Cycling or Running...which to go for...

Options
A little info about me first ....im 14 stone 5 (200lbs), want to lose weight (obviously!) but i dont particularly want a very toned figure just to get to about 154lbs and be slim, but i like my softer look, just want a little less of it!

Im fairly active during the day running around after my toddler but the dog walks aren't as long or fast any more due to my beloved dog getting older and slower so im looking to add some daily exercise.

I generally wont have more than about 20-30 mins spare in the day (come september i will be working full time and studying a degree as well as home and baby duties so i will be fairly hectic!)

I'm looking at either running or cycling. But unsure which would be better long term..

I have very sore knees and they really hurt when running, My doctor has said to persevere and they will get better..im not sure, my dad is in need of knee replacements and I dont want to do too much damage as my job relies on me being up and about for 15 hours at a time...(I'm training as a midwife come september so need to be able to keep active in awkward positions!)

I have shall we say generous boobs which even the market's highest strength sports bra *just* keeps under control and pain free...

Im thinking cycling would be better to get me fitter as less pressure on the knees and no black eyes from the boobs and I could cycle to uni/work from time to time...and we have a lovely new 21 mile cycle/running path just opened on our doorstep...

But I hear so many benefits on Running.....

So guys and girls, im open minded....your opinions please!

Replies

• Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I would say cycling - that way if it came to it you could take your toddler along too - no excuses! :bigsmile:
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would say cycling - that way if it came to it you could take your toddler along too - no excuses! :bigsmile:
    oof! i have a front fitted bike seat but it makes you ride like John Wayne! But at least she has fitted air bags! and makes it impossible to steer or go up a hill......or maybe im not as fit as i thought!!
  • PrincessRunner1
    PrincessRunner1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From everything you've said, kind of sounds like you've decided cycling is the best for you. I personally love running, but I get shin splints pretty often, so I'm trying to incorporate different types of cardiovascular exercise as well. Running really does take a toll on the body, and definitely takes time to build up to running long distance (if that's what you're going for). I say just try each of them and see which on you like better. Just take it slow at first. If your prone to knee issues though, I would definitely recommend running on softer surfaces. Grass if you can, a track is somewhat soft, and even asphault is slightly softer than concrete.

Side note... don't know how you feel about resistance training, but if alternate that with your running or cycling, it helps to burn lots of calories and it builds and works different muscles to aid you in your running or cycling.

Sorry I'm a little all over the place! Good luck with everything! :)
  • chinamonkey
    Options
    i kind of am preferring the cycling but if running is a LOT better then i can work on that...what do you mean by resistance training? am intrigued!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Both cycling and running are excellent exercises, would you be able to commute to work and/or school on your bike (even 2 or 3 days a week)?

While running may burn more calories given the same time span cycling is something you could do with your little one and if you're knees bother you may be a better alternative (perhaps alternate between the two - they compliment each other)
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest both like Brian. Do one for 3 days a week(cycling if you have knee problems) and then switch and do the other on the in between days. :) I prefer running so its my primary but cycling is my secondary.
  • erin_kercheval
    erin_kercheval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like running could be a little risky for your knees. Cycling is great, just do a little research on how to get good calorie burn. Depending on what kind of bike you have, the way you use the gears will make a big difference on your cardio workout while allowing you to ride longer & not completely wearing out your legs. I'm no expert though, I just ride for fun... just going on some pointers from my cyclist friends & family. Make sure you're using the right kind of bike for where you are riding and that it's the right size frame for you, etc. Both have great benefits, you will probably just need to spend more time on a bike to burn the same amount of calories as with running.

Also, as a previous poster wrote, some resistance/strength training would definitely help you reach your goal sooner. You don't need to get muscular, I like my womanly shape too and don't want uber-toned muscles either. There are a ton of light weightlifting programs, yoga & pilates that will not turn you into a beefcake. :) All I know is that when I tried doing only cardio, I didn't get as far as with adding in some strength training. Food for thought!
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    i have just started rnning and LOVE it! I take my girls with me sometimes, they ride along on their bikes!
  • PrincessRunner1
    PrincessRunner1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you haven't ran or done cycling try each and see which one you like. I like riding a bike outside, but the spin classes that gym's offer (even though you burn tons of calories) I HATE. Think if I'm on a bike, I want to actually be going somewhere. Forget to mention too that treadmills are great surfaces to run on too. But resistance training is just lifting weights. Most females don't like to because they think they're going to get bulky like "all those guys at the gym", but that's not true. It really does help in burning calories and if you think about all of your muscles being connected and working as a unit, don't you want all of them to be equally as strong? If one set of muscles is working harder than another, it could lead to injury. Now this is all based on my interpretation of personal trainer talk and online articles, but since I started lifting weights with my lower body, I can tell a difference when I run. I don't get near as sore.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like more and will do regularly....I really don't see the benefit of doing one over the other, though I personally chose biking to avoid the shin splints and to cover a greater distance and thus see more scenery.
  • chinamonkey
    Options
    Interesting points everyone!

