Any powerlifters?

Options
Hey guys & girls...just wondering if there are any powerlifters on MFP? I was doing a cycle of powerlifting about 4 yrs. ago. I achieved some pretty impressive numbers during that time. I am looking to start over again in September when my work schedule settles down. Any good routines/splits you can recommend? Previously, I got a lot of my routines off www.exrx.net. I LOVE lifting heavy and will go into maintenance as I cycle back up to heavier weights. Look forward to hearing from you.

~Beauty is Strength~

Replies

• Clamspike
    Options
    all i can say is: The heavier the better
    Go Big or Go Home
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    Go Big or Go Home
    ^^This. No pink dumbbells here!
  • Clamspike
    Options
    Go Big or Go Home
    ^^This. No pink dumbbells here!

lol good one
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    I started doing powerlifting training at the beginning of this year. At the moment i'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 program - really good for building strength :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Here! I haven't done any comps yet but I'd love to in the future sometime.

Numbers aren't too bad but have a way to go yet. Love getting stronger! :D

I do my own 3 day split, 3 days on and 1 off.
    Day 1: Squats (front and back), and OHP
    Day 2: Bench + bi's/tri's work.
    Day 3: Deadlifts, rows, cleans, + other upper back work.

Seems to be working ok so far :)
  • matteuge
    Options
    there is a powerlifting "group" here

as far as routines, they depend on level, experience and where you are. I will list in order from beginner to experience. The older, or should I say thrashed you are you move further down the list. I am 38, have multiple joint surgeries, tears etc. so I cant do a old school 5x5. Though for a beginner, they are hard to beat.

stronglifts 5x5
    starting stength
    texas method
    madcow
    5 3 1 ( wendler)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between lifting and power lifting? No, seriously.....
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Powerlifting is a sport that is about three major compound lifts: squats, deadlifts and bench press. There are some accessory lifts that people do to help prepare for those three competition lifts.

Just lifting could be anything: body building (which is about size/shape of muscles and isolation movements), Olympic lifting (which is the clean and jerk and the snatch and their supporting lifts), strongman stuff (which encompasses some of the functional training Crossfit* people like as well as really old school lifting - like picking up a rock) or stuff the local bro makes up in his head when he thinks he knows what he's doing but really doesn't (for the record, I've been guilty of that in the past).

*Crossfitters also play with the Oly lifts.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Powerlifting is a sport that is about three major compound lifts: squats, deadlifts and bench press. There are some accessory lifts that people do to help prepare for those three competition lifts.

Just lifting could be anything: body building (which is about size/shape of muscles and isolation movements), Olympic lifting (which is the clean and jerk and the snatch and their supporting lifts), strongman stuff (which encompasses some of the functional training Crossfit* people like as well as really old school lifting - like picking up a rock) or stuff the local bro makes up in his head when he thinks he knows what he's doing but really doesn't (for the record, I've been guilty of that in the past).

Dammn
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Dammn

More complicated than you thought? :glasses: