Feeling frustrated

Options
Okay, so I really just want to vent.
I've been exercising for about 2 months, and dieting for 6 weeks. I did a bit of research through forums and some article reading and came to the conclusion it would be more realistic for myself to base my calorie consumption on a 10-20% reduction of TDEE rather than the 1200 calorie/eat back calories diet. I started the TDEE allowance about 2 weeks ago. Well, I went today and finally bought a tap measurer so I could get an accurate BMR based on my BF%. I was not prepared to see that I have a 29.4 BF% :noway: I was just so disappointed to see this, and it's just frustrating that it seems so high given all the work I've been doing, but I also don't really know my true starting point so I'm trying not to be down on myself.
At any rate, I don't want to give up. I've been adding in more weight lifting in addition to my cardio and my goal is to reduce BF% rather than an overall weight goal and want to be healthy. I know that slow and steady and a lifestyle change is the best way to go about this.....I still just feel really upset by seeing the percentage. I'm wondering if any one else has felt this way, or can anyone empathsize because I am at the point of tears over this :frown:

Replies

• BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm 5'4" 144 lbs (give or take) in case anyone asks. If I do the Army Calculator is actually goes up to 32% :/ The other one is an average from this website: http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Would it help if I told you that Health Standards for women under 40 is 20-35% BF... Fitness Standards 15-28%? And under 15% in women is considered high risk.

So 29% isn't all that bad. Health standards means improving your BF% from here won't statistically improve your health.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Online BF calculators are waaaaay off. Most online calculators for just about anything weight related aren't accurate. Get some calipers and measure or see if your gym can do it.
  • BethlovesRene
    Options
    that does make me feel a bit better, where did you get this info from? I general was looking at an article from livestrong about BF% and a few other random places, and was shocked when it said 30%+ is obese!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    This is from a trainer at a clinic in Vancouver where I had my DEXA scan done. (http://www.bodycomp.ca/)
  • BethlovesRene
    Options
    Cool, I've heard of the dexa scan sounds like agood investment.

@Rose, I just made an appointment at my gym for a consultation so they will measure my BF%...not sure what method they use though.
  • annabell48
    Options
    Yes, I can empathise with you sunshine. It can be very disconcerning to go through all of that hard work to take a measurement(s) to find out what your BF% is. It definately would have been nice to have had a starting point to see what your progress is now, I concur. Another way to check this is, How are your clothes fitting you now that you were wearing when you started? Are they fitting the same, are they loser, or are the starting to fall off of you? That is a starting point that you have dropped your BF%. Keep taking measurements periodically (6 to 8 weeks apart) and make sure that you write down your measurements as well as the date that you take them. That way you can track and keep track of your progress towards achieving your BF%.:happy:
  • BethlovesRene
    Options
    Yes, I can empathise with you sunshine. It can be very disconcerning to go through all of that hard work to take a measurement(s) to find out what your BF% is. It definately would have been nice to have had a starting point to see what your progress is now, I concur. Another way to check this is, How are your clothes fitting you now that you were wearing when you started? Are they fitting the same, are they loser, or are the starting to fall off of you? That is a starting point that you have dropped your BF%. Keep taking measurements periodically (6 to 8 weeks apart) and make sure that you write down your measurements as well as the date that you take them. That way you can track and keep track of your progress towards achieving your BF%.:happy:

Thanks for the tips, and yes my clothes are no longer tight like they were. I have noticed some muscle definition that wasn't as apparent as before. I will be doing the measurement's from now on and made a document on my desktop to easily keep track of and update.