I always start strong but then I stop. Advice?

Options
Hi Everyone! I know that it's not up to you, it's up to ME, to keep going to push through and to accomplish my goals. I have the habit of starting things but for some reason or another I just can't follow through. Seems the only things I can finish are junk food meals, and a few books. When I started my weightloss journey back in March 2011, I needed to drop 80 lbs. after dropping 50-60 I am stuck. I start.. the typical 2 steps forward and 5 steps back routine. I know I can't be the only one that goes through this!
So; I was wondering, if you are some one that also struggles with this same issue but you have been able to keep on.. how do you do it? what works for you? I know we are all different, but maybe hearing your story will help me in some way.

side note: Yes, I have A.D.D., Yes I take meds. I am not the kind of person to try to "prove" to others what I am capable of or etc. I'm not sure how I stayed so disciplined to lose the first 50, perhaps it was because of the rapid results, perhaps it was because it was before I had my Thryoid removed due to Cancer. I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tricks or tips and for your time!

Replies

• leannehoggdodd
    Options
    Hi, sometimes I think when you have been doing well for such a long period of time doing the same fitness routine and eating the same meals you get bored! It becomes very dull and is very unmotivational.... If I could suggest one thing that works for me is to gave a shake up in routine
    1. Change your excersize regime, try classes at a gym that you havent done before or anything really that is different to what your already doing.
    2. Mix up your diet - get new recipes that again you havent had before.
    3. Set new goals for yourself and achievements - pick a date where you aim to loose a certain weight for - arrange a get together with pals and tell them what its for.

You just need the motivation back - if all else fails get a half naked picture of yourself on the fridge!

Good luck chicken.x
  • Schmetterling14
    Schmetterling14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You say you're really good at starting things. Concentrate on your strengths. Just "start" your lifestyle daily. Or, heck, even hour by hour is a new start.

Oh, and 50-60 pounds means you have a LOT of follow through, in my book. That took tons of grit and work. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Did ever watch the old GIJoe cartoons? I really didn't, but I watched a show that came on after it, so I saw the last 5 minutes, and at the end, they always had some kind of moral lesson that culminated with a kid saying, "Now I know!" and the GIJoe hero saying, "And knowing is half the battle."

You recognize the pattern. You know you start strong and stop. Knowing and recognizing it IS half the battle. The next battle is to stop yourself when you're about to quit, and ... quit quitting. Easier said that done, sure, but that's the case with everything worth doing.

For me, what worked best was not trying soooo hard. Not making ginormous life changes. Making small, sustainable changes. Becoming more active, which started with just walking the dog, then starting Couch to 5k, then running 3+ miles at least 3 times a week, then adding weight lifting on days between runs. But if I'd tried all that at once, I'd have burnt out a year and a half ago.

Same goes for eating right. Don't try to overhaul everything at once. Make small changes. Chances are, you're eating habits aren't THAT bad. If someone gains about 10 pounds a year, that's less than one pound a month, or only eating about 100 calories more than their body needs. Someone like that doesn't need to switch to eating the bare minimum to lose. Aim for one pound a week for now. As you get closer to your goal, switch it to a half pound a week.
  • 30forApril
    30forApril Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @leannehoggdod-->> You are absolutely right! I am bored with my routine, I worked out at home for months and months and got some results. It was great! but yea, I just am not feeling it anymore. There is actually this little women only fitness class gym that I've had my eye on for a while, I even called to get info, back in February but I didn't pursue it any further than that. In part it was because they don't offer child care, and in part because I am afraid that I won't follow through and in turn waste my money. I guess I just need to not think about it, and just go for it?

@Schmetterling-> Thank you for the kind comment, I never thought of it that way... It was just really easy for me to lose it, don't know why. And the start daily lifestyle deal makes sense... When I first started , I would set really small goals... I'm going to put on my work out clothes today, next I'm going to pop in the dvd, next i'm gonna get up and do it, next i'm gonna do another dvd, and so on... setting those super mini goals worked for me then. I am always hard on myself, and can't really see my strengths.

