Chased by a goat durring my run...

Options
kodom_123
kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
OMG! I have heard of runners/walkers being chased by dogs and even bitten while on their workout...but seriously?? lol

I have been doing c25k 3 days a week here by my house and yup we live in the country...our neighbors have chickens, goats, sheep, donkeys, emus, peacocks, ducks and who knows what all else over there....
On my run back this morning (my last 5 min interval) a Billy Goat and a baby goat came out of the gate and crossed the road. Our little dog ran ahead of me and when the goat tried to get back to the gate the dog got between it and the gate. So I stopped running and tried to walk with confidence and make myself look "big" lol I'm not even sure that's how to handle a goat but it's all I could think of hahaha....

So the goat got irritated at the dog and me and started charging the dog and then when she ran towards me the dang goat started charging at me!! I was walking backwards and making all kinds a big arm motions and making loud gutteral noises to scare the goat...it would work for a few seconds and then he would came at me again. So I called my dad, who is my next door neighbor. The goats continued to follow me and make small charges for the next 1/4 mile and then my dad came on the motor scooter and herded the goats back home.

It was scary cuz I really was afraid to turn my back on it...he was being very aggressive! I can laugh about it now but I thought I was gonna be butted in the rear or bitten...and my heart was gonna pump outta my chest this morning!! I run slow right now and my HR durring my intervals gets up to 160 or so...but this morning the highest on the file was 175...that's when the goat was chasing me haha :P

Replies

• rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Billy goats tend to be a little more aggressive than other goats. They head butt other billy goats to establish dominance. So when you were walking/backing away from it.. it was still charging to show it was stronger than you. In theroy, you going toward it making a loud nosie should get it to back down. However, once you get them backing away you need to continue it for a few minutes or so to show you are the dominant one. Though, in your shoes I would have more than likely reacted the same way! Truth be told, getting head butted in the butt could have really happened. They don't tend to bite, but will eat anything. Maybe take some dog treats and toss to them if it happens again.
  • kodom_123
    Options
    Yeah I guess I can see that...when I would make advances as soon as he stopped I would take steps backwards and he would advance towards me...I can see how me backing away made him the dominate one. I just wanted to get away LOL. I thought about treats too... I really hope they aren't out on Friday :/
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it was a one time escape! HA One of my uncles had billy goats when I was younger and it took a while before I wasn't scared of them. It was odd, once they got to know me and realize I wasn't trying to take over.. they were the sweetest things. Still, before getting to that phase I was head butted in the back and butt when I tried to run from them. That didn't feel good at all!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ha! That is so funny since you made it away. I know how mean billy goats can be, especially when there are girl goats around. Once my dad broke a 2x4 over a billy's head because it was on a hormone fueld rampage, but it still kept going.

Watch out for that peacock too. They can be vicious as well when looking for lady friends. My sister in law has one and I'm more afraid of it than the dogs in the area.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Haaa! My mental image was awesome!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Heeee. Sorry... I have been chased by killer geese. Those were my Dads pets. Geese are mean little you know whats. Thinking of inventing shin guards especially for that reason. I think I could make a million dollars selling them. What I used to do is take a rake in one hand to fend them off, when I was changing their water with the other hand. Back geese!!! Careful on Friday. Lets us know how your run goes on Friday Okay??? :happy:
  • kodom_123
    Options
    LOL...yeah it's funny now. I have been pecked by a goose or two in my day too :P mean little boogers! Turkies are mean too lol.
    I will let ya know how Fri goes. My husband went out about 8:30 and he said the goat was still out n about but never came outta the gate. He said the billy watched him like a hawk though till he got past the yard lol. Hopefully they get them put away before Friday! :)
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    LMAO!!! I just got a visual LMAO!!
  • kodom_123
    Options
    Welp...the Billy goat was in his pin this morning. He definately took notice. He was laying down and when I passed by he stoood up and watched me till I was gone and on the way back through he stood up again and watch me like a hawk...followed me in the pin and then turned back to his rest spot after I got just past his yard.

I hope they keep him pinned up cuz I don't doubt he will come after me again, I think he has something against me hahaha.
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    LOL glad you were safe today.
  • kodom_123
    Options
    Goat strikes again.....

The goat was in the pin when I went by the frist time and I was watching him...when he saw me he headed straight for the place in the fence where I assume he is getting out. He acted like he was on a mission.
    On my way back through I was lookng for him...sure enough, there he was on the road. He saw me and ran back through the gate to the house but I didn't take any chances...I turned and went up a side street then when I was done I called my husband to come pick me up :P

Then my husband went out for his run and this is what insued in my front yard.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUOIxUDE4Q&feature=plcp

you're welcome... :P teehee