Fruits

Options
Why is it fruits have so many carbs and sugar? It's ridiculous. I'm constantly over everyday because of fruit. Is it just me or is this everybody? And is it acceptable to be over in those since the source is fruit? Help!

Replies

• abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANY OF THAT BUT I DID READ SOMEWHERE THAT WHEN TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT YOU SHOULDNT EAT MORE THAN A CUP AND A HALF PER DAY, SO THATS WHAT I STICK WITH, BECAUSE FRUIT DOES HAVE ALOT OF SUGAR AND SUGAR TURNS INTO FAT...REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT COMES FROM. DOES THAT HELP??
  • ajrjaneway
    ajrjaneway Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good question! I had to cut way back on how many fruits I was eating after I started with MFP. I was reading up on sugar yesterday and doctors are more concerned about _added_ sugar, so they want us to cut out things that have added sugar, like soda pop. But still, fruits have a lot of sugar. Personally, I've been delighted to discover that strawberries are the least expensive in that regard. I'm just trying to learn to enjoy veggies and meat more -- I don't really like meat very much.

I don't know if that helps, but I know what you mean and I struggle with it too. I like my fruits, especially bananas. And now that I'm eating less fruit, I don't get all the carbs that are "recommended" in MFP. It's tricky to get the right balance. Good luck and I'm cheering for you! :flowerforyou:
  • nikki_1123
    Options
    Bump. I have the same problem :(
    I loveeeee fruit!
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANY OF THAT BUT I DID READ SOMEWHERE THAT WHEN TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT YOU SHOULDNT EAT MORE THAN A CUP AND A HALF PER DAY, SO THATS WHAT I STICK WITH, BECAUSE FRUIT DOES HAVE ALOT OF SUGAR AND SUGAR TURNS INTO FAT...REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT COMES FROM. DOES THAT HELP??

No yelling on the forums.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue eating bananas every day. I'd have like two all the time, one with breakfast and one as a snack. I'm trying to be careful of my sugar as well, but as long as I don't go over calories (for now) I'm okay with going over the other things I track. As long as it's not TOO much over. I've been eating more citrus fruit though, not just bananas or apples. I'm big into grapefruit now, and I just get the little cups that Dole has, that way I don't eat too much =)
  • kattipoo93
    Options
    bump!!!!

I've been loving me some fruit :D probably too much haha
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing! Right now fruit smoothies are working for me. Losing weight and feeling great! If that stops I might change things...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I do decent with fruits and I usually eat 2-3 fruits a day
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    because every cell in your body runs on glucose. fruit is natural and essential.. people are brainwashed into believing that ALL carbs and sugars are bad. fruit is healing and nutritious and should play a prominent role in the basic human diet
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    While fruit is in season and delicious ... I will eat it to my hearts desire (within my calories for the day). The rest of the year, I cut back.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Fruits are high in sugar and carbs because of their natural sweetness. Yes, it's okay to eat them, though it is mostly recommended to have no more than two servings. (I assume because of the high sugar.) However, fruit is natural, and carbs are not the devil. If you want to have your fruit and eat it too, try berries or plums. They are lower in sugar and carbs than other fruits (like apples and bananas). I believe MFP's preset sugar goal is so low because it is for -added- sugar, and there's no way to separate added sugar from inherent sugar on this database. You can manually up your sugar goal to allow for higher fruit consumption.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the carbs and sugars in fruits...we are supposed to be staying away from refined carbs and sugars, not naturally occuring fructose in fruits. I eat a banana every day faithfully, I often throw mango chunks in my Shakeology and there is tons of fruit in my Shakeology (strawberries, blueberries, acai berries, papaya, banana to name a few). The only reason why I used dextrose in my workout recovery shake rather than fruit is I need fast acting carbs without fiber slowing down their absorption for muscle recovery. Don't buy into the myths. Fruit is nature's candy and you're much better off eating fruit that some "low carb" pumped full of artificial flavor and artificial sweeteners "diet bar" crap that's out there b/c you're thinking ALL carbs are the enemy...
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm a 54 year old diabetic who eats about 60-70% of my calories from fruit and vegetables, and I've lost 47 pounds in 71 days.
    Rarely does my blood sugar get too high. I used to be an insulin dependent diabetic for 2 years, and I cut out eating animal products and within 30 days I no longer needed insulin...
  • jnaty
    jnaty Posts: 9
    Options
    thats is great keep t up
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I recently revamped my WHOLE diary again,......I am a fruitaholic and a veggieaholic. We think because it's fruits and veggies it's "good for you". Yes it's EXCELLENT for you, but like ANYTHING in life, only in MODERATION. I have come to the conclusion, that even my veggies, along with everything else I put into my mouth, are measured and weighed!!! I will NEVER rely on my eyes because my eyes are ALWAYS bigger than my stomach, even at my skinniest and lightest. I try not to exceed more than 28grams of sugar a day.....veggies alone can be high in sugar. The recommended serving for Veggies is 3 servings a day and Fruits 2 servings a day. Try and stick with the green, leafy veggies, and beans are an excellent source of iron and protein. Also, berries such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are the BEST for you in terms of lower sugar intake. I don't necessarily buy the fresh ones....even the fresh frozen kind are great...mix it with either cottage cheese or greek yogurt, and it's fabulous!

I relied too much on fruits and veggies to fill me up. I, up until recently would eat 1 head romaine lettuce, 1 bell pepper, 2 plump tomatoes, 1/3 red cabbage, 1 TBSP chia seeds, 1 tsp EVOO, 4 TBSP white balsamic vinegar. I would have this with whatever meat, PLUS regular veggies that were made. I would THEN eat an apple with cinnamon, a banana and grapes. That was A LOT of food! What I'm trying to say is that fruits and veggies have sugars....ALL SUGARS turn into fat....NO MATTER where the sugars come from. So we must be aware of this.....Just because fresh produce is "God's" candy to us, doesn't mean we can over indulge in it.

I am currently working on retraining my body to not to want to feel that "full sensation" that carbs give us. I need to re-learn what is a satisfied feeling. Moderation is key.......

The secret to a successful diet is protein. You're fuller faster and longer. Water water water!!! At least 12 - 14 8oz glasses a day!!! It will indeed fill you up!

This takes time to master, and like I say to everyone, this is a journey not a race. Keep readjusting your meal plans until you have reached your happy medium! Good luck in your endeavors!! :) Oh, and feel free to add me as a friend!! And take a peek at my diary so you can see what I eat on a daily basis!! :)
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Because fruit is sweet. Sweetness comes with the cost of the carbohydrate sugar. And because life is cruel.
    Hahahahaha, true!!!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The function of fruit is to re-seed the plant. Seeds need fuel and they need to be surrounded by yummy good stuff so birds will eat them and poop them all over the earth.

I don't track sugar.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a 54 year old diabetic who eats about 60-70% of my calories from fruit and vegetables, and I've lost 47 pounds in 71 days.
    Rarely does my blood sugar get too high. I used to be an insulin dependent diabetic for 2 years, and I cut out eating animal products and within 30 days I no longer needed insulin...

AMEN!! raw fruits n veggies is key to health
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't bother tracking sugar, either.