Ya'll have given me a couple things to think about and put into action...
  • harlesslee
    Options
    Find your inner winner!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 30forApril
    Options
    Did ever watch the old GIJoe cartoons? I really didn't, but I watched a show that came on after it, so I saw the last 5 minutes, and at the end, they always had some kind of moral lesson that culminated with a kid saying, "Now I know!" and the GIJoe hero saying, "And knowing is half the battle."

You recognize the pattern. You know you start strong and stop. Knowing and recognizing it IS half the battle. The next battle is to stop yourself when you're about to quit, and ... quit quitting. Easier said that done, sure, but that's the case with everything worth doing.

For me, what worked best was not trying soooo hard. Not making ginormous life changes. Making small, sustainable changes. Becoming more active, which started with just walking the dog, then starting Couch to 5k, then running 3+ miles at least 3 times a week, then adding weight lifting on days between runs. But if I'd tried all that at once, I'd have burnt out a year and a half ago.

Same goes for eating right. Don't try to overhaul everything at once. Make small changes. Chances are, you're eating habits aren't THAT bad. If someone gains about 10 pounds a year, that's less than one pound a month, or only eating about 100 calories more than their body needs. Someone like that doesn't need to switch to eating the bare minimum to lose. Aim for one pound a week for now. As you get closer to your goal, switch it to a half pound a week.

Haha! love the G.I.Joe comment, I did watch it, but I don't remember anything about it or what came after... hahah! that was so random but yet so appropriate... You're right, my eating habits aren't all that bad, with the exception of the past 2 weeks, I tend to eat lean proteins, veggies, & fruits.. so much so that I need to take iron supplements for my anemia. I am not a big fan of red meats or dairy (except PiZZa ofcourse is the devil and it makes me eat it...lol) I don't eat a whole lot of breads or pasta, but I do enjoy it ever so often.

I find that I can maintain my weight just by eating the way I normally do, and don't usually struggle to make good eating choices. What's really hard for me to do, is the only thing that I can do to actually lose weight... Excercise! It's so hard because I used to really love to excercise, and honestly once I get started, it's hard to stop (that day) but as soon as I miss one day, I tend to start giving up little by little til I've completely stopped... However, I feel the tips ya'll have posted are very useful, they are starting to give me a little hope that maybe I can do this.
  • 30forApril
    Options
    Find your inner winner!

Haha! Love it! Where do I start looking? I know she used to be there, but seems that she's packed her things and gone into hiding...
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    You can do it hun - have you got any friends with kids? You could all start and go swimming -fun for kids -good for you and not expensive! Good luck.xxx
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    you have to very clearly understand why you are doing this. Like, what's the underneath reason...the real reason. Not "to lose weight". In some respects, that's kind of stupid. That's not the reason people want to lose weight. There's usually another reason. It might be health, it might be something else. But, write it down and remember it. So, when you don't feel like it, remember why you are doing it in the first place.
  • 30forApril
    Options
    @Never Stray

It makes sense... My reasons for wanting to lose weight are, in "let's get real" order are- To look good, to look better than all the girls who hated on me when we were younger. So my husband will be proud that I am his wife, and so that we can be the "hot couple". To not give my body any more reasons to betray me. I have already overcome thyroid cancer, am living with A.D.D. and don't want to have to deal with any other health problems ever again. And, hopefully so that my kids can learn by the example my hubs and I set for them and grow to have a healthy lifestyle when they become adults and have my entire family tree to live the same.

Perhaps my reasons may seem to be prioritized wrong to some, but that's the truth. So when I think about losing weight, I should be thinking "I want to look good,better than so & so does now." (as childish as it seems) and maybe that will weigh more on me and push me more than just being general and saying "I want to lose weight."

Seems like such a simple thing to do, but I think is a great way to switch up the mentality!

