Help. Girls only type of question...

Options
So I've joined the gym July 26 and I've been exercising a bit more than that. Last month I got my period about 4 days early and now I have gotten it more than a week early? I'm not sexually active. My mom says that the exercise is doing it. Any connections here? I would like to get some help. I'm curious to know if I should go see a doctor.

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    How far apart are you cycles?

I know that I rarely ovulate (I've got fertility issues) and when I was at my heaviest (191lbs) I really rarely ovulated, so my cycle was really long, about 45-50 days.

As I lost weight (before having my son, I got down to 125 lbs) my cycles became more regular. I didn't ovulate all the time, but it did more often.

That made some of my cycles shorter.

Could this be your issue. I think the excess weight made my non ovulating issue worse.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    How far apart are you cycles?

I know that I rarely ovulate (I've got fertility issues) and when I was at my heaviest (191lbs) I really rarely ovulated, so my cycle was really long, about 45-50 days.

As I lost weight (before having my son, I got down to 125 lbs) my cycles became more regular. I didn't ovulate all the time, but it did more often.

That made some of my cycles shorter.

Could this be your issue. I think the excess weight made my non ovulating issue worse.

Same here. I was 290 and when I dropped to 190 there was a big difference in my cycles.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    4 days or a week early might mean your exercise is throwing you off if you cycle is normal, or it might mean it has put you on track if your cycle is somewhat longer. I would say that you should consult a doctor. I can see from your ticker that you have a lot of weight to lose, so it wouldn't hurt to do so under the supervision of a physician to whom you can ask questions such as this.
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Working out does effect your cycles. It does it to me. When I stop working it its almost like my body completely changes but when I do work out it fluctuates. Doesnt hurt to get checked to make sure your workout isnt to much for your body but if its not causing you pain or effcting you badly then its not an emergency
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Workouts deffo mess my cycle up. I also have fertility issues though so that may be part of it as well. How often do you work out?
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could call the nurse in your doctor's office and he or she could tell you if you should watch for any symptoms, come in or wait until it normalizes on it's own once your body is accustomed to the workouts.

My cycles have been spastic for the past year and a half. My dr changed my pills because I wanted to try the low estrogen type and we've been gradually upping it every 4 months, it seems. I've been cycling twice a month. I'm hoping that working out helps to normalize me. My pre-pill, pre-pregnancy cycle was a steady 21 days. I hated it, but 14 days is total hell. Sometimes it sucks to be a chick. :grumble:
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Changes is weight, activity and stress can all throw your cycle off; that's totally normal. I'd call your GYN and ask if there are any warning signs you should be looking out for -- or if it's about time for your annual exam, go in person.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Working out does effect your cycles. It does it to me. When I stop working it its almost like my body completely changes but when I do work out it fluctuates. Doesnt hurt to get checked to make sure your workout isnt to much for your body but if its not causing you pain or effcting you badly then its not an emergency

^^ This
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine started arriving early every month, every three weeks instead of once a month, and lasting way too long, so I'm back on hormonal birth control (depo).
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Working out hard (and a new diet) effects your whole body, metabolism, so your hormonal system as well. My period became more regular.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fat stores hormones. When you burn fat at a faster rate than what was "normal" for you, it releases the hormones. This effects your cycle and sometimes the period itself. Keep track of the changes. Things should normalize after a bit, but I wouldnt go into panic mode too soon. Hope this helps ya.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I guess it is possible, but it's not something I have ever experienced--unlike a lot of the women who have responded I do not have fertility problems (at least not that I am aware of) and typically have very regular cycles, with or without exercise. I agree with everyone who says this is something you should talk to a doctor about, to see if there are any warning signs you should watch out for, but I certainty wouldn't see it as a reason to stop exercising.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Changes is weight, activity and stress can all throw your cycle off; that's totally normal. I'd call your GYN and ask if there are any warning signs you should be looking out for -- or if it's about time for your annual exam, go in person.

Yep, its nothing to be terribly concerned about. Whenever you make a drastic change IE: working out, weight loss, stress... etc it can affect the hormones in your body.

When you begin a new workout routine it is very, very, very common for your cycle to be out of whack for awhile. Some women even stop getting their periods for awhile. It is natural, typically your body is just sensing the change, and needs some time to adjust to it. Working out is stress that your body isn't used to, so It doesn't know how to react yet.

Call your DRs office if you are really worried, but personally I think it is fine (so long as you don't have other medical conditions that need to be checked) just give it a few months and it should level out.
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fat stores hormones. When you burn fat at a faster rate than what was "normal" for you, it releases the hormones. This effects your cycle and sometimes the period itself. Keep track of the changes. Things should normalize after a bit, but I wouldnt go into panic mode too soon. Hope this helps ya.

^This. I'm a RN in women's health, we see this a lot. Definitely check with your doctor if you have any concerns. Good luck!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control so I am pretty regular. But I have noticed that it started about 12 hours earlier each month so now it's a whole day earlier than it used to be. More like when I was in my teens and carrying less weight. Huh, go figure.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    mine was a week late, and shorter this month, I was exercising pretty heavy n put it to that, I'm not too concerned about it as mine has fluctuated before, but if you are.. no harm in getting checked out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm on Birth control and mine has been like clock work for as long as I remember.. but now since I exercise/lost weight, it's a lot lighter and sometimes non-existant.

Since I'm not sexually active and my doctor has said I'm fine, I don't worry much about it.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about it either, does it to us all, mine is now a week earlier than ususal, but if you want to make sure-go see your doctor, no harm done, that way you rest assured :flowerforyou:
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think the exercise is certainly whats factoring in here.
    I played volleyball all through highschool, which meant we were working out twice a day on a daily basis. I remember not getting my period but every 2 or 3 months or so.
    Trust me, it does not take much for your body to change its cycle!
    even low amounts of emotional or physical stress can do it!
    If you really want your cycle to be regualr I would recommend getting on birth control.