For weight loss, should I focus on carbs or calories?

Options

Replies

• akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump, to read later!
  • 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    Options
    People on low carb diets tend to eat less due to the fat and protein keeping them fuller longer compared to satiety of carbohydrates.

I go low carb (keto) from time to time or carb cycling to shock the body. No real reason other than to experiment on different approaches to fat loss and muscle gain for my own self study. Whatever I am doing though, I track my calories.

The one thing I have always hated about doing a keto diet though is that if I want to have a cheat day and eat pizza and french fries for one meal, mentally I feel like I blew it totally and it is hard for me to get back on track. Also, it is hard to sustain a lifestyle without carbohydrates from time to time, in my opinion.

In the end though, take in less calories than you take out and you will lose weight.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I think it's whatever will work best for you. It can take some time to figure that out.
    I've done both ways. I spent 6 months following the high-carb ("healthy whole grains!"), restricted-calorie "diet" that the USDA guidelines recommend. I did quite a bit of exercise. (also a lot of reading and research). And I dropped 10lbs - my weight goal of 120lbs since this was my lowest as an adult (main goal was to eat better and get healthy). But I was eating 5-6 times a day. I was constantly hungry. I was weighing and logging foods and counting calories. My entire day seemed to revolve around food. And while I lost weight my body didn't look all that different. I had some really solid muscle but I was all puffed up, had no energy, my IBS was still a mess.
    May of last year I decided to experiment with Primal Blueprint. I cut grains, beans, sugars (already had done this), flours (stopped bread 3 weeks before) and most fruit and dairy. I seriously increased my fat intake. I started eating real, whole foods only.
    I had an immediate positive response. I lost 5" off my natural waistline in 4 weeks. I dropped 7lbs the first six weeks. This was at a healthy weight - supposed to be impossible. This was water and fat (I no longer retain water unless my carbs go up). I have seen 108lbs and prefer to stay between 110lb and 113lbs. I feel amazing and I have a flat belly and nice muscle mass without a ton of exercise. I sleep better. I don't get sleepy during the day. All my digestive problems, sinus problems, anxiety problems, weight problems went away. And it turned out that the RAVENOUS feeling I was getting from oatmeal and fruit was REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA aka prediabetes. I can't fix it but focusing on carbs keeps my blood sugar normal and my weight normal. I maintain (and even fight to keep from losing too much) by getting plenty of fat and protein and keeping a close eye on carbs. (All carbs - if I need glucose I will eat a starchy root or tuber)
    All of this was pure experiment. Think about it. The body uses protein (amino acids) and fat (fatty acids) for growth and repair - not for energy and a calorie is a unit of energy ONLY. Can we count that protein and fat toward energy intake? It's not being stored or used as energy. And I'm sorry but my body doesn't incinerate food (they figure calories by burning food - lighting it on fire and see how much energy it puts off as it burns). The body processes what we eat and applies it to what we need at that time. Okay, now I'm rambling.

This is my N=1. Maybe start with calories at first but keep an eye on the carbs you eat. At least the quality of carbs. But eat real, whole foods first and foremost (low-carb and sugar-free processed pseudofood is still processed pseudofood). Overweight or obesity means your metabolism is screwed up (our weight should be maintained by hormones. But you screw with one - say insulin or leptin or cortisol - you affect them all). Check out Mark's Daily Apple or gnolls.org. What I do is follow a Primal/Paleo template also known as Functional paleo. I think this is the best way to learn your N=1.

Good luck.

What's really interesting is when my weight drops below 110lb my appetite kicks in and start vaccuuming up food until it hits around 112-113 then it tapers off. And exercise only makes me want to eat.
  • Kazenouta
    Options
    This is kind of complicated as it depends on what activities you're doing for exercise. A runner, for example, has a higher need of carbohydrates for good performance and recovery than say a body builder where protein amount is more important. However, with that being said there is also the type of carbohydrate to consider. Nutritionists are now saying that refined carbohydrates such as white pasta are as bad for your body per serving as a piece of cake. On the other hand your whole-wheat, low-to-non refined carbohydrates take longer to burn (therefore leaving you fuller for longer) and don't elicit the blood sugar response of their overly processed cousins. In my case as a runner I watch calories and fat intake but also watch the type of carbohydrates I'm consuming. I really only opt for the simple carbs when on a long wrong and in need of a boost. (gummy bears, gels, etc. are great for this)

Really what I'm trying to say is that you need to experiment and find what works best for you based on exercise, goals, etc.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Mananging calories is first priority. Managing all your macro nutrients is your 2nd. But that said, they do go hand in hand.
  • mmapags
    Options

-oh and note, sugar is fine (carbohydrates essentially) but more than 50 grams in the liver at a time and anything over that tends to be partitioned straight to fat.

If this is true, how do glycogen stores get replenished after a workout? And does out metabolism utilize and burn carbs during regular daily activity? And during exercise?
  • conradhughes
    conradhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options

...It's horrible to say, but the only way you can lose weight is by burning more calories than you eat. Oh- and if you do go low carb, you'll drop between 5 and 15 pounds of water in a week for various reasons which *will* mostly go back on when you go back to regular carb.

