Too much fiber??

Options
What kind of impact would this have on weight loss ? or your body in general?

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    An excess of fiber would likely cause bloating, cramps, and gas. If someone has too much fiber and not enough water, I think they are likely to get constipated.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    An excess of fiber would likely cause bloating, cramps, and gas. If someone has too much fiber and not enough water, I think they are likely to get constipated.

This is what I was thinking- the past few days i've had way too much fiber *addicted to these fiber one bars* and I keep losing then gaining then losing then gaining... i'm up 1 lb from yesterday but was under calories :( Boo! *Puts fiber ones away*
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Fiber is really good for you but you do need to be drinking lots of water! I sometimes put in 40grams a day but usually always atleast 25. :)
  • TheAshpie
    TheAshpie Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Those Fiber one brownies are a terrible addiction. Hah. I have a box of them from costco and I keep them way, way way up on the top shelf. I try to limit myself to one a day, or one every few days. I think it has a lot to do with the type of fiber they use. I can eat a ton of fiber from natural sources (Oranges, oatmeal, etc..) And not have any problems, but one of those and I'm gassy (Maybe TMI) And upset stomach.
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking- the past few days i've had way too much fiber *addicted to these fiber one bars* and I keep losing then gaining then losing then gaining... i'm up 1 lb from yesterday but was under calories :( Boo! *Puts fiber ones away*
    yeah but remember one every now and again is alright. I'm a fan of them as well.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Those Fiber one brownies are a terrible addiction. Hah. I have a box of them from costco and I keep them way, way way up on the top shelf. I try to limit myself to one a day, or one every few days. I think it has a lot to do with the type of fiber they use. I can eat a ton of fiber from natural sources (Oranges, oatmeal, etc..) And not have any problems, but one of those and I'm gassy (Maybe TMI) And upset stomach.

Those and the chocolate and oats bars. YUMMM.
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    well that explains a lot of my 'personal discomfort' right there! haven't tried the bars or brownies but i was trying fibre as an additive for awhile. and it sounds like if you're not drinking enough water - which i don't tend to do - then fibre increasing is a bad idea.

i found this - http://www.weider.ca/en/myth-buster-categories/the-truth-behind-the-myth#fibre - as well to help. pretty brief but to the point. hope it helps!

basically if you increase your fibre, you need to increase your water too. if you already struggle to get in eight glasses, then adding extra fibre is probably a bad idea. and apparently, bran isn't the be all and end all of fibre like we thought! of course, doing more research is a good idea.