Overeaters Anonymous Fellowship on MFP

Options
Azadi
Azadi Posts: 25 Member
Hi, my name is (not really) Azadi and I am a recovering bulimic.

When I first found this site, I immediately searched the words "Overeaters Anonymous," "Bulimia Recovery," and "Eating Disorder." Unfortunately, I didn't so easily find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd make a proposal.

See, I am just now entering a phase of my recovery in which I am starting to track my food. Until now it was enough if I was sure to eat three meals every day, not binge, not purge, and not kill anyone. Now I'm starting to look at portions and caloric intake. This is a somewhat dangerous area for me, because my disease is largely one of obsession: keeping track can easily lead to obsessive restricting and starving which leads back to bingeing and then leads to purging.

I never want to go down that road again.

I have been attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings for almost 7 months now. I have a wonderful fellowship in my city, a great sponsor, and am getting amazing results as far as my emotional and mental health and attitude are concerned. I would like it very much if I had a similarly supportive fellowship here of similarly-minded individuals.

So here's the deal... I'd like to network with, and perhaps maintain a group/community of, people who:

Are, or are thinking about, using the 12-steps as a tool for dealing with their food-behaviors
Are amenable to the idea of not calling this "a diet"-- OA is not about dieting
Understand their food-behaviors as a disease, be it binge eating, anorexia, bulimia, food addiction, or EDNOS
Are not put off by the idea of a spiritual (but not necessarily religious) approach to recovery

I think it would possibly be beneficial to a lot of us to be able to share here using the tools of recovery as we understand them in 12-step. So, is anyone interested?

Replies

• ohhellokitty
    Options
    Count me in!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I have not been in your shoes, but would like to commend you for your openess and for your ongoing recovery. I have been in a 12 step program before...every tuesday actually as a supporter of a dear friend on another issue. I don't know if all 12 steps are the same in your program, but understanding that we can't do it alone and that we need God to help us is something that really has stood out to me. Anyways add me as a friend if you would like. I promise to lend all the support I can:wink:
  • jess42
    jess42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Although I am not in OA, many of the people closest to me are, and I really understand where you're coming from here-- I too tend to obsessive behaviors and have had to draw strict lines around tracking for myself. While I don't personally have food behaviors that I consider to be a disorder, I consider myself an ally and am always willing to be a sounding board and bring some sanity to counteract the "dieting" culture. I also hope (actually, from what you posted, I'm sure you are) you're talking to your sponsor/group about using the site, so that you have some advice around drawing reasonable boundaries for yourself and not letting this be a gateway back into obsessive eating behavior.

I really appreciate your openness, and I wish you all the best in continuing a healthy recovery.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have thought about using the 12 steps ...so count me in. I would love to hear what you have learned!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I did the same things when I first joined. There really is not many who write about these subjects.

sparkpeople.com has a few overeaters group. Seems like the people there are very nice.

3fatchicks has a forum related to chicks in control, with a subforum for OA. Have talked to a few people there, very nice and helpful. We have been talking about an online f2f meeting through video chat for those of us who live in remote areas or just cannot get to meetings.

oa12step4coes.org is the place I go for online meetings and support. They have a email loop to connect with others.

For those of you in the program, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mellymackey
    Options
    Hi all. Add me to your lists. It will be nice to have some OA support here. I found this by typing Overeaters Anonymous like the original poster. :)
  • perktms
    perktms Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I joined OA in January and it has been life altering for me.
    I'd love to have and offer support on this site!
    Thanks for posting!
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I joined OA on March 22nd and MFP on March 23rd. I'm learning so much through both. I would love to meet like-minded people through MFP as the support I have gained through both has been one of my best motivators and supports.

Thanks!!
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Please count me in ....Been OA member since 3/22/11...Working the program. Being part of an OA group would certainly benefit MY JOURNEY.
  • joyis1nchrist
    Options
    Okay, well, I found this by searching on the MFP site for Overeaters Anonymous, Here us my real picture and rea name cuz that is how I am on MFP so already I am breaking one of the main tenents (/anonymity) and of course online w no meetings, just a supportive message board we really can't keep the traditions too well. to that end I have my doubts how well this will work. /but then I have my doubts about everything at this hour of the night, day in the week...lol...I am back in the food and you should take what i say w a grain of salt as it is likely to be negative anyway...but I might be being too negative about myself when I say that :tongue:

I do not know how welcome I will be here either as I am a very old timer in OA and usually a stickler for the traditions. In open chat and message boards though it is more like being inn the parking lot after a meeting where open conversations and freewheeling discussions can take place. Where people give and solicit advice unlike a meeting where advice is frowned on, back and forth discussion is non existent and cross talk is not allowed so that it can be safe for everyone. I say all that because ven after 1/2 of my life in OA I am morbidly obese again and have tried many "easier, softer" ways including my most recent foray which is into weight loss surgery and now the Atkins diet once more.

But I am not giving up or quitting ever again (at least for today I'm not) so ODAT I am in w ya.
  • Enduranze3
    Enduranze3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would like to join! I've been wanting to go to OA but have honestly been too embarrassed.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have also thought about joining OA, i am an emotional eater and this has got me where i am today 364 lbs and contemplating weight loss surgery. I would love to learn more about the program
  • LORELLI
    LORELLI Posts: 24
    Options
    I've been considering starting OA meetings so any of your advice would be helpful. I found out they hold meetings right down the street from me and I want to check it out. I always laugh when my thin friends say they binged...."I ate almost the whole bag of cheetos..." Well how about the whole bag of cheetos, and a bag of cookies, and a value meal, and candy, and icecream....
    My dad was an alcoholic so maybe food is my choice of addiction. Either way I'm sick of it and ready to change. Have you all really benefited from the meetings to not binge eat?
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As long as it is secular I would love to be in it.
  • Lovelyhal
    Lovelyhal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, count me in - and yes it is secular chammich - a 12-step program talks about God or Higher Power, however you perceive that to be.

Looking forward to the group commencing.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I joined this program almost two monthes ago and it seems to be working.
    count me in please.