Good advice..

I agree with this.

Thanks chap/chapess.

Skip to the bottom if you're interested in a general adaptable nutrition plan, here's a little bit on why some things work for some people and some don't for others.

//
    And to the people talking about meal frequency, I do a 14-20 hour fast every day depending on what engagements/priorities/how much protein I ate the night before to have a nice long period of low insulin in order to basically burn more fat. It would burn more muscle but as the protein from whole foods, dairy and meat is digested at anything between 2 (casein) - 10 or so (whey etc) grams per hour, you tend to prevent muscle loss. If you are doing this and training, have some BCAAs about half an hour before you start. 10 grams is 40 cals and won't shoot insulin up too much.

I basically work somewhere between Martin Berkgjskfjskje and Lyle MacDonald. I don't like meal frequencies being high because I like to go big on meals.

But back to the original question - what's really important is that you work out what feels good for you. I happened to read stuff that said 'eat lots of protein and fast for a while every day' essentially, and that's what feels good for me. I realised after 3 weeks in and out of ketosis (the state at which the brain uses more ketones than glucose for fuel) that ketosis didn't feel good and I didn't have a lot of energy. So I push myself to have between 130 and 170 grams of carb a day (at maintenance to 20% caloric deficit levels), because it basically makes me feel better. But I don't want to feel sluggish, so I go for low GI carbs in order to prevent a massive rush of blood sugar- note insulin spikes aren't a big deal and are completely natural -and then the subsequent crash.

Think about how you feel after you eat carbohydrates. Imagine you eat a whole bunch of white bread (very high GI food- it increases blood sugar a lot). Shortly after, do you feel sluggish? This would suggest you oversecrete insulin. If you feel sluggish on generally high (say 3-400 grams carb a day) carbohydrate diets then you probably are fairly resistant to insulin. If either, this would suggest your body could use some time in ketosis to take a break from overproducing insulin and try some methods to reduce your insulin resistance (there are many ways to do this but generally eating healthier and eating whole foods and low GI foods will help over time, dairy also helps).

But if you don't feel good on low carb diets, then don't do one.
    //

I would personally start here:

0.6-1 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass per day (at 209 lbs total mass I end up eating roughly 140-160 grams of protein a day) depending on activity levels and budget (protein is expensive although making your own cottage cheese is pretty easy)

Medium carb and medium fat. Say 100-150 grams of carb and 50-100 grams of fat.

This will give you between 400 and 600 calories of carb and between 450 and 900 calories of fat, respectively. Add that to your, well, 400-600ish calories of protein a day and you get somewhere between 1250 and 2100 calories a day.

Adapt that to your own resting metabolic rate. This is essentially 12 cal/lb of body weight per day, give or take one or two, but 12 is a safe guideline. Then work it out so that for the week you're down anywhere between 3500 cal and 7000 cal. This will, eventually, even out so that you lose 1-2 lbs of (hopefully) mostly fat a week, ignoring water weight losses.

Hope this helps someone.
  • conradhughes
    conradhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options

-oh and note, sugar is fine (carbohydrates essentially) but more than 50 grams in the liver at a time and anything over that tends to be partitioned straight to fat.

If this is true, how do glycogen stores get replenished after a workout? And does out metabolism utilize and burn carbs during regular daily activity? And during exercise?

Sugar specifically, sorry, pretty tired- I should have said something along the lines of, eating around 50 grams of sucrose/fructose/glucose in one solid go (a whole bar of chocolate, pounding full sugar fizzy drinks etc) can overload the liver to the point where it says, sod you carbohydrate, you're being fat now, I can't be bothered to partition you.

The skeletal muscle system will typically hold between 250 and 400 grams of muscle glycogen. Note that this carries water as well, so it's not just carb (long chain starch = glycogen for those unfamiliar). The liver will hold between 50 and 100 grams of glycogen. Hence filling the liver with sugar means that it is partitioned off into fat.

I'm not 100% sure on the following comparison but here goes: you could compare this to the way that alcohol gets dietary priority over other foods. So the liver says 'sod you, alcohol, you'd best get out of here sharpish' and the carbs and fat are quickly put into fat stores/ignored in favour of the alcohol (which means carbs and fat go in to fat stores). If the liver is unable to deal with a given nutrient, therefore, it stands to reason that it will store it as fat. Protein is slightly different and takes a longer time to digest than glucose/fat (TEF of protein is around 20-30% where fat is around 2-4%) and starch takes a longer time to digest.

-edit: If you have no glycogen at all in your muscles, your liver will say 'fine sugar, get in muscle glycogen pronto, we need you!' and partition up to double the amount your muscles will normally take, say up to 500-800g of carb instead. This is where the carb loading comes from... but you have to trick your body into it over the period of a couple of days of low carb and all round training.

