What was I thinking?! Trail Runners- I need advice!

Options
Until a few days ago, I had never run on any surface other than a smooth bike trail or track. I have only in the past week or so gotten my running mileage up to 10K. But, for some crazy reason, I registered for a 10K trail run on August 18th.

A friend and I checked out the course a couple times so far. I felt pretty comfortable with it yesterday, but I'm not so sure how race day is going to go. My pace was super slow, mostly because I kept looking down to make sure there were no twigs, holes, etc. (I will say that I successfully picked up my pace-- and my heart rate--- when I heard coyotes howling nearby!) Also, the course is very narrow. I'm not sure how people will be able to pass each other!

Any advice for race day? Also, is there any etiquette for trail runs that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Replies

• ilovemyboysx3
    Options
    Bump
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    ok i have to ask, what on earth is a trail run?
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Interested in the replies. I've not run a trail RACE but I train on trails and LOVE running them!! Good luck at your race. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need a bit more time/experience on the trail so that you trust your footing a bit more.

Depending on the course, the biggest difference in trail running vs road running is that a technical trail can be relentless, never allowing you to just zone out in your rhythm. It can be much more intense and much more taxing cardiovascularly. The more trail running you do, the more accustomed to it you'll become.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm bumping to read the answers because I just ran on a trail for the first time last weekend and it was so weird. I was slow too because I was concentrating on not falling on my face when running down the steep hills. I think trail running shoes would make a huge difference. Good luck to you!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I ran my first trail race a few weeks back. It was also my first run on a trail as well. The biggest thing that I had to concentrate on was my footing. It was very different than running on road/track and the last thing I wanted to do was roll an ankle.

Other than that I have to say it was really fun and a great change of pace to road racing. I'm definitely looking forward to more trail races in the future.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    ok i have to ask, what on earth is a trail run?

It's running where a "normal" person would consider hiking. :wink:

And I love it.

I've only run one trail race, and it's great that you've already check out the course. I got a little lost during mine. :blushing: Just do your best and have fun.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Love trail running. What you experienced is normal. It'll be a slower and more uncertain run until you get used to it. Someone else mentioned it as being a different mind set/intensity. I've found that to be true too. :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for trail races cause I would love to do one. LIke a few people have already said, I'd suggest running it as many more times as possible to get used to footing and anything you might come across. Is there any way you and your friend could run side by side so you're not too surprised when people run next to you or pass you on race day?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You do need to become accustomed to it, because it is a different beast on so many levels from street running. I find that I have to keep looking down, and maintain my gaze about 2-3 seconds ahead of me, at the ground so I know where my footing is going to be. I LOVE trail running, more walking up a hill trail, or mountain and running down.. FUN!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a trail running veteran. Done a few 100 mile trail runs, and will be doing a 48 hour trail run this weekend. I find when I'm on trails that I mostly keep my focus on the ground about 6 feet in front of me (guiding each footfall to avoid tripping or rolling an ankle) and glancing forward ever second or so in order to to see the turns/overhead obstacles/mudholes etc. It's definitely slower than road running, but is much more mentally challenging, you've got to stay pretty sharp in order to avoid falling or hurting yourself.
  • channyne
    channyne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need a bit more time/experience on the trail so that you trust your footing a bit more.

Depending on the course, the biggest difference in trail running vs road running is that a technical trail can be relentless, never allowing you to just zone out in your rhythm. It can be much more intense and much more taxing cardiovascularly. The more trail running you do, the more accustomed to it you'll become.

I agree on all fronts. In my first triathlon the trail run pushed me beyond my expectations. The thing with groups on trails is you are almost committed to the pace of the runners before and after you. I would suggest you start further back in the pack for your first few long distance trail runs. I'm sure there will be breaking points along the path but you never know where or how deep into the race. Trails also use muscles you don't normally use on the road/treadmill and the day after pain is the biggest reward! :)

Most of all - Have a GREAT time!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and giving much needed tips! I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I feel a lot more prepared after reading your responses. I have 9 days to get ready! YIKES! I'm confident about the distance, so I'll hit the trail a couple more times before race day to try to get a handle on the rest of it.

Thanks again,
    HH
  • rbottom12
    Options
    Only 6 days till our trail run :smile:
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advice! Other than needing new, clean shoes and feeling a little more sore than usual today, it went very well! I set a personal goal for myself to finish in 1:06 (about a minute more per mile than my regular pace), but ending up finishing in 57:47. I'm not sure how I managed to pull that off, but your advice certainly helped!

And a big congrats to my friend, rbottom12, who trained with me. She just started running in June and received the Top Master's award for her time of 57:28!

I will definitely do a trail run again! It was a fun change of pace and we couldn't have asked for better weather.

Thanks again!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Congratulations ! (You are now no longer a "trail virgin") :smile:
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's pretty awesome!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've only run one trail race, but I would say don't worry about being slow. Take it slow and watch your footing, and like with all races HAVE FUN! It's not worth doing if it's not fun. You can't expect to be as fast as you are on asphalt, the terrain slows you down ,that's what makes it challenging.

On the single track trail, there may be a few places to pass and experience trail runners will alert you "yell out "ON YOUR LEFT" or something like that, but if you start near the middle/back the really fast guys will already be infront of you.

Good luck! I'd like to do more trail runs in the future, but right now I've got two asphalt half marathons I'm gearing up for.