Does anyone NOT workout and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• DJDeMo_Oo
    Options
    I lost 50lbs. 2 years ago and have kept it off by keeping well under my required calorie intake, and no exercise. Now that I'm at the weight I want to be, I eat as many calories as my height/weight allows without gaining any weight. What I did was find foods that were extremely filling, and very low calories. I ate a lot of salads and tuna. However, this isn't a very healthy way to go.
  • cjeanthiele
    Options
    Yes, I've lost 9 pounds since June 1st, and I'm sedentary. Working out might make you lose faster, and would definitely tone you up better, but I've seen a study that says you can lose weight equally well either way (but the weight is more likely to stay off if you exercise).
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I haven't started exercising yet, so yes you can, but I will want to firm/tone up and try to avoid saggy skin, so it is in the plan, just not right now.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to do much excersie due to injury.
    I try to do tabel pushups every morning while i cook breakfast and thats about it.
    So far i've lost 6kg, which isn't much but its better than gaining

I do hope to get back to excersising in a few months, but i'll be starting from scratch
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The majority of my weight was lost without exercise but I don't recommend it. Eventually you'll hit a plateau. You're a lot less likely to have excess skin or end up "skinny fat" if you work out from the beginning. I've started now but I wish I had started from day one.
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    80% diet 20% exercise. So eat CLEAN, by clean I mean, not just under your goal, but all healthy foods. You can do it if ya want.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    After I had my daughter (first child), I lost all of my baby weight and even eventually weighed less than I did before I got pregnant with her and I can tell you right now, I did absolutely NO exercise back then. I wasn't even trying to lose weight... I'm pretty sure it was the fact that we were broke and hardly had any food at all for a long time which is why I lost the weight. That HAS to be it. lol So yeah it's possible.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I exercise, but when I started off losing the weight, I exercised much less than I do now (as in next to never). I think you can lose the weight without the exercise, as MFP is set for that, but it helps to tone and firm you when you exercise.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You guys are great! Definitely makes me feel better about having a couple "bad" weeks. My man and I want to join a martial arts class...so we'll be doing SOMETHING ;)
  • mike2104
    Options
    Yeah , i'v lost 55 lbs Since 1st Feb , I work in a office 6 days a week so don't get time to work out , Stick to 2000 calories , but low fat diet and it seems to be working fine.
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Right now I sprained my Ankle...So I am a little slower then usual:laugh: and have lowered my Calories a little more which really you should not do all the time:heart: best bet workout and eating right at the same time works for me..:heart: Usually...I do Tai chi when I dont have time..."Friends are always welcome aboard as usuall.":drinker:
  • JensQi
    Options
    Yeah , i'v lost 55 lbs Since 1st Feb , I work in a office 6 days a week so don't get time to work out , Stick to 2000 calories , but low fat diet and it seems to be working fine.
    Great Comment:smile:
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I feel like I lose better (faster and easier) when I don't work out. But I feel better when I exercise, plus I like getting toned, so it's a catch 22 for me!

I'm the same way. I dont lose as fast when I work out..yet I feel great!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have said this before but it's true that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. As long as your calories in are less than your calories out you will lose weight.

At one point I sprained my ankle and couldn't workout for 2 weeks. I still managed to lose the same amount those two weeks without exercise because I stuck to my diet.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could do it -- lose weight without exercising. Thank God I found MFP, it's allowed me to do it while dealing with a lower back injury. All you have to do is hit your calorie number or lower every day, and you'll lose weight.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    A bit of walking and some push-ups when I feel like it is about typical for me, if this constitutes a "workout".

Happy with progress and actually looking to increase food intake.
  • JensQi
    Options
    You guys are great! Definitely makes me feel better about having a couple "bad" weeks. My man and I want to join a martial arts class...so we'll be doing SOMETHING ;)
    I love my Tai Chi it does not take much time to learn:smile: .Id love to learn Martial Arts more..
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs before thinking about exercise, I'm 64 and haven't ever exercised before. Am walking now, building up my speed and distance so that I can maintain a weight loss of 2 lbs a week, slowly does it at my age!!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've lost the 22 pounds so far without exercise, but I think it's going to be necessary for me to reach the rest of my goal.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs before thinking about exercise, I'm 64 and haven't ever exercised before. Am walking now, building up my speed and distance so that I can maintain a weight loss of 2 lbs a week, slowly does it at my age!!

You don't look 64 ;)