strength/30 day shred ?'s

Options
Hi all,

I am not new to working out..I currently workout 5 days a week. I run, elliptical, spin, walk, swim...love my cardio! However, I'm looking to incorporate some strength training. I belong to a gym that has lots of weights but not too familiar with strength training.

I need to tone for sure.. my question is.....what kind of results will the Jillian Micahels 30 days shred bring? I was thinking I could do that at home in the evenings and still continue my cardio.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

Replies

• ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert as I'm new as well. But I'm happy to share my experience and the information I've gathered here.

I've seen some amazing before/after photos from the 30DS and I decided to try it. Today I will do day 10 of level 1. It's a combination of cardio and strength training. It's a good workout and I like that it packs a good punch into just 20 minutes. I tend to do a lot more stretching afterwards because the stretching included in the video is minimal, at least for level 1.

My understanding is that if you're eating at a deficit, and especially if you're doing a lot of cardio, you won't be able to build muscle mass. What you can and should do, is maintain the muscle you've got while you burn the fat.

I have been advised to lift weights and lift heavy, starting ASAP. I decided to do the 30DS for a month and then shift to more weights, less cardio.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info..I too have been advised to lift heavey but have NO ideas what that even means or how to go about doing that..LOL

strength/weights is NOT my fav...hahaha I would rather do cardio..I thought maybe of doing the 30 DS to get used to strength before I tackle weights per se..

I think I'd almost need a personal trainer..I know how to use the circuit weights at the club but I don't think thats what they mean when they say lift heavy..not sure..

Dawn
  • watchamc
    Options
    Hi sorry for jumping in here but have just started the 30day shred myself and was wondering how to account for it in my fitnesspal diary? I tried to add it as a new exercise but really had no idea what I was doing lol. Any ideas folks? Thanks.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30-day shred - I'm on Day 5 and I'm seeing results already, in that my arms, legs and tummy look more defined. But I imagine whether you see results will depend on how defined and toned your body already is - mine wasn't very toned, so that is why I am seeing a difference now.

Also, you can choose what weights you use - I'm using 1kg weights, but I imagine if I did this again in future I'd want to use heavier weights to get better results.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hi sorry for jumping in here but have just started the 30day shred myself and was wondering how to account for it in my fitnesspal diary? I tried to add it as a new exercise but really had no idea what I was doing lol. Any ideas folks? Thanks.

Circuit training, general, for 20 minutes.
  • watchamc
    Options

Thanks!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have lots of toning that needs to be done. I figure it can't hurt to do more..lol how difficult is it? Are you supposed to do it everyday?
  • ahmommy
    Options

This is exactly what I do also.
    I have lots of toning that needs to be done. I figure it can't hurt to do more..lol how difficult is it? Are you supposed to do it everyday?
    I've done it every day, except 1. I started with using a couple of cans from the pantry until I could get to the store and buy real weights. When I went from the cans to 5lb weights, my arms were so sore the next day that I couldn't make myself work out. But otherwise I've stuck to it. Initially I had planned to do it 5 days a week and take two rest days (Friday and Saturday) but I've since decided to push myself and get through it faster, hopefully to see faster results.

As far as how difficult it is - it depends on your current fitness level and which weights you use. I think going to 5lbs was a little ambitious since it made me so sore, but I think I'm also getting faster results now that I'm past the soreness. The first few days were rough working through the soreness in my legs, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't keep working out.
  • ahmommy
    Options
    Thanks for the info..I too have been advised to lift heavey but have NO ideas what that even means or how to go about doing that..LOL

strength/weights is NOT my fav...hahaha I would rather do cardio..I thought maybe of doing the 30 DS to get used to strength before I tackle weights per se..

I think I'd almost need a personal trainer..I know how to use the circuit weights at the club but I don't think thats what they mean when they say lift heavy..not sure..

Dawn
    I don't know either, but I've heard good things about "New Rules of Lifting for Women." A search for that or the acronym NROLFW will probably bring up a bunch of threads. Free weights are better than using the machines, but using the machines is better than nothing at all!