Surprise Benefits of Weight Lifting!

Options
So we all know the obvious benefits of strength training: sexy muscles, looking better in your clothes, accelerated fat loss, increased bone density, being strong- and yet still I see posts asking "If I can't build NEW muscle in a deficit, what's the point in strength training?". Well, I'm constantly finding new reasons why it's awesome and some have surprised me.

1) It's improved my running!
2) It's eradicated a chronic pain problem in my neck/shoulder (common for people who work at a desk).
3) I can eat more and still lose weight.
4) I can squat over a public toilet with ease!
5) My whole life, I wore racerback bras because I have sloped, weak shoulders and straps always fall down. Now, I can wear regular straps, and strappy tank tops/dresses and they stay up! It's not a huge change- probably not visible, but it might be my favorite change of all!

What surprise or shocking benefits have you found- let the naysayers know!

Replies

• Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    LOL to #4! I'm going to be lifting more, and Im going to try following the routines in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. What do you routines look like?
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Those are all AWESOME benefits of weight lifting!!!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I used to have knee pain that would keep me from running long distances. Yesterday I ran a 5K pain free! I attribute that to squats (which I also thought would hurt my knees... nope!).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yup. I too have a lot of chronic neck pain and it has gone away since I started lifting (desk job). Everything is easier, from getting out of low cars, to picking up large appliances, to manual labor (digging, climbing, you name it). I'm also slowly improving my shoulder which has been a major problem for my entire life (could only shoulder press 20lb dumbbells 8x when I started!).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yup. I too have a lot of chronic neck pain and it has gone away since I started lifting (desk job). Everything is easier, from getting out of low cars, to picking up large appliances , to manual labor (digging, climbing, you name it). I'm also slowly improving my shoulder which has been a major problem for my entire life (could only shoulder press 20lb dumbbells 8x when I started!).

Yes! I have window air conditioners, and last year bringing them up from the basement and putting them in was a real project. This year it was no big deal!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm a faster swimmer, biker and runner because of it.

I can do more things with less help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Mine really just expands on what has already been said.

For me the main benefits, outside the body composition and weight loss aspects, are:

1) bone density: I had a DEXA scan done a couple of months ago and my bone density was off the chart good - most likely due to a combination of copiuos lattes and strength training

2) as with you, I have found it significantly helped with chronic pain. I had previously suffered with pain in my lower back which went away when I started lifting years ago. I had a serious (non lifting related) illness a few years back for which I was hospitalized for quite a while, during which I contracted a staph infection that went into my upper spine leading to osteomyelitis. This resulted in chronic pain between my shoulder blades, exacerbated by sitting in front of a computer for my job for most of the day. For a while, due to my illness, I stopped lifting and my lower back pain came back as well. Now I have restarted lifting again, both of these pains have, for the most part, gone away.

3) Being able to lift heavy *kitten*
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I like lifting, I agree with the benefits that have already been posted. I feel like I walk straighter taller, proud of the muscle that will be emerging soon ( ive been lifting about 6 weeks now)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in on the chronic pain thing. I always had a shoulder/neck issue that would often end up sending shooting pain down my arm, sometimes my hip on that side would ache, you name it. Regular weight lifting has totally made it go away. I can't remember the last time it bothered me.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The public toilet part made this my fav post of the day!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    The public toilet part made this my fav post of the day!
    LOL- I don't think men realize how much of a benefit this really is!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a faster runner.
    I also have better form/posture while running/walking/sitting.
    I feel stronger (mentally, physically, and emotionally).

That public toilet comment was hilarious though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I like lifting, I agree with the benefits that have already been posted. I feel like I walk straighter taller, proud of the muscle that will be emerging soon ( ive been lifting about 6 weeks now)

Actually, this is one I missed - but I think it helps with posture. Now wheher that is confidence or something more physical, I am not sure, but feeling like a bada$$ can help with posture definately!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yup. I too have a lot of chronic neck pain and it has gone away since I started lifting (desk job). Everything is easier, from getting out of low cars, to picking up large appliances , to manual labor (digging, climbing, you name it). I'm also slowly improving my shoulder which has been a major problem for my entire life (could only shoulder press 20lb dumbbells 8x when I started!).

Yes! I have window air conditioners, and last year bringing them up from the basement and putting them in was a real project. This year it was no big deal!

Yup. I have a monster window AC unit (75-80lbs) and last year it took two of us to put it in. This year I could have picked it up one-handed if it had a handle on it. Ridiculous the difference just one year makes.

I've also noticed my lower back doesn't get sore from leaning over a lot (picking things up, cleaning, etc).. It would be sore for days sometimes.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Actually, this is one I missed - but I think it helps with posture. Now wheher that is confidence or something more physical, I am not sure, but feeling like a bada$$ can help with posture definately!

I agree, I haven't thought of posture, but I'm sure walking taller (and for a shortie like me, that's important!). Improved posture also makes you look thinner- so double whammy benefit!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    LOL to #4! I'm going to be lifting more, and Im going to try following the routines in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. What do you routines look like?

I lift ~2x per week, using varying combinations of:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Rows
    Overhead Press
    Lunges
    Chin Ups (assisted)
    Dips (assisted)
    Wide Grip Lat Pull-Down
    And a few other assistance lifts here and there.
    I'm currently doing a 5x5 format, which I like a lot. Takes me about an hour usually.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Bone density too :) dont know if someone mentioned that before.. I'm trying soo hard to get the girls at my gym to come to the dark side of the gym with me!! They are missing out!
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had surgery a month ago and haven't been able to lift since. I'm starting to wake up with lower back pain again. Can't wait for 3 more weeks to be up so I can lift again.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Bone density too :) dont know if someone mentioned that before.. I'm trying soo hard to get the girls at my gym to come to the dark side of the gym with me!! They are missing out!
    LOL @ the dark side of the gym- get the girls and take it over! The guys won't mind, they get sick of looking at each other, I think ;)
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The other night my kids were in a parade and *I* had to walk the length of the street twice AND stand still for nearly 2 hrs but didn't need to sit down. I wanted to, but didn't need to. Thank you squats.