why is it

Options
That when you get emotional (like when having a big fight with your spouse or s.o :grumble: ) the FIRST thing you want to do is pig out???

Replies

• sld63
    sld63 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ha! I know what you mean...I'd catch myself eating and think "now, just WHY am I eating this?"...

now, instead of heading for the food, I find something to clean. I mean really, deep down scrub clean. Seems to be working for me so far. (but I've not cleaned the fridge yet! lol:laugh: that might not work so well!)

Sherri
  • girlpersons
    Options
    Sherri,
    I did the same thing the other day. I was not mad at my spouse, but frustrated with a situation at work. I came home fuming mad. I would normally eat. My husband loved the sparkling clean bathroom. He suggested he piss me off some more and i could head out to the garage.lol! I must say though, it kept me out of the cupboard.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    that is a wonderful Idea clean instead of eating. But my hubby would say the same thing. Man I need to piss you off more. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sld63
    sld63 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    that is a wonderful Idea clean instead of eating. But my hubby would say the same thing. Man I need to piss you off more. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lol, yea, he's figured it out too... and I've heard all the "make you mad enough to clean the garage and my truck" lines. I just chuckle cos I know I can control what I clean a lot better than what I would have been eating....
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I think it's some subliminal idea, like, "if I shove food in my mouth, I won't have an outburst and say something I'll regret."

I've taught myself to do other things that are still food-related, like cleaning out the fridge or making a big pot of bouillabaisse. Anything labor intensive or time consuming, but with a nice pay-off at the end. And it often breaks the tension when he has to say, "this soup is really great." :blushing:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    That when you get emotional (like when having a big fight with your spouse or s.o :grumble: ) the FIRST thing you want to do is pig out???

When I get upset, my appetite is the first thing to go.
  • sweeti6919
    Options
    I would do the same thing, but i told myself to go work out instead. Use my anger and fustration and worked out till i was tired and didnt care anymore.lol
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    There is this book by Roger Gould called "Shrink Yourself: Break Free from emotional eating forever!" that I am reading that goes into detail why so many of us are emotional eaters and what to do about it. Pretty much food helps people to kind of forget about what is making them upset for the time being. What you have to do is find something else to do other than eat or deal with those emotions rather than suppress them with food. It is the same with any addiction, food, smoking...

I have been dealing with my emotional eating and it isn't easy to ignore sometimes. You just need to work through it and realize that food won't help solve the problem even if that food is tasty.
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks for the support all... I really appreciate the ideas too! My first instinct when you say clean though is to say:

"why the heck would I do something that would greatly benefit the person I'm fighting with"

:laugh: but you are right, that is definitely about 1000% better than pigging out.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hey, instead use that negative energy and workout!! That way you are only benefitting yourself and working toward a hot bod!