HRM Suggestions

Options
I am looking to get an HRM with the chest strap and have been researching them quite a bit online...this being said, you can only get the real recommendations by word of mouth.

Which are your favs and which do you suggest to avoid and why if you don't mind sharing. I find it too hard to track my exercise accurately and would really like to know what I am burning.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• sdleeper
    sdleeper Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman HRM. It doesn't pick up my heart rate half of the time, or half way thru running/exercising, it will drop my heart rate. So, needless to say, I wouldn't get one of these again.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way. I got mine on bodytronics.com and used a promo code (google, I got 5% off or something) to get it for under $60. It doesn't have ALL the bells and whistles, but I don't need them.

I strap it on and get down to business - I don't feel it, and I love the display options on the wristwatch part. At the end of my workout it shows how long my routine was, and how many calories I burned. Perfect! Stores 10 workouts, so if you can't log right away, the data is waiting for you later :)
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am looking to get an HRM with the chest strap and have been researching them quite a bit online...this being said, you can only get the real recommendations by word of mouth.

Which are your favs and which do you suggest to avoid and why if you don't mind sharing. I find it too hard to track my exercise accurately and would really like to know what I am burning.

Thanks!!!

I use Polar HRM.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Purple/dp/B001F0PVNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344449063&sr=8-1&keywords=POLAR+FT60

It's AWESOME! Tells you how many calories you burnt, and how many of them were fat%!
    Also tracks your workouts and gives you a weekly goal based on what your goal is (weight loss, fitness increase, etc)

I would definitely look into it!!!
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Polar all the way! I had a Sportline and it sucked butt! The Polar FT4 or FT7 are great ones that have chest straps and are super easy to set up and use. :)
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it! Several of my friends have the FT4 and love there's as well. I probably would have gotten the 4, but found a great deal on Amazon that only made the 7 $8 more at the time.

Good luck - I don't know what I would do without my HRM now!
  • robersonj
    robersonj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a Pyle one that I found on Amazon for $20. The trick to getting it to pick up your heart rate is to wet the sensors on the chest strap before use. I actually have two because I accidentally lost the chest strap to the other one. It doesn't do everything, but if y9u're just looking for heart rate and calories burned, it's a cheaper alternative to the other ones...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is great for someone who just wants basic functions...calorie count, timer, heart rate. Thats about all the FT4 does. It only saves up to 10 workouts as well. Its does factor your calories based on weight, height, age, and sex. The watch it easy to use! I will attest the chest strap is very comfortable, not itchy. Not too hard. Its soft and I hardly notice it's there. Sometimes I even forget to take it off a while after my workout. Any of the Polar series will be good.
  • Bethyvm
    Bethyvm Posts: 8
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and bought mine because a friend of mine has one and loves it. I really like mine and how it is set specifically to me, so it gives me an accurate rate and calorie burn.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 and Polar FT7 are almost identical. The only difference is number of workouts saved and fat burn/fitness mode indicator (on FT7). FT4 is slightly cheaper than FT7, but it does the basics like keeps track of your average heart rate, time in target zone, and calories burned.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have the Pyle Sport, which I got on Amazon for $25. I needed something waterproof and it was the only that stated outright that it was. You can see my review at
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jcpmoore/view/product-review-pyle-sports-hrm-230089

The gist is I love it.

One caveat- if your chest is smaller than about 34 inches, you will have to do surgery on the strap to make it fit. That's as small as it gets.
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. Simple to use and works great. Got mine from Amazon.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have used the Polar FT7 and FT40 for the past year. They are both great watches and have proven to be very accurate in estimating caloric burns.
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and( as a woman with a decent sized chest) do not like it. I have sores from where it rubs on my chest and hurts. I need a new one. Other than that, I have had some issues with accurate HR count.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep this in my topics. Great suggestions.
  • andie2013
    andie2013 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've heard great things of Polar FT7 and that's what I'll be getting. I hope I won't get much trouble getting used to having that strap around my chest.
  • jmfraggis
    Options
    Looks like I am going to be going with Polar Brand. Thank you sooo much everyone for your feedback. I don't mind spending the money if it works :happy:
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good information.
  • ccbarbeau
    ccbarbeau Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 210 and I love it :)
  • jmfraggis
    Options
    Purchased the Polar FT4. Thanks everyone!
  • keeshieb
    keeshieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a bowflex and i love it gives heart rate how much fat burn calories and more