Low calorie cook books??

Options
lemonllama
lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
Does anyone have any low calorie/healthy meal type cook books they'd reccomend??

I really want something that me and the family can enjoy without it taking all my calories for the day. Like 200-500 calories for the meal would be great.

ESPECIALLY if its a crockpot book, Im having trouble finding HEALTHY things to make in the crockpot besides turkey/veg soup!!

And I really want the nutrition information in there!!!

Any ideas??!!!

THX!!!!

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Biggest Loser cookbook ( Family Addition) from Overstock.com. I'll let you know if it's anygood.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest loser family and its great, I haven't made too many things but I looked through it and I think that would be perfect for you, its VERY low calorie stuff!

~Leash :heart:
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Im a cook book junkie. For really good low fat books (filled with pictures, tips, and nutritional info), try:

~ Cooking Light "The Essential Dinner Tonight Cookbook"
    ~ Eating Well "Comfort Foods Made Healthy"

These are my go-to favorites.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have the Cooking Light 15 minute 5 ingredient cookbook. It is awesome. Everything is quick to make and doesn't take a ton of ingredients so they are pretty cheap to make too. You have to be selective though to make sure stuff has flavor. Because of the minimal ingredients, some can be bland.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I love the Taste of Home Guilt Free Cookbook. I got it for about $15. It's great!
  • doit4me
    doit4me Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We recently picked up the Clean Eating magazine. I'm impressed with it. They also have a cookbook that I intend to buy.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It's not a cookbook, but I get Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine (6 per year) and most of our meals are from it. They have all sorts of recipies; crockpot, 30 min., snacks, kids stuff. I really like that they take good comfort food and slim it down. Most of the time we can't tell it's a low-cal version.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Try Fix and Forget it lightly and I also like Eat Shrink and be Merry.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    HEllo, I got a cook book from borders bookstore that is healthy cooking for slowcookers i am excited to use it lots of recipes!!! gives nutrition information It doesn't give serving size it just says how many people it serves.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    You can purchase a cookbook if you want to, but I usually just get online and look one up.
    http://www.kraft.com
    http://www.cookinglight.com
    http://www.allrecipes.com

These are just a few places to look.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Family Cookbook is GREAT. Love anything by the American Heart Association (especially their Low Calorie one). Just bought Cooking Light's small one...cant remember the name off hand but its something like "90 recipes under 300 calories".
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    It's not a cookbook, but I get Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine (6 per year) and most of our meals are from it. They have all sorts of recipies; crockpot, 30 min., snacks, kids stuff. I really like that they take good comfort food and slim it down. Most of the time we can't tell it's a low-cal version.

I also love the Healthy Cooking Magazine and Eating Well magazine.
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like the Hungy Girl cookbooks and The Most Decadent Diet Ever. I use both of them all the time. They take normal high fat foods and tweak them a little bit. Iove the Bacon and Cheese Pepper Skins in the HUngry Girl 200 under 200 cookbook. They take potato skins and use bell peppers, instead of poatoes, and top it with lowfat cheese and turkey bacon. YUM!!
  • birdee
    birdee Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been using recipes out of the Taste of Homes Cooking Light for over a year and they have served me well. I'm now trying Living Well magazine and the Taste of Homes Cooking Light magazine for inspiratiion.
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE cookbook is Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Freezer Friendly Meals. I usually get one meal to eat & one to freeze out of most of the recipes which then makes another night that much easier. HIGHLY recommend it! I do also like my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine subscription and the variety of recipes/cooking styles/etc that they offer.

Best of luck!
    +++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    I have the Cooking Light 15 minute 5 ingredient cookbook. It is awesome. Everything is quick to make and doesn't take a ton of ingredients so they are pretty cheap to make too. You have to be selective though to make sure stuff has flavor. Because of the minimal ingredients, some can be bland.

We bought this cookbook and we LOVE it. There are very few ingredients and things are really easy and fast to make. That is a huge bonus when we get home from work and are hungry. The only thing we have found to be not so good are the faux "fried" fish. We have decided to try baking those same items in the oven before we give up. The veggies have all been wonderful. We like flavor and spice so we have taken the liberty of adding a few more jalapenos or maybe a little more basil...otherwise...yummy.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    I really like Tassajara cookbook by Edward Espe Brown. This is from the Tassajara Zen Center so the recipes are very light and fresh. This is my favorite cookbook that I like to use for work (I'm a chef). It makes you stop and think about all the different ingredients there are out there and what you can do with them.

" 'Ordinary food for ordinary people' is the way Brown once described his approach, but there's nothing ordinary about these culinary offerings. From appetizers to desserts, the over two hundred recipes use the freshest ingredients in ways that will tantalize the palates of everyone from down-home vegetarians to the most discriminating gourmet cooks. The recipes are interspersed throughout with line drawings, photographs of the center and its environs, and Brown's own poetry."
  • sereney
    sereney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can purchase a cookbook if you want to, but I usually just get online and look one up.
    http://www.kraft.com
    http://www.cookinglight.com
    http://www.allrecipes.com

These are just a few places to look.

Another great site is http://www.food.com- they have nutrition information for most meals and if you type in light before a meal, the site will come up with tons of great recipe ideas.