The way I see the body is like a stupid, easily tricked child.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    From a pure weight loss stand point it is calories in vs. calories out. Caloric deficit leads to weight loss.
  • mmapags
    Options

Sugar specifically, sorry, pretty tired- I should have said something along the lines of, eating around 50 grams of sucrose/fructose/glucose in one solid go (a whole bar of chocolate, pounding full sugar fizzy drinks etc) can overload the liver to the point where it says, sod you carbohydrate, you're being fat now, I can't be bothered to partition you.

The skeletal muscle system will typically hold between 250 and 400 grams of muscle glycogen. Note that this carries water as well, so it's not just carb (long chain starch = glycogen for those unfamiliar). The liver will hold between 50 and 100 grams of glycogen. Hence filling the liver with sugar means that it is partitioned off into fat.

I'm not 100% sure on the following comparison but here goes: you could compare this to the way that alcohol gets dietary priority over other foods. So the liver says 'sod you, alcohol, you'd best get out of here sharpish' and the carbs and fat are quickly put into fat stores/ignored in favour of the alcohol (which means carbs and fat go in to fat stores). If the liver is unable to deal with a given nutrient, therefore, it stands to reason that it will store it as fat. Protein is slightly different and takes a longer time to digest than glucose/fat (TEF of protein is around 20-30% where fat is around 2-4%) and starch takes a longer time to digest.

-edit: If you have no glycogen at all in your muscles, your liver will say 'fine sugar, get in muscle glycogen pronto, we need you!' and partition up to double the amount your muscles will normally take, say up to 500-800g of carb instead. This is where the carb loading comes from... but you have to trick your body into it over the period of a couple of days of low carb and all round training.

The way I see the body is like a stupid, easily tricked child.

I see what you meant. Now would those calories partitioned to fat get utilized as energy during the valley periods between the intake of nutrition if one is in an overall calorie deficit? Also, is partitioning to muscle glycogen something that occurs only when completely depleted or is it an ongoing process with glycogen being expended through activity and getting replaced "on the fly" so to speak?
  • KateAdams1993
    Options
    I'll just throw in my 2 cents, i've payed no attention to carbs, i still eat white bread, baked potatos and all that, i've only payed attention to calories and i've lots 10kg, now. I guess though, it would be both in moderation. Like you don't want to not focus on one. But it's up to you, i know calories works so i'd say calories.
  • mckellis
    mckellis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm reading all of your posts and I'm soooo discouraged (and kind-of confused, too). I am having a heck of a time losing any weight at all and I don't know what else I can do. I am eating right around my daily allowance of 1200 cals per day (feel free to check out my daily food logs) and I cannot lose. I am wraping up my 5th week of approx. 1200 cals/day and exercising 4x a week (interval training or 4.0+ mph walking speed) and I'm up .5 pounds so far this week. I'm NOT cheating!! I'm a control freak, very detail oriented with my diet plan (I measure and write down EVERYTHING) and cannot drop weight. When I'm not working out, I'm pretty sedentary and 50# overweight (5'5" and 188 lbs) and have never had much of a metabolism. Ever. Doc checked my thyroid about a year ago and it's fine, and my health is good. Can anyone help with some ideas of what I may be doing wrong--? Should I see a dietician or something?
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some are more sensitive to carbs than others. You need to make sure you do eat enough carbs for energy and exercise. May have to see what works for you or a combination of both.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do both. I watch my carb intake while making sure I'm at/slightly under calories. Calories are energy in vs. energy out - you won't lose weight with low carb but high calorie. Even the Atkins plan now reduces the calories.

Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I watch calories first and make certain I'm eating less than I burn. I like carbs and eat a lot (250ish) daily. I didn't like who I was when I did lower my carb intake, not quite as low as a true low carb diet, but damned low for me.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb... first started atkins induction and lost nothing ... zero... that landed me here where I've been doing 1200 cals a day at low carb....and I am losing...slow and steady.but I don't think any faster than if I were eating complex carbs. I am thinking about just eating overall healthy and sticking to my calories. I don't think for me low carb mattered.

^ This
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I would do both!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs to thrive... There is no reason to avoid them like the plague... They fuel your brain and they're the easiest for your body to break down into useable energy...

What you need to focus on is a healthful, balanced diet. Watching your calories is key for weight loss, but properly fueling your body to do so is just as important. You need more carbs when doing cardio and more protein when doing weights. On average, you should aim for 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs.

It doesnt really matter what you eat, but temember that calories are not created equal. There are so many sites on the net that discuss this: Check this out::::: http://www.nasm.org/hfpnpreview/article.aspx?id=3443

If you burn more calories then you consume then you will lose weight. But it is a good idea to balance your calories between carbs protein and fat to get proper nutrition.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say both. Monitor your calories while watching the carbs. I LOVE carbs but really want to cut them at least in half! There are SO many healthy replacements out there. Cauliflower and Squash I am finding to be my favorite. Me and my friend (she is doing Atkins, while I am focusing on Calories) and we have made pizza crust, spaghetti, almost carb free lasagna, chips!!

There is a difference between low-carb and no carb.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This has been very helpful
    Thank you