Coconut Oil - Yuck

RozayJones
RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
Hello!

Does anyone have any ideas to mask the taste of coconut oil. Something I can do daily?
I just added coconut oil to my diet and mixed it in a green smoothie I drink daily. The smoothie has a pretty strong taste of it's own so I didn't think I would have a problem but all I can taste is the coconut oil and I do not like coconut.
Thanks in advance! :embarassed:

Replies

• Get a different oil and give it to someone who likes coconut. It's not a shy flavour. I don't think you can mask it. I love it.
  • RozayJones
    I'm not sure another oil with have the same benefits :( I had my full thyroid removed and this is suppose to be great for symptoms....I wish I liked it, you are right it is a very strong flavor.....
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    I'm using the refined coconut oil and I don't taste it in my food. Are you using that or the virgin coconut oil?
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    I love it! I eat it on everything! Even eggs....and yes, they have a slight coconut taste. Try it on your sauteed veggies or something else, maybe you won't be able to taste it? I am eating sauteed veggies right now and can't taste coconut whatsoever!
  • Oh dear, poor you!
    Well you know what they say, if you try something 17 times you should like it by the end! So maybe persevere?
    Or is it worth trying with dishes made with lots of spices to take the edge off the flavour? Like a curry?
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Go to your local health food store, I've seen some that are aroma free :)
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    its a strong flavor to be sure. i used to HATE coconut, now i love it. i feel like it can be an acquired taste.

i usually try complimenting it, doesn't exactly mask it but kind of rounds it out. Ginger and lemon (with peel) are my favorite flavorings to add to a smoothie. i get these frozen cubes of ginger and add them along with a chunk of lemon in when i first add greens so it gets really really blended well. (or if there's berries in a smoothie, try adding cinnamon to this too).

what about a bit of pineapple? one of my fave smoothies is spinach, kale, avocado, cilantro, apple, pineapple; a bit of coconut oil would work well in it.

do you eat rice or quinoa? my favorite way to enjoy coconut oil is to toast some cooked rice or quinoa in a pan with a little bit, then add cinnamon, orange peel, a teeny bit of sea salt. (could be microwaved instead of toasting in a pan too).

and, of course, the most common compliment for coconut oil would be curry powder, but probably not for smoothies.
  • RozayJones
    I'm using the refined coconut oil and I don't taste it in my food. Are you using that or the virgin coconut oil?

Yes I am using the virgin......hmmm maybe I should switch!
  • RozayJones
    Thank you everyone :smile:
    Good ideas I will try.....possibly even the 17 day thing....Maybe I will end up liking it...