Men or ladies that have gone from fat to abs..GET IN HERE!

Options
Just looking for some motivation and support, i need to know how long getting abs takes. So after you ladies and gents lost the majority of your fat how long did it take to shake the last bit of fat over the abs?....I weight train at the gym 5 times a week and cardio 3-4 times a week and the lbs are still coming off it just seems im not making any progress in the ab area. I realize its probably im just to impatient because i know i am lol but what would be a general time frame roughly like 5 or 6 months or.
I have some shaping in the ab area just not near as defined as id like it seems like thats the only place im really holding on to some fat still.

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Curious to know too.
  • Kazenouta
    Options
    I had the misfortune of reading an article recently in a running magazine I frequent that talked about the fact that the washboard ab, the crease, six-packs, etc. have a lot to do with genetics. You can get plenty in shape but may never see the long sought after washboard ab. Depressing :-( However, it also has to do with body fat percentage. To get them you need to be at least 8%-14%. So, if we're lucky enough to have genetics on our side and are in amazing shape they'll pop out on their own!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

I've spent years convinced I couldn't get nice abs and have never made a dent in my abs area. I tried a type of HIIT and the body fat is actually coming off my tummy area in just a week. I would never get that in a gym working out on a machine, although I wish I had some heavy equipment at home.. :-)
  • chelle8191
    Options
    I too would like to know this :)
  • Kazenouta
    Options
    I just want to point out that your body burns fat from wherever it wants. You can do 500 crunches a day and have very strong muscles sitting underneath a layer of fat because your body is choosing to eat fat from your rump or wherever first. It's frustrating but, part of getting the abs (just from what I'm told-I don't have them myself) is great overall fitness
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yep i know doing core work wont reduce fat in that area however i do ab workouts because im conditioning my entire body to get a good lean body mass. Im assuming i just need to keep working and waiting....right now im trying to find my maintance level since hitting the gym 5 times a week has blown my calories a day outa the water 2500 is no where near enough as im losing 3lbs a week so im working on bumping my food up greatly until maintance is found and eat at it for a while and see if that helps
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should have went on to say that in HIIT type of stuff, you are spending most time doing the cardio aspect and working other muscles like arms, legs and less time on abs.

I think where one puts on weight has a lot to do with genetics but its up to the individual to feed their bodies well IMO.. if we all had good eating and exercise habits from childhood to adulthood, the majority of us wouldn't be trying to figure out how to get rid of belly fat. You just have to keep doing what you are doing.. if you experience a plateau or before that even happens, figure out what you can do to make your body do what you want. Just like savageman69 has suggested he will try.

I used to think similarly because I've always had this stubborn lower bulge and it never went away. It seems to happen after I put on weight during pregnancy. It was frustrating.. Now I'm optimistic because all the gyms I've gone to and wasted time not getting the results I** wanted and now finally there is something going on! I have used HIIT types of workouts after I had my first child and that seemed to really work well for me for cutting fat and getting abs