Ladies with relaxers in their hair..?

Options
Do you all just wrap your hair during exercise? Or use a sweatband? I haven't been doing either butI just put a relaxer in my hair and I don't want to sweat it out already! I've heard about the sweatband promoted by Nicole Ari Parker...can anyone attest to that working?

Replies

• ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Whats a relaxer?
  • bxsweety
    bxsweety Posts: 12
    Options
    I've never used a sweat band. I used to just wrap my hair and put a scarf on or put my hair in a high bun.
  • ckay220
    Options
    Whats a relaxer?
    Chemical straightening product usually used with African American women.
  • shunlb
    shunlb Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, I have had relaxed hair for most of my life and what I do is use a sweat band and it really works. Since I have a short hair cut with a big bang......I pin my bang up and put the band underneath the bang area and tie it to the back, that way your curls are still in the bang once the workout is complete because the band catches all the sweat. Im not sure who the band is by but I got it from Walmart, it really helps me keep my hair style and feel confident about not having to worry about my hair. It only cost about $3. Let me know how it turns out :smile:
  • 92_sweetheart
    92_sweetheart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just wrap it or throw it in a ponytail.
  • jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wear mine in a bun with a sweat band
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So glad for this post. I get my hair done and then cringe the whole time working out knowing that im sweating my hair back..

My hair is cut really short but i have enough that I don't want to sweat it back. I will look into the head band from walmart. Is it in the workout section or the hair section.
  • ckay220
    Options
    I'll definitely look into that Walmart one! I just know I probably need one because I just gave myself a relaxer last night, but I want to continue my 30 Day Shred routine! Thanks!
  • itsCanCan
    itsCanCan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I actually just ordered the "save your do" hair wrap so i'll let you know how it works! I've heard mixed reviews. I usually put my hair in a ponytail or put it in a clip. If I have curls I just pin them up.
  • jrogers2013
    jrogers2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have super curly hair, so I frequently use the relaxers- I have to use the ones for African Americans, though, because the ones for white girls don't even TOUCH my curls! The lye in the others really help me.

I pull mine into a ponytail and make sure to use some sort of sweatband, and if I don't have one, I just use a folded washcloth with a head band holding it!
  • ckay220
    Options
    Hi! I actually just ordered the "save your do" hair wrap so i'll let you know how it works! I've heard mixed reviews. I usually put my hair in a ponytail or put it in a clip. If I have curls I just pin them up.
    Yes! Let me know! I've heard mixed reviews too so I didn't know if I wanted to buy it yet.
  • ckay220
    Options
    I have super curly hair, so I frequently use the relaxers- I have to use the ones for African Americans, though, because the ones for white girls don't even TOUCH my curls! The lye in the others really help me.

I pull mine into a ponytail and make sure to use some sort of sweatband, and if I don't have one, I just use a folded washcloth with a head band holding it!
    Yeah, I know I have to start using one.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    I just pack my hair into a high bun and use a regular hair band i got at walgreens as a sweatband. So far that has worked for me and my relaxer is keeping. My friend suggested i wrap my hair and workout. didnt like the fact that my hair got soaked and took a long time to dry.
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    I have curly/wavy/unmanageable hair...I just started using a headband (bough at Walmart) and it really helps. My hair has a mind of its own, so this is a great investment. The headbands come in different colors, and I think 4 or 5 come in a package.
  • Hearthangover
    Options
    See I dont know what to do. I had my hair relaxed about 2 weeks ago and i play roller derby so I have to wear a helmet and my god i get so sweaty that my hair will be so wet and poofy. i dunno what to do as i cant not wear a helmet. i need my brain. i wonder if wearing a head tie will help :/
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Does this do any damage to your hair? Mine is insanely curly and I really thought about doing this myself?
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A high pony tail is the way for me!
  • tts1
    tts1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wrap or put it in a ponytail and tie it down. Let it dry before you unwraap it.
  • Gentlejazz2012
    Options
    I just pull mine up in a ponytail and wrap with a scarf. I've tried the headband before and it pretty much works the same as the scarf that I use.