Running??

Options
124»

Replies

• Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    C25K is the way to go. I am on week 2 and still alive. I am 42, obese, have had knee surgery and am doing this slowly.
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started run in at 315lbs so anyone can start! I only ran for 40 sec intervals then. I am almost 30lbs lighter and running 5 minute intervals now. I had to take 2 months off due to the extreme heat here so I am so very proud of myself. Just downloaded c25k and about to start that! My goal is to run the color run 5k next summer =)
  • mightymouse1998
    Options
    im more of a sprinter i do 100m and 200m . this helps me making my slow twitch muscles become fast twitch muscles
  • mightymouse1998
    Options
    doing slow to medium pace jogs are good for cardiovascular endurance and VO2 max
  • kfdunn
    kfdunn Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome to the cheapest, healthiest addiction in life! - Running.

Two recommendations (based on experience, both mine & fellow runners'):

1. If it HURTS, slow down. Unless you're running from a predator, speed is NOT the main objective. The main objective, especially when beginning this avocation is to AVOID INJURY. Injuries lead to demotivation, $ for medical, time spent NOT running - all bad!

2. Cheap shoes are NOT CHEAP. Go to a reputable store where they will talk with you about your goals, watch you run/walk and put you in several pairs of shoes. Shoes that save $50, but cause your feet to hurt or cause INJURY due to poor fit, insuitability for your gait (whatever) ultimately cost more money when you get injured or lose motivation because it hurts to run.

Run COMFORTABLY. Buy GOOD SHOES.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 80
    Options
    Running has been a wonderful addition to my fitness (mental & physical) regime. I'm very slow, don't run to win races, that's for sure. But over time I have built myself up to run further and longer. I've run four half marathons and am currently training for a 14mile trail race (up a mountain) and this will be my greatest challenge. I used to be extremely self-conscious about being a bigger woman running out in public but have been able to overcome that. Running has given me a lot of confidence. And I swear the mental rewards are even greater than the physical. I do love being able to get such a great workout in a relatively short period of time and without a gym or a dvd. And, it takes me into nature which is also very soothing. I've seen all kinds of critters, share running with my dog and my boyfriend who has been instrumental in helping and supporting me. He's a fast marathoner but loves to run with others, of any ability. I wish you the best and hope you, too will find the gifts of running.
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the asics shoes? I've been doing a lot of research and have read several of their gel models are great for "heavy" runners. I am going to take everyone's advice though and see about finding a place that will properly fit me. I do know that I tend to put more weight on the insides of my feet
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have only had asics gels since I began running. I love mine.
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Hello I was wondering if anyone has had success with running and better eating habits? If so how f what were your results

I couldn't run a quarter mile in June 2010. I average five miles a day now and have gone as far as eight. I could probably do 10 miles, given the time.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Yes...lots of success and a new found love for running. I totally recommend C25K for beginners.

I run around 5 miles a day (5-6 times a week).
    I eat 1200 calories a day PLUS my exercise calories.
    I've lost 30 pounds since the end of January.

And, I'm going to add strength training 3 times a week starting today.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with running - but I use my running for 2 things:
    1) Help create the calorie deficit.
    2) Improve my cardiovascular fitness.
    3) Setting targets to achieve to better myself.

I adjusted my eating habits slowly, over a period of months or so with lots of success:
    1) Stopped drinking beer except for weekends and special occasions.
    2) Replaced my morning and afternoon coffee & cookie run with yogurt and Fibre1 bars, water & fruit.
    3) Plan my evening means out each week, and budget for leftovers for lunch.
    4) Started counting calories so I know exactly what I'm putting into my mouth.

I seen a few people's food diaries that show them basically eating nothing substantial and claiming success. For most people that isn't sustainable in the long run.

I then upped things by understating my exercise (except running) and adding 0.1 to each serving of food. I eat back my exercise calories if I'm hungry (or happen to be eating something that isn't as healthy as possible). For me its about getting a lifestyle that I can manage going forward, and that includes eating less than ideal foods from time to time. For example i have mac and cheese for lunch today. Not great, but still much better than pizza or McDonalds.

Good luck on your journey, anyone fell free to add me!

Mark
  • jupton11
    Options
    When I started a couple of months ago, it was pure torture... Now I love it! It's my favorite form of cardio, and I don't run to lose weight anymore. I run when I'm extremely happy or sad, frustrated, overwhelmed, or when I just need to clear my head.
    Running = therapy.

I have to agree! I call running my "hot therapy." Turn the music on and get in a zone. If you are on a treadmill, don't watch the numbers, just go at your own pace and for as long as you feel you can. You'll be surprised.
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Would strength training be considered 10 minute trainer, 30 day shred those kinds of things? Or if I run with weights is that considered strength training? I want to make sure I'm getting both in. Generally because of my home, work and school life I can't go to a gym so most things I do have been DVDs
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I lost 23pounds by combining running and dieting.

Most of your weight loss starts in the kitchen though.
  • Mandi6278
    Options
    I also have gotten into the C25K program.... and at first it was horrible! I started at the end of June. I could barely make it through the 1 minute runs of the first week.

Rather than push myself to finish the whole program in 9 weeks, I have stayed on each week's intervals until they no longer push me. I did the Week 1 for a week and a half, the Week 2 for about 3 weeks, then flew through Week 3 last week. I just did my first week 4 run today. 6 weeks ago it was inconceivable to me that I could run for more than a minute, but today I managed both 3 minute and 5 minute runs. And let me tell you, when I finished that last interval it took all my self control not to jump up and yell out in joy at the YMCA. They would have thought I was crazy, but that's how I felt. I had no belief that I could really do this- but with each run I make it through, I find myself more and more hopeful that I can transform this body into something I'm proud of. BTW, I've lost 15lbs, too.... Not at first- for the first 3 weeks my weight went up a little as my body started building the muscle I needed to run at all. And I started out at 280 lbs, so I'm bigger than you are anyway!

For the first time in 34 years I look forward to exercising and get frustrated if something keeps me from the gym for a day. I love feeling proud of what I'm doing.... and it's an entirely different outlook from anything I've felt before. Perhaps it's the beginning of the elusive runner's high?

It also feels really good to run my way to the 10K steps on my Fitbit!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last september. I vary between 10-20 miles a week, now that I'm trying to focus more on strength I've had to cut down my time to run.
    Running motivates me to eat better. I run faster and have better endurance when I've eaten good and healthy food. If I try to run the morning after a pizza binge, I feel like crap and feel a deep disappointment in myself. So it helps me lose weight. It's also pretty fabulous cardio, and it's great to go to that happy place mid-run where the world just falls away and there's only you and your run.
    Also, pretty damn spiffy to say "Yeah, I'm a runner."
  • angfin
    angfin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting the battle of the buldge for quite some time and can never stick to anything. I have problems with being consistent. Monday I just started to track my food. I have been running all week. I do not have problems running, I currently run 2.5-3 miles. I am hardly one to give advice but will offer my 2 cents anyway. I will only walk if it has been awhile since I ran. The better I feel then I will start to add little bursts of running and gradually increase the running. As far as diet, I try to follow rules by the Biggest Loser trainer, I think his name is Harper. I can't seem to follow all of them but I try to eat an apple and berries every day, no carbs after lunch (that's hard for me) and just generally follow healthy eating guidelines and drink my water. Emotional eating usually derails me and then I binge on sugar and carbs so I am using the running as a way to relieve stress and prevent binging and also because it offers me more flexibility with counting calories. I use Mapmyrun and music to increase my motivation to run. But heck you don't have to run, walking is great exercise and stress reliever. Wish me luck:) I am sure you will do what is right for you and best of luck to you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!