To all my vegan friend...

Options
aqm22
aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
Other than beans and tofu, what food that is vegan with protein in it?

Replies

• ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Quinoa. I've heard about it for years, and just recently tried it. It is very nice.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, sprouts, whole grains, most vegetables, seitan, soy milk (soy yogurt, etc.), vegan "fake meat," tempeh, protein bars, protein powder.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I was curious, so I searched Google:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Also don't forget the nut butters, although high in (good) fats.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Every plant has protein in it, fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. Leafy greens and broccoli are particularly high in protein as a percentage of calories, as well as an extremely high micronutrient density. As long as you're eating lots of whole foods plant-based items, you're getting enough protein. Just steer clear from the processed stuff and empty calorie vegan foods.
  • matafleur
    Options
    cjc166 said it well. eat a diet rich in vegetables and grains (don't forget about couscous, lentils, etc).

If you're looking for "proteiny" foods, tempeh and seitan and great alternatives to tofu.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Huh...Okay, Leafy green veggies. Got it. Then, what's the nutrients that I need to make sure I get if I start doing this vegan thing.
  • PastryWizKid
    PastryWizKid Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    peas and lentils have protein
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Huh...Okay, Leafy green veggies. Got it. Then, what's the nutrients that I need to make sure I get if I start doing this vegan thing.

I highly advise reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. There are also several other authors that have written good books if Dr Fuhrman's brand of eating is not your thing (he is my favorite, obviously). i.e. Dr. Esselstyn, Rip Esselstyn, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Ornish...