Help with vegetaran protein thats low calorie

Options
I've been a vegetaran for a while so I know what kind of things have protein and are veggie friendly but I'm having a hard time coming up with recipes that are low calorie. And I'm coming up short on my protein intake everyday.

Can any of you help?

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I used to cook a lot of Quorn. It's got a lot of protein and is low calorie. For a 'clean' option, quinoa is 172 calories per 50g, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, it's been a while since I cooked quinoa.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are great.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    tofu. i know, for some reason, it appears to be unpopular, but it is lo-cal, lo-carb, hi-protein and you can cook it any way you want! i make an awesome tofu salad (like tuna salad) with fresh herbs, veganaise, whatever you like! and sautee, bake, grill, whatever!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You don't say you're a vegan so... Learn to love eggs, eat in abundance and never stop. Eggs might be THE best food you can eat.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I freaking HATE cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. The only way I can stomach them is if I disguise them, like by blending cottage cheese with protein powder and a bunch of other stuff to make a protein shake, or by adding granola to Greek yogurt. But then I'm adding carbs and fat! I don't eat soy products because of all the plant estrogens...that stuff is NOT good.

I've been shooting for 40/30/30 macros and while I usually can get around 40% carbs, I generally end up with close to 40% fat and a measly 20% protein. I'm trying so hard to gain muscle and I don't know what else I can do, because I'm constantly chugging protein shakes and choking down protein bars. I'm starting to wonder if I can actually achieve the body I want without eating meat. I've been veg for 18 years now and the thought of eating meat again is terrifying.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Lentils!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and tempeh
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian too and generally start my day with a protein bar and yogurt. Good start on protein amount. Check out my diary for brands and ideas.
  • ashleyslovitsky
    Options
    Can I have your recipe for tuna tofu? I'm interested in trying tofu but it's intimidating! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    OH, also if you get sick of greek yogurt... try Siggi's icelandic yogurt. Less sugar, more protein. My favorite yogurt by far.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love tofu, but it's not very good for you on a daily basis- the artificial estrogen can wreak havoc on women’s body in particular; both my gyno and endocrinologist told me to cut it out entirely, but I still have a tofu dish every couple months or so because I love it so much. I would stick with nuts/beans/legumes along with a whole grain. You need to eat two complimenting proteins when you're vegetarian because most plant sources do not contain a full profile of amino acids, thus they are 'incomplete' proteins. You have to remember as well that plant proteins are not absorbed by your body as readily as animal proteins, I’ve heard varying actual percentages, but it always seems to be the bottom line that you need to eat more plant protein then you would animal protein. If you’re eating animal byproducts, then I’d definitely get in some dairy products.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, lentils, tofu, quinoa, rice protein powder, high protein pitas for my veggie sandwiches, edamame, luna bars, soy milkshakes, soy yogurt/pudding, oatmeal.

I usually can get 100 grams of protein a day with these foods......combined with my other main meal foods too of course. I am vegan so non of my protein comes from even dairy products of any type.
  • krichardson0102
    krichardson0102 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I go over on proteing everyday! I eat plain greek yogurt for breakfast, but sometimes add agave syrup. Cottage cheese and a tofurky sandwich for lunch. Then dinner usually contains some type of Quorn product, their "chicken" cutlets are not breaded and only have 80 calories. I also enjoy their burgers, meatballs, and crumbles. I burger is only 90 calories. Their products are not made of soy and are really really yummy!
  • jshort152
    Options
    Soy protein powder
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Edamame. I love it fresh/steamed and dry roasted as a snack. Kashi Go Lean Crunch - great for protein and fiber. Clif Protein Bars - the chocolate mint is delicious (20 grams of protein). Gimme Lean (LiteLife) sausage style veggie protein is really delicious. I love to make it into sausage gravy over a high fiber english muffin.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Egg whites if you eat eggs. If you don't, try vegan protein powders, hemp, pea, and rice protein powders are pretty much pure protein. You can mix them into a smoothie with a little fruit and still not break the calorie bank. Also tofu kinda works, it's low-carb, and high-protein, but it is also high fat.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/409401-phytoestrogens-in-the-diet/

the evidence seems inconclusive per livestrong.com, which is relatively safe and highly regarded about phytoestrogens! but, thanks for giving me the reason why ppl suggest against it--i have been concerned bc i did not know why someone would say tofu wasn't healthy, lol. i also do have hypothyroidism, which soy is rumored to have an impact on, but my endo says not to worry, as my meds have been stable even with increased soy consumption:)
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I freaking HATE cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. The only way I can stomach them is if I disguise them, like by blending cottage cheese with protein powder and a bunch of other stuff to make a protein shake, or by adding granola to Greek yogurt. But then I'm adding carbs and fat! I don't eat soy products because of all the plant estrogens...that stuff is NOT good.

I've been shooting for 40/30/30 macros and while I usually can get around 40% carbs, I generally end up with close to 40% fat and a measly 20% protein. I'm trying so hard to gain muscle and I don't know what else I can do, because I'm constantly chugging protein shakes and choking down protein bars. I'm starting to wonder if I can actually achieve the body I want without eating meat. I've been veg for 18 years now and the thought of eating meat again is terrifying.

you can. google "vegan body builders". there will be lots of good suggestions there.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You need to eat two complimenting proteins when you're vegetarian because most plant sources do not contain a full profile of amino acids, thus they are 'incomplete' proteins.

Research from the past several decades has shown that you do *not* need to specifically combine proteins in a single meal, if you get protein from a variety of sources throughout your day, your body will handle the rest.