meal planning-how do you do it?

Options
kgeer31
kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
I have tried a number of "systems", bulletin boards, coding, and recipe searching to try to build a meal plan for my family from week to week with very little success. I can't seem to find a rythm to stick to. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I start with the sale paper. I find what's on sale and then look through my recipes to plan our meals for the week. I have them all (tried and ones I want to try) saved in a cookbook software on my laptop that also syncs with my iPhone, so I always have them handy.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I go through my recipes, try to find some things with similar ingredients, and a few simple recipes. Then I make my grocery list up, and get what I need, that's why I like the recipes to kind of have similar ingredients so I don't have to buy a lot of stuff for one recipe and waste the rest.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    We rotate through the same 6-7 meals. Just easier that way. Cheaper too, buy in bulk!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I usually go on skinnytaste.com or some other recipe site and see what recipes i wanna make for the week... then i write it all down, then write the ingredients out on my grocery list. That's about it. It's a pain in the *kitten* trying to figure out the menu for the week though. I hate it. So time consuming (for me)
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    Someone posted a pintrest pic from Martha Stuarts website today, it was a stuffed squash with beans, garnished with guac....and I thought wait that's healthy. Hmm...sometimes cooking websites give you inspiration, especially for me in the vegetable department.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I start with the sale paper. I find what's on sale and then look through my recipes to plan our meals for the week. I have them all (tried and ones I want to try) saved in a cookbook software on my laptop that also syncs with my iPhone, so I always have them handy.

Ditto. I use a note sharing program (Evernote) to store my recipes and make my shopping list, which is then accessible on my Android phone, my husband's iphone, and our home computer.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    First I check what I still have left in the house. I usually find a recipe or look through what's on sale.
    Then I usually have a lot of ingredients left over, so I make something with that for the next day.
    I also have a list of dinners I really like on my computer, for when I am really out of inspiration.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I do it a month at a time, on a large desk calender we hang on the wall. I do a huge pan of roast chicken on monday, then do chicken and dumplings, or chicken pot pie, or chicken enchilada casserole, etc that week. Then ill do a huge crockpot full of spaghetti sauce one monday and then do lasagne, or spaghetti, or pizza's the rest of that week. We have a mexican week when i do a crockpot full of beans, etc. I try to not waste anything, including any broth or drippings, so i try to plan it out well in advance, shop the sales with coupons and stock up on items we use regularly. But this way i also know nothing will go bad before we use it and the family loves leftovers for lunch.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I do it a month at a time, on a large desk calender we hang on the wall. I do a huge pan of roast chicken on monday, then do chicken and dumplings, or chicken pot pie, or chicken enchilada casserole, etc that week. Then ill do a huge crockpot full of spaghetti sauce one monday and then do lasagne, or spaghetti, or pizza's the rest of that week. We have a mexican week when i do a crockpot full of beans, etc. I try to not waste anything, including any broth or drippings, so i try to plan it out well in advance, shop the sales with coupons and stock up on items we use regularly. But this way i also know nothing will go bad before we use it and the family loves leftovers for lunch.

That's a really good idea.. Thanks!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I almost never use recipes. I buy loads of produce, grains/pastas, and proteins (chicken, ground turkey, fish, beans.) That way I'm always able to sautée/bake/grill a protein and steam/grill/roast some veggies, and voila! No planning required AT ALL, and my manly meat eating husband, vegetarian 11 year old, picky 3 year old, and minimal meat eating self are always happy. :)
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    The longer you do it the easier it gets. On a daily basis I usually build my day around dinner. This makes it easier to keep my husband and son happy and stay within my goals as well. I don't always have the entire week planned out so in that case I have breakfast then if I haven't already planned dinner I figure that out. Then I pick lunch and fill the day in with snacks of fruit, protein shakes and nuts. I'm all about bargains and coupons so thats how I decide what to buy, and I pick at least three specific recipes I plan to make out of what I buy for the week. Always have staples on hand and make lists before going shopping so you have what you need in the house. Check out sites like skinnytaste.com and dashingdish.com to get great tasting healthy recipes.
  • kgeer31
    Options

Ditto. I use a note sharing program (Evernote) to store my recipes and make my shopping list, which is then accessible on my Android phone, my husband's iphone, and our home computer.

I just started "evernote" yesterday. This may work-Thanks!
  • kgeer31
    Options
    ok, so sounds like I'm stuck kinda doing what I'm doing. I hate taking so much time out for recipe stuff though, Thanks for all your help!