Machines at the Gym

Options
I've read pros and cons about weight machines at the gym. I have a not so great back and can't afford a personal trainer right now to help me with free weights.

Are there any good weight machines out there? I used to use them way back when I had my old gym membership and am thinking of starting up again but I'm not sure if they're worth using if that makes any sense.

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The problem with weight machines is you don't engage any stabilizing muscles so you lose out on a lot. Do you know anyone who goes to the gym and uses free weights? Maybe they could work out with you and help you learn the free weights and proper form.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've read pros and cons about weight machines at the gym. I have a not so great back and can't afford a personal trainer right now to help me with free weights.

Are there any good weight machines out there? I used to use them way back when I had my old gym membership and am thinking of starting up again but I'm not sure if they're worth using if that makes any sense.

While I am not a huge fan of machines in general. some are not so bad. Do you have the cable machines at your gym? - these are much better in my opinion than the more fixed motion machines.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    using just the weight machines is like going and paying for a gourmet steak dinner, then just eating the parsley and maybe a bite of salad.

Start LOW with free weights, build up
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    weight machines aren't bad for you (sure pros and cons with each machine). If you write down what weight you are using each time and how many reps you can improve as you go. When i had first gotten to goal before gaining a bunch back I was using them all the time. Just remember that by the end of your 10-15 reps (with 2/3 rounds) you should feel like you could not have done any more (with correct form). Same goes for free weights really.

Plus, sometimes when you start up a new gym membership they might give you 1 free session with personal trainer. Hope that helps... :drinker:
    good luck!
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in a long time, just rejoined this week but I think there was a cable one. I'm saving up for one session with a trainer but in the meantime I wasn't sure what to do.

I don't know anyone that goes right now that uses free weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in a long time, just rejoined this week but I think there was a cable one. I'm saving up for one session with a trainer but in the meantime I wasn't sure what to do.

I don't know anyone that goes right now that uses free weights.

The cable ones are far better than the fixed motion machines as they do not force an unatural motion. If they have cable machines, you can simulate most free weight exercises.

The suggestion to see if you can get a first lesson free - or at least an intorductory session would be good though to get you acclimatized to the free weights and to learn proper form.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Just remember function before form.

If you want one of those bodies where their muscles are slightly visible under their skin and they are nice and proportionate and LOOK like they lead a fit lifestyle... remind yourself that you only look like that by doing the types of movements and actions that the human body was designed to do.

You can kill yourself doing the bicep curl machine, the tricep extension machine, the lat pull down machine all just spending time in the gym- OR You could do some chins ups and pull ups.

You could sit and confine your legs to the extension/hamstring curl machine, then do the push your foot backward resistance butt thing, then the crunch machine, then do pushups, then the calf press machine, then the shoulder press machine.... or you could go do some deadlifts.

See what I mean here? The machines isolate all those wittle muscle and big muscles when you should be using them naturally in a group AND saving yourself loads of time and headache and waiting between machines :D
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Check with your gym, most will offer a tutorial on the machines so you ARE using them correctly. Good Luck!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    If you can afford less than 20$ for the New Rules of Lifting for Women book, Well worth it. Starts out slow and progresses. Also check form on You Tube. There are videos on form on there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I used the machines at the gym for nearly a year before buying my own free weights for home. I had fantastic results. I feel like I'm getting a BETTER workout from the free weights, even though I'm using somewhat lighter weights , but I still got a really damn good workout from the machines.
  • Jessika_Lynnn
    Options
    Just remember function before form.

If you want one of those bodies where their muscles are slightly visible under their skin and they are nice and proportionate and LOOK like they lead a fit lifestyle... remind yourself that you only look like that by doing the types of movements and actions that the human body was designed to do.

You can kill yourself doing the bicep curl machine, the tricep extension machine, the lat pull down machine all just spending time in the gym- OR You could do some chins ups and pull ups.

You could sit and confine your legs to the extension/hamstring curl machine, then do the push your foot backward resistance butt thing, then the crunch machine, then do pushups, then the calf press machine, then the shoulder press machine.... or you could go do some deadlifts.

See what I mean here? The machines isolate all those wittle muscle and big muscles when you should be using them naturally in a group AND saving yourself loads of time and headache and waiting between machines :D

I'd listen to her! She's lost 90 pounds already... I'm pretty sure she knows what she's talking about! =P
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If you can afford less than 20$ for the New Rules of Lifting for Women book, Well worth it. Starts out slow and progresses. Also check form on You Tube. There are videos on form on there.

Its also a really good READ - like seriously- you will enjoy ALL THE WORDS!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the regular gyms, but at the Y, the personal trainers are more than happy to point you in the right direction of machines to help you.

I would look for the back extension machine...any of the machines that say they work on the "latimus" muscle
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    machines are better than nothing.

but it will depend on your goals. if you're just working out to look good, then go ahead and use machines. if you're working out because you want to develop strength for other things then go with free weights.

i personally prefer free weights, but that's also because i want to start capoeira again as well as rock climbing and parkour so i'm going to need eal strength as opposed to machine strength.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Find a good program (Like NROLFW as mentioned) or do some research on the Internet. There are endless instructional videos on proper form. If you know someone that lifts, bug them for some help. The important thing is to get started and take it easy at first. Check your pride at the door and just lift light and easy until you get the hang of the exercises and understand what's proper form and what's not. You don't even need to understand everything at once. Pick an exercise, research and execute, then practice and get it down before moving on.

Now, if you really want to just use the machines that's better than doing nothing. I don't think machines are evil but I just use them as finishing exercises when I'm getting tired. They do enforce form as a function of the machine movement and while that does take away from the total benefit it doesn't erase the benefit.

I would put the break out like this:

Couch potato < weight machines < cable machines < free weights / body weight

So weight machines are much better than doing nothing at all, Much much better but don't let what's good rob you from what's best.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Couch potato < weight machines < cable machines < free weights / body weight

So weight machines are much better than doing nothing at all, Much much better but don't let what's good rob you from what's best.

I'd add "countless reps with little pink dumbbells" in between the couch potato and weight machines.

Lifting a good amount on a machine is better than lifting something that weighs about the same as a Big Gulp 50 times. :wink:
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! This is great info!

I've heard a lot about NROLFW and it's on my list to buy.

I just have to be really careful with my back. I once had a free weight gym routine maybe 5 years ago but that's also how I really, really hurt my back so I'm a little scared to go at it again.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! This is great info!

I've heard a lot about NROLFW and it's on my list to buy.

I just have to be really careful with my back. I once had a free weight gym routine maybe 5 years ago but that's also how I really, really hurt my back so I'm a little scared to go at it again.

I would honestly start with the machines, even if it is the cable machines, until you are a little stronger and more confident. I have done nothing more than the machines--no free weights AT ALL, and look what I did in about 5 months.

October last year--4 months before I started at the Y
    7729114768_eeefdd2e34_s.jpg
    IMG00184-20111007-0934 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

Kind of a blurry picture ( my 6yo took it)--3rd week in June...EXACT same outfit.
    7719009094_f62ecbece8_s.jpg
    IMG00566-20120621-1238 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr