Anyone done insanity plyometric cardio circuit

Options
Hi,

Just completed the full dvd work out DVD which is 45 minutes of dripping sweat.. just wondering if anyone has any idea of calorie burn IE.. has anyone done it with a heart monitor on ..

My whole body is twitching and i have the Elvis leg ( shaking lol)

Thanks in advance
Nicola

Replies

• nickyuk78
    Options
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Generally most of the Insanity workouts fall in the 600 - 850 calorie range. But depends on your current fitness level. If at the beginning you'll burn more than 3-4 weeks from now as you get accustomed to the workouts. On the other hand you can do more with more intensity you can burn more. I'm in the Recovery week now but most of the time I am in that range and I use a HRM with Chest Strap. I'm also male so there's a difference there as well.

One alternate way to guesstimate the amount is the perceived physical exertion level. Generally speaking as your heart rate goes up and you exert yourself you will find that you have a more difficult time doing things like talking. Based on your workout try talking to yourself out loud (curse at Shawn T.) Make a mental note and use one of the levels to grade your perceived intensity. Then use an online HRM calculator to determine the calorie estimate:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Zone Name Percentage of Max HR Perceived Exertion Difficulty
    Z1 Healthy Heart Zone 50%-60% 2-5 (perceived exertion)
    Z2 Temperate Zone 60%-70% 4-5 (perceived exertion)
    Z3 Aerobic Zone 70%-80% 5-7 (perceived exertion)
    Z4 Threshold Zone 80%-90% 7-9 (perceived exertion)
    Z5 Redline Zone 90%-100% 9-10 (perceived exertion)

A target heart-rate zone is a certain percentage of your maximum heart rate (Max HR), the highest number of times your heart can beat in one minute. Because the zones vary quite a bit from person to person, you can also decide what zone you're in by the "perceived exertion" of an exercise. If you're breathing a little hard but can talk easily, you're probably in the Healthy Heart Zone. If you're breathing very hard and can't talk well, you're probably in the Aerobic Zone. And if you can only gasp one word at a time, you're probably in the Threshold Zone.
  • nickyuk78
    Options
    Thank you .. I will go with 600 to be on the save side.. I kept up and did the whole thing and was hanging out of my *kitten* ...lol ..so think my cal burn was more but I am better keeping it lower than higher..not a big issue since I never eat my exercise cals anyway.. and I usually do five classes a week at the gym (but as summer ...no classes) hence why I am doing this.. I usually do TRX x2 and trim and tone x3 a week..so like to think of my self fit :)
  • LeaTackett
    Options
    I am doing Insanity for the 2nd time. I burned 401 calories the other night doing Plyometric Cardio Circuit.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It really depends not only on your fitness level, but your level of effort and your size. I found that the huge calorie burn estimates for Insantiy were way off for me. I typically burn 350-400 on Plyo Cardio Circuit.
  • nickyuk78
    Options
    I am 125lbs and 5"1 maybe I should go with 400 cals then...

My calves are killing right now and butt :) My face was red which is very rare .. all my clothes were wet right through ..and my hair was wet. great work out quite proud of myself :)
  • Sasha1969
    Options
    OP- 600 cals seems high. It will depend on your age, sex, weight, fitness level and how many breaks you take. When I did the Plyo cardio circuit I burned about 480 cals the first time but later on was at 370 to 430 cals max, depending on my day but I always pushed and managed to keep up pretty well. BTW- I'm female and in my 40s and have a very high WO heart rate.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i only burn 200-300 cals per insanity workout. i'm short and small, though.. burns vary depending on body size, type, and sex!

ETA: saw your height/weight. i'm *close* 5'1" 107 lbs.. so i'd go with 300 or less, 600 definitely seems pretty high
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've burned 544, 460, & 485 doing that work out. It all depends on how hard you push, what your fitness level is, your weight, etc. It's different for each person.

I'd recommend getting a HRM.
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    I've done it I love it!
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree using a HRM is the only way you'll be able to gauge a calorie burn based on your own stats (height, weight, gender, age) but I've found doing Plyo these last 4 weeks I've burned between 403 - 422 calories. For most of the Insanity month 1 workouts I tend to get results between 9 - 11 calories per minute.
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else said. I actually just finished this one and burned 408 according to my HR monitor. I got mine on running warehouse.com. I LOVE it. Before my monitor, I felt like I was just guessing at everything.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 139 and I"ve never burned 600-800 cals on the Insanity dvd, and I essentially stay above my target rate for the entire workout (typical hr during workout is between 160-180). On the stage 2 dvd's I burn around 400 calories.
  • nickyuk78
    Options
    Thanks everyone ..very helpful !
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you how many calories YOU burned doing YOUR workout. Just go with MFP calories for Aerobics or plyometics with virgorous effort. Everyone's body is different, like others have said, and it is impossible for us to tell you.

Just to give you another example of how volitile it can be. I'm 5'1'' 123 and I burn around 480 doing Plyo Cardio Circuit. Others have stated way different results than that... we can't estimate it for you, sorry.
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been basing it off of mapmyrun.com/tools/calculators. You plug in your height, weight, age, sex, choose an exercise from the drop down, and plug in how many minutes you did it, and it will calculate it for you. I'm sure its not totally accurate, but it provides a good base.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The answer of 600-800 may be more geared towards men. I'm about an inch shorter than you and weighed about the same my first time through Insanity, and I usually burned about 450 for the tougher workouts.
  • nickyuk78
    Options
    wareagle8706 - I was asking in general not actual .. looking at everyones views ..like I said in a previous post .. I don't eat my exercise calories so it doesn't affect me by getting 100% actual calories burnt. Just looking at the big picture.
  • kimgettinfit
    kimgettinfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    with that workout being 45 minutes long or so, I am somewhat of a beginner, 5'5 145 lbs. with my hrm I burn between 350-375 on that workout. 600 is really high for that. Some insanity workouts or ppl who have been working out hard for a long time may burn close to that much--the MAX workouts in 2nd month which are 60 minutes long. Hope that helps.