Question about eating back calories

Options
I have a question as it pertains to 'eating back' calories after workouts. I log my food and exercise each day (weekends are sometimes more difficult). I do see that with cardio workouts, those calories burned are added back in to allowable calories for the day. I also noticed that weight lifting does not add anything. Why is that?

I just completed a workout that took about 40 minutes, and 30 solid minutes were lifting and such. Here's a breakdown of what I did:

Bench press (assisted/machine) - 1x25lb plate each side - 1:00 no rest
Squats - 1:00 no rest
Pulldowns - 75lbs - 1:00 no rest
Jog - 5.5mph - 3 minutes
Military press - 20lb DBs - 1:00 no rest
Lunges - 1:00 each leg, no rest
Bicep curls - 20lb DB - 1:00 no rest
Jog - 5.5mph - 3 minutes
Tricep extension - 35lb - 1:00 no rest
Leg extension - 55lb - 1:00 no rest
Leg curls - 70lb - 1:00 no rest
Situps - 2:00 no rest
Crunches - 2:00 no rest
Goblet squat - 20lb DB - 1:00 no rest
Mountain climber - 1:00 no rest
Single-arm KB swing - 0:30 each arm no rest
T-Pushup - 1:00 no rest
Lunges - 1:00 no rest
DB row - 20lb DB - 1:00 no rest
Side lunge - 0:30 each leg no rest
Pushup-position row - 20lb DB - 1:00 no rest
DB lunge & rotation - 15lb DB - 1:00 no rest
DB Push Press - 20lb DB - 1:00 no rest

So my ultimate question is - I undoubtedly burned some good calories doing this, keeping my heart rate high. Do I follow MFP and not eat back any calories I burned from this workout? Do I add "weight lifting" under cardio? I don't even know approximately how many calories I burned doing that. I'm really striving to hit my goal. Knowing if I have extra calories to eat or not can make or break hitting that goal.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MeganTarvin
    MeganTarvin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can add "strength training" under cardio. You just put in the minutes and it will give you the calories you burned. Good luck.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to know how many calories are burned during strength training (it is likely MUCH less than you think it is). Also, Heart Rate Monitors are inaccurate for this as well.

Generally I do add "strength training, General" under cardio and count it as 1 calorie just to keep track of the days I lift. If for whatever reason I perform any cardio say, for 10-15 minutes after lifting, I will turn my HRM on and count those calories to eat back.

I'd suggest if you lift 3-4 times per week you change your activity level in MyFitnessPal and do it that way as you will likely severely over-estimate trying to eat back all calories burned during strength training.

Best of luck!

also, some interesting read on why it's impossible to know-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • skudera27
    Options
    Thanks. From what I've read, the strength training is good for post-workout calorie burning. I know there's no way to tell exactly how many calories burned, and that it's not going to be as much as say running - but I'd just like knowing there are additional calories to be eaten if needed. The circuit is tough, and I definitely felt fatigued at the end... which is I good thing.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Thanks. From what I've read, the strength training is good for post-workout calorie burning. I know there's no way to tell exactly how many calories burned, and that it's not going to be as much as say running - but I'd just like knowing there are additional calories to be eaten if needed. The circuit is tough, and I definitely felt fatigued at the end... which is I good thing.

Yeah... unfortunately, there isnt a way of knowing if you burned say 100 extra calories, or 400 extra calories as any device you try and use will assume you are doing steady-exercise and movement based on heart rate, even though you may be resting in-between sets.

If you change your activity level MFP assumes you are burning more calories throughout the day. I would do it that way, because those extra calories would be accounted for. Again, this is just what I choose to do!

Best of luck!
  • skudera27
    Options

Yeah... unfortunately, there isnt a way of knowing if you burned say 100 extra calories, or 400 extra calories as any device you try and use will assume you are doing steady-exercise and movement based on heart rate, even though you may be resting in-between sets.

If you change your activity level MFP assumes you are burning more calories throughout the day. I would do it that way, because those extra calories would be accounted for. Again, this is just what I choose to do!

Best of luck!

Are you referring to the daily activities? I have a desk job, so besides the time at the gym, I'm usually sitting. I do weight training 4 days a week, and I do cardio 5-6 a week.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Best of luck!

Are you referring to the daily activities? I have a desk job, so besides the time at the gym, I'm usually sitting. I do weight training 4 days a week, and I do cardio 5-6 a week.

Exactly. Because you are in the gym 5-6 times a week, and lifting 4 times a week your body is burning more calories throughout the day, and with strength training you won't be able to estimate those calories.

By setting your activity level to say "lightly active" or "active" you may be able to eat those calories back in your daily goal as opposed to having your goal set to "sedentary" which allows less calories, and then adding additional calories for exercise.

I hope that makes sense.... ;_;
  • skudera27
    Options
    Exactly. Because you are in the gym 5-6 times a week, and lifting 4 times a week your body is burning more calories throughout the day, and with strength training you won't be able to estimate those calories.

By setting your activity level to say "lightly active" or "active" you may be able to eat those calories back in your daily goal as opposed to having your goal set to "sedentary" which allows less calories, and then adding additional calories for exercise.

I hope that makes sense.... ;_;

Yes, does make sense. I just hope I won't be eating too many calories at that point!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There are HRMs that are designed for weight lifting. I believe the Polar FT60 has strength training on it. It is pricey but if you really want to figure it out, I'd recommend that one. I believe what that HRM does is tracks spikes in heart rate that you get from strength training and calculates it correctly.