Thanks!
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    All of the responders have excellent viewpoints. I want to ask you if you feel comfortable with your Thyroid medication and the doctor your are seeing. I did not have thyroid cancer, but my thyroid just quit working. I went through several changes in my dosage of thyroid supplements over a period of several years until we finally found an optimal level for me. The range of "normal" is quite large, and your normal might be higher or lower than someone else's. It is important to find a doctor that will work with you on how you feel as well as where your numbers fall.

As far as my motivation, weight gain with children and with undiagnosed thyroid problems to the point that I developed hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and every other "high" you can have. My feet were losing feeling. I watched my mother in law ignore her diabetes and have emergency heart surgery, strokes, and other problems directly related to the diabetes. She spent the last 10 years of her life in a wheelchair wearing diapers. The last 6, she was on a feeding tube and couldn't even enjoy eating, her one great pleasure. Her grandchildren only knew her as a sick, old woman whom they had to visit.

Yes, I have tried and failed many times, quitting as soon as an event I was losing weight for was over. What finally got to me was my health deteriorating even more. I got scared. I don't want to be like my mother in law. I don't want to lose my feet. I want to see my children grow up. I don't want my grandchildren to remember me as that old woman they had to visit. These are strong motivators, and for the first time in my life, I am doing this for me, not for an event or someone else. And yes, I love looking good in my clothes and getting complements from people I haven't seen in a while! Those are added bonuses.

You obviously can and want to get in shape. We have seen you doing this until your little break. So tomorrow is a new start! And so is the next day, and the next day. One day at a time, you can do this. We are here to support you!
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why not keep starting strong over and over?
    If this is your pattern don't do the middle and end bits!
    Be successful with tiny insy mini gaps. Whatever works for you, work with it. No need to be down, success is there for you.

Good on you for looking at yourself with honesty. I would like you to see that you are well over half way there, see how far you've come. Celebrate and revel in your success.

Jasmin
  • 30forApril
    Options
    All of the responders have excellent viewpoints. I want to ask you if you feel comfortable with your Thyroid medication and the doctor your are seeing. I did not have thyroid cancer, but my thyroid just quit working. I went through several changes in my dosage of thyroid supplements over a period of several years until we finally found an optimal level for me. The range of "normal" is quite large, and your normal might be higher or lower than someone else's. It is important to find a doctor that will work with you on how you feel as well as where your numbers fall.

You obviously can and want to get in shape. We have seen you doing this until your little break. So tomorrow is a new start! And so is the next day, and the next day. One day at a time, you can do this. We are here to support you!

thanks soozie, Yes! I am happy with my Dr. and my meds... He does listen to me, and does work with me, he's not an Endo, but I like him better than any endo I've ever been to...he doesn't treat me like a number on a lab sheet range. I have "tested" him kinda, doing my own research and playing dumb sometimes when I go see him, and He seems to be right on the money and has not let me down once. I think maybe because He met me before He was my doctor, so he takes a personal interest in my case. He's not my bestest friend in the whole wide world, but we became more than acquaitances over the years, then I went to see him as my family doctor. I wonder who you're seeing, is it Dr. Dons by any chace? I ask because my boss goes to SA to see her Dr, and that's his name.

thanks so much for the support, you're defenitely right, I was doing really well until our vacation... i guess I got a little high from all the fun but then it all went down hill....lol...
  • 30forApril
    Options
    @marijasmin- you make a good point, I am more than half way there, I don't know why it''s so hard to see that? I can see other's accomplishments but refuse to see mine... I always say that when I look in the mirror i still see the same me i was a year ago. I know that I am smaller because I had to but smaller clothes, and the before and now pics show me so...lol... but it's hard to celebrate any accomplishment for me, I guess because I don't want to allow myself to celebrate anything until I reach my goal... why? I should be proud of myself for getting to where I am... I DO deserve to think I look pretty good... thanks for the comment girly!
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You look great just as you are. From now on its only extra good.

Jasmin