it. It includes dumb bells (I was using 10 lbs), a stability ball and a mat (so that the ball doesn't slide around). My arms are kinda sore today but I feel like I was really working muscles that I would never get to going 30 mins on the elliptical.