I could bike to and from work maybe a couple times a week (depends on if i need the car to pick my little girl up/drop her off at her granny and grandads! - no way would i ride through traffic here with her on my bike...there are so many driver lunatics out there to risk her! and the roads are quite congested fast traffic roads)

I could do weights - my hubby has a selection!

My bike, im ashamed to admit is one i got for my 13th birthday :blushing: (im 30 in a few weeks!) It has been serviced this year and is still in good working order (it didnt see much use for many years and was sat in the garage for years!) It has new tyres but is a standard mountain type bike...sizing is perfect but it has 6 gears and it has always been left in the hardest gear as any higher up and it feels too loose and like my legs are going ten a penny!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    A little info about me first ....im 14 stone 5 (200lbs), want to lose weight (obviously!) but i dont particularly want a very toned figure just to get to about 154lbs and be slim, but i like my softer look, just want a little less of it!

Im fairly active during the day running around after my toddler but the dog walks aren't as long or fast any more due to my beloved dog getting older and slower so im looking to add some daily exercise.

I generally wont have more than about 20-30 mins spare in the day (come september i will be working full time and studying a degree as well as home and baby duties so i will be fairly hectic!)

I'm looking at either running or cycling. But unsure which would be better long term..

I have very sore knees and they really hurt when running, My doctor has said to persevere and they will get better..im not sure, my dad is in need of knee replacements and I dont want to do too much damage as my job relies on me being up and about for 15 hours at a time...(I'm training as a midwife come september so need to be able to keep active in awkward positions!)

I have shall we say generous boobs which even the market's highest strength sports bra *just* keeps under control and pain free...

Im thinking cycling would be better to get me fitter as less pressure on the knees and no black eyes from the boobs and I could cycle to uni/work from time to time...and we have a lovely new 21 mile cycle/running path just opened on our doorstep...

But I hear so many benefits on Running.....

So guys and girls, im open minded....your opinions please!

Do both. Each exercise works different muscles. By doing both you reduce the risk of overuse injuries and end up with a healthier you.
  • fishuttleworth
    Options
    I have similar issues with knees and air bag size!! Having done both running and cycling over the past few months I definitely prefer cycling. As I go to the gym I've just been working on upping my levels over time. I also walk uphill instead of run as it burns calories at not too bad a rate. Throw in a bit of rowing and not only does it break up the types of cv but it works different muscles too. When I started resistance weights my weight went up a couple of lbs at first but now I really see the benefit of it as not only am I losing weight but I'm toning up nicely (not bulking up!). Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I say why not both! When I started MFP I was over 300lbs and had very bad knees I have already had surgery on one and am terrified to have the other done. Upon entering in the world of fitness I started out on the elliptical but shortly my co workers got me interested in Cycling. Since that day I have lost 46lbs and my knees very rarely hurt anymore.

I have recently started running, I am only up to 1 mile so far but even after that mile my knees feel fine. Also, cycling helps build your endurance which is very helpful if you do start running. Hope this helps! Good luck on your journey!
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I say go for both!

I'm new to jogging (Week 3, Day 2 of the Couch to 5K), and on at least one of my "rest" days, I bicycle between 6 and 8 miles. What I've found is that the biking is helping strengthen the muscles in my legs, particularly around my knees, and I'm not having the kind of trouble with shin splints that I've had in the past. Not to mention the sheer exhilaration I get by going down hills so fast and on my own power, lol!
  • chinamonkey
    Options
    I have similar issues with knees and air bag size!! Having done both running and cycling over the past few months I definitely prefer cycling. As I go to the gym I've just been working on upping my levels over time. I also walk uphill instead of run as it burns calories at not too bad a rate. Throw in a bit of rowing and not only does it break up the types of cv but it works different muscles too. When I started resistance weights my weight went up a couple of lbs at first but now I really see the benefit of it as not only am I losing weight but I'm toning up nicely (not bulking up!). Good luck with whatever you decide.

oh i love rowing!! when i used to go to the gym a few years back i was posting times that were just a little slower than the mens times and i was a relative newbie! They said not many women did it so didnt have a chart for them...my mum used to have a rowing machine when i was a kid and i could spend hours on it!

Have been wondering about getting a fold able one for the house.....could get some of the UKs golds in 4 years! lol
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Both... you can run the little one in a stroller as well as ride and yes, your knees should get stronger. Make sure you have good running shoes and try not to run on concrete and harder surfaces.
  • chinamonkey
    Options
    Thanks everyone - lots to look at and think about!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    You ae getting great advice here. I too weighed 200 pounds when I started MFP and I began to run and cycle. So I say go for both and enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • Irizzzle
    Irizzzle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do both and enjoy them both. I had knee surgery last year from a skiing accident, and when I started running again, I had all sorts of problems with knee pain. I saw a physical therapist and he really helped me work on my running form, I noticed an immediate difference. If you have pain while running, it might be good to do some work on your running form. You can google "new balance good form running" to see a video. i don't wear minimalist shoes or anything like that, but good form pays off no matter what shoes you wear.

It's also good to do resistance/weight training to complement either sport, but I hear it's very important if you bike, since it isn't a weight bearing exercise like running is. From my personal experience, weight training helps me with my running as well, a strong core really helps with having good running form.