Does exercise affect your sleep?

Options
If I exercise too close to bedtime it takes forever for me to fall asleep. I worked out at around 9 or 10:00 p.m. last night, and I was up until 4:00 a.m.! But, I do get good quality sleep if I exercise early in the day.

Does working out interfere with your sleeping?

Replies

• UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    Yes it does.
  • lshaunessy
    Options
    When you work out, you get your adrenaline going, as well as endorphines, which keep you awake.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out late definitely keeps me up later. I try to work-out about 3 hours before bedtime (if I have to workout in the afternoon). And with that I fall asleep easily and sleep very well.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    When you work out, you get your adrenaline going, as well as endorphines, which keep you awake.

There are some people who can work out, shower, get right in the bed and fall fast asleep. I tried that, and I was cleaning the house in the middle of the night haha.
  • katpisseverdeen
    Options
    I can't manage to fall asleep for hours after I work out, even though I'm always very tired. I burn usually 300-600 calories per hour of working out, and I work out at least an hour every day. I am not sure why this is, because people I know who exercise regularly also don't have any problems falling asleep. I've also been dreaming a lot more since I started working out.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I exercise too close to bedtime it takes forever for me to fall asleep. I worked out at around 9 or 10:00 p.m. last night, and I was up until 4:00 a.m.! But, I do get good quality sleep if I exercise early in the day.

Does working out interfere with your sleeping?

Same thing happened to me. Last time I ever worked out later at night! :tongue:
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really affects my sleep. I normally work out in the morning, and it makes me energized and wakes me up.
    The few times I had to work out at night, I stayed up until 3am and I was climbing the walls.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If it's a short workout then yes but I find after my long run (usually finish at about 10pm!) it doesn't matter and I fall asleep super fast, probably because I'm exhausted lol
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    I work out before bed on a frequent basis and I think it helps me to unwind/get rid of stress and sleep better. I think your body adjusts after a while.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that as well. Now it seems like I can't sleep well unless I exercice, but I have to be careful not to exercice too close to bedtime... I need at least 1-2h before I go to bed.

It's getting a little complicated, can't workout in the morning anymore so I'm trying to deal with this!
  • emilym_3
    emilym_3 Posts: 62
    Options
    I usually work out around 5:00 pm, I have no trouble falling asleep, but if I worked out hard the night before, I am very sleepy the next morning.
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options

There are some people who can work out, shower, get right in the bed and fall fast asleep. I tried that, and I was cleaning the house in the middle of the night haha.

I'm a bit of a weird one, shower, food, then can go straight to sleep!!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Yep...it jacks me right up. CRAZY!!!~:smile:
  • John_Gonna_Do_Better
    Options
    I am one of those people you are talking about. I work out at five in the morning, I then go to work and then work out once again an hour before I go to bed. I think since I get up at the crack of dawn that my body does not care what Im doing before bed. It just wants to go to SLEEP!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I can work out and hit the sack too. My wife, on the other hand, can't; if she had a 9PM soccer match she'd be up until 1AM .
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    I work out early, but I've been having lots of sleeping problems anyway. More than usual! I figure eventually my body will settle down, but I hope it's soon!
  • bkguarna
    bkguarna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea "symptoms" and because of the current state of "healthcare reform" I can't get a sleep study unless I have a life endangering condition such as congestive heart failure. Now, at 28, I do not have CHF and therefore cannot qualify for a sleep study per my insurance. My doctor recommended losing weight as a primary goal to battle my symptoms and it seems to really be working. The MFP goal you see below does not really reflect how far I've come, as I first registered at 220 and then gained 9 pounds because I thought just registering would make me lose weight (go figure). But since I decided to dedicate myself at the end of June 2012 I've been hitting the gym everyday and lost 16# down to 213 and my fiance has told me that I now sleep like a baby!

I work out in the morning (usually 30 minutes elliptical and 30 weight training), which tends to keep me in a constant state of hunger throughout the day, but a cucumber here, almonds there and I can keep the cravings in check until lunch / dinner. When I'm lagging in the afternoon I close the office door and crank out 30 pushups to get me pumped up and through my sloth.

Long story short, if your workouts at night are causing you problems with falling asleep, maybe give the AM workout a chance. It may jumpstart you for the rest of the day!

Good Luck!
  • cdmyers6
    cdmyers6 Posts: 10
    Options
    Exercising stimulates your heart, brain, and muscles. It also increases your core temperature. All of these things combined can definitely keep you from getting a good rest right after working out. These effects can last for 3 hours after you exercise! While the benefits aren't so great before trying to sleep, they do wonders for you during the day! Many many times I have felt so tired after work that I didn't want to workout. However, I just did it anyway. Afterwards I am so much more energized! It seems counter-intuitive though. Shouldn't you be more tired after a workout? Yes and no... maybe your muscles are tired but you will mentally feel more alert and energized =]
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually workout about 2-3 hours before bed. My workouts usually make me hyper for about an hour, then I'm tired and ready for bed.