Does anyone have backaches when using the rowing machine?

Options
I was wondering if anyone suffers from backaches when using the rowing machine, it usually starts to hurt about 10mins into the workout and then i have use the bike till the discomfort goes then go back on it again.

Replies

• kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your form is probably off -- your back should not hurt on the rowing machine. Have you had someone show you how to use it?
  • AHatFullOfSky
    AHatFullOfSky Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your form is probably off -- your back should not hurt on the rowing machine. Have you had someone show you how to use it?

This.

Have someone who knows how to really use the machine observe you.
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    try not to slouch too much. also when going back you should straighten your legs first, then lean back, then pull arms in..not all at once
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are tightening your abs!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I did for a while for the first 8 weeks or so of using it, my back is stronger now so its not a problem. check your form and persevere, it should get better if your form is right.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Make sure you sit up straight as you push with your legs, then lean back, then pull, then release arms, then legs. I know my back rounds a bit when I get all the way to the front of the rowing machine, but I try to keep it as straight as possible. It should WORK your shoulders and back, but it definitely shouldn't hurt. If you don't have anyone to show you how to do it, do what I did and google or youtube "proper rowing form." I watched about 15 different videos before I even sat on my rowing machine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    make sure to keep your core engaged. no slouching, sit up straight. dont sink into the seat but use your core to keep your diaphragm lifted
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    exactly. you are using it wrong. You should be using the strength in your legs. Maybe look on youtube for instructional videos.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    As the previous posters have said it's probably your form. There are some great videos on youtube demonstrating rowing form and, depending on where you're located, there are indoor rowing gyms where you can get a little coaching if needed.

Are you doing any core work (specifically your back - like supermans)?
  • AHatFullOfSky
    AHatFullOfSky Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Search youtube and find videos that show the correct technique.

Concept2australia has some pretty good demonstrations on good vs bad form.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    i've been watching my form in the mirror and keep my back straight when i pull back, i have a bad habit with my posture in general so that might be it.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    push with your legs!
    you're supposed to slouch a little when you're catching it.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    explode with your legs. that's where your power comes from. don't pull with your back till the end of the movement.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    As the previous posters have said it's probably your form. There are some great videos on youtube demonstrating rowing form and, depending on where you're located, there are indoor rowing gyms where you can get a little coaching if needed.

Are you doing any core work (specifically your back - like supermans)?

I work my core but i don't think i do enough of it...might try abit more ab work
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    More than likely incorrect form. Have a trainer watch you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition