cutting coffee to lose weight?

Options
I love my coffee. It curbs my appetite and I just enjoy it so much. But, I wonder if it spikes my insulin and is it the culprit in slowing my weightloss.

Does anyone out there have experience in cutting the coffee..then seeing the scale move more easily?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it could spike your insulin if you are drinking it without sweetener. :huh:
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've started drinking coffee again, but I have to admit when I did this detox where i eliminated all caffeine, sugar (artificial and natural), and dairy I DID sleep better and wake up more rested.
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I am also a massive coffee addict. I find i need to have about 3 or 4 cups of it a day otherwise i feel really sleepy and get really bad headaches the next day. If it does affect weightloss id deffo like to know!!
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. It curbs my appetite and I just enjoy it so much. But, I wonder if it spikes my insulin and is it the culprit in slowing my weightloss.

Does anyone out there have experience in cutting the coffee..then seeing the scale move more easily?

Unless you're adding tons of sugar, creamer, chocolate, and other things in your coffee than it shouldn't. Coffee suppress your appetite so should help a little as in helping you not eat too much.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I loves me my coffee, too. I have at least one big cup in the morning to start my day, and if I work out in the late afternoon/early evening I'll often have a cup shortly before that. Used to keep me up at night, but with all this exercising that's not an issue anymore. Definitely has not had an effect on my weight loss -- I've given it up before (it kept me up at night when I was sedentary) and saw absolutely no difference in my weight.

I do drink a ton of water. At least 2 liters a day. Don't know if that makes any difference.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have 3 cups of coffee daily and it's with sugar-free creamer. I count the calories but I don't believe it impacts my weight loss. There are some studies that theorize it might help to increase metabolism very slightly, not sure if this is true but if I count the calories then I don't see the problem. It hasn't been a problem for me. If you have to give something up for your diet then I'd guess there are several things that would have a far bigger impact for many. I gave up soft drinks because of concerns of insulin spikes and sodium but I'm going to hang on to the coffee. If you don't have high blood pressure or other conditions then I don't believe it's all that bad.
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    oh okay thankyou! defiiantly dont think i could give up my coffee easily!! haha
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of cups of coffee every morning and I even add fat free vanilla creamer and it hasn't effected my weight loss. It seems to curb my appetite in the morning so I don't even feel hungry until lunch. So in that way, it helps with keeping my calories where they need to be to loose weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a superfood. Ridiculous amount of health benefits from drinking it, including protection against diabetes, stroke, Alzheimer's, and heart disease.

Why would it spike insulin? And what's wrong with insulin spikes anyway? You need insulin spikes to drive nutrients into your muscles and vital organs, that's what it does (it doesn't actually store fat, that's a gross misrepresentation of how metabolism works.)
  • SJR139
    SJR139 Posts: 1
    Options
    Black coffee will not spike your insulin. However - coffee/caffeine is a diuretic so your body will lose water and may become dehydrated. Your digestive system uses water to move food through your intestines and coffee dehydration may cause your digestive system to slow down (making you constipated and sluggish) The part of the brain that drives thirst is intertwined with the part of the brain that drives hunger. People often mistake thirst as hunger - so coffee/caffeine dehydration may actually make you eat more. If you drink plenty of water with your coffee and work to stay hydrated you should be fine!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Any stimulant, like caffeine, can raise you blood sugar. However, unless you're a diabetic with blood sugar issues, and you're sensitive to the effect, I wouldn't worry about it.
    the impact of caffeine on insulin action may be associated with a small, but detectable rise in blood sugar levels, particularly after meals. -- Mayo Clinic
    Edit to add: also ignore all the talk about insulin being involved in weight gain. It's nonsense.
  • SouthernLawman
    Options
    Everything that I have found does not support cutting coffee out to help you loose weight; but for every cup of coffee you drink you shoul add two cups of water. Coffee will actually dehydrate you which does effect weight loss, so if you drink more water that is supposed to counter react the dehydrate. Of course you cannot believe everything you read online.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I know I've been told to try and stay as close to the calories that the system assigns to you. You're at 1200 calories a day which is the minimum but sometimes you aren't eating about 300 calories out of that. I think you might be actually causing your body to fear losing weight so it's holding onto it because you're putting it into starvation mode. I've been warned that doing that will actually make it really hard to lose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I loves me my coffee, too. I have at least one big cup in the morning to start my day, and if I work out in the late afternoon/early evening I'll often have a cup shortly before that. Used to keep me up at night, but with all this exercising that's not an issue anymore. Definitely has not had an effect on my weight loss -- I've given it up before (it kept me up at night when I was sedentary) and saw absolutely no difference in my weight.

I do drink a ton of water. At least 2 liters a day. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I think the general rule is to drink an extra ounce of water for every ounce of caffeinated beverage.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's why I'm not hungry often... all the coffee I drink...
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to drink coffee and drink double water. You'll pee a lot but this is what I do because coffee makes me thirsty anyway, and I have no issues with it hindering my weight loss or my health. I drink one cup a day.

The only issue I have with coffee is people loading it up with cream and sugar, and chocolate sauce and chocolate flakes and whipped cream and flavor shots. That's just a caffeinated dessert. My favorite coffee is with skim milk only. I like the taste.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things I'm willing to give up to be healthier, but coffee is not one of them.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Caffeine causes me to have sugar spikes. I eat MORE when I drink regular coffee, my nerves are raw all the time, and I have chest pains. I've never understood how it suppresses appetite.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Coffee, diabetes, and weight control. Am J Clin Nutr October 2006

http://www.ajcn.org/content/84/4/682.full
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day with cream & 2 sugar. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to lose weight fast. Now I have 1 cup of coffee in the AM with cream & 1 splenda. That's my treat for the day. Otherwise, i drink black tea since I don't mind tea without cream. Along with other diet changes, I was able to get my A1C levels from 12 to 5.7 in 9 mos & no longer take